Which Is Better

0zzy

A oil bleed is better for the magura its self ......but a better feeling lever and responce ect ect.........would be a water bleed.......i would say over 50% of the forum run water bleeds

what is using water bad for the magura?

Water wont do the inside of the brake any favors, most people like the feel and reaction time better rather than oil. De-anodized (sp) water from halfords is slightly better for the workings of your brake. If you buy them new I would leave the oil in them until you encounter a problem with them then water bleed them. This means you can get a feel for both oil and water and you don't straight away have to bleed your new brake. If you get them new it might say something about this in the warranty.

Not sure about the warranty point but its worth a look just incase, as it does say in the instructions do not bleed with anything other than magura royal blood.

gusgus

Water wont do the inside of the brake any favors, most people like the feel and reaction time better rather than oil. De-ionised (sp) water from halfords is slightly better for the workings of your brake. If you buy them new I would leave the oil in them until you encounter a problem with them then water bleed them. This means you can get a feel for both oil and water and you don't straight away have to bleed your new brake. If you get them new it might say something about this in the warranty.

Not sure about the warranty point but its worth a look just incase, as it does say in the instructions do not bleed with anything other than magura royal blood.

gusgus

most of that is bollocks, the only reason it would rape the brake would be if there was air in the system, and bviously a good bleed wouldnt matter. and if it does dry bits out, lubricate them

most of that is bollocks, the only reason it would rape the brake would be if there was air in the system, and bviously a good bleed wouldnt matter. and if it does dry bits out, lubricate them

Well i said all of that because it can freeze mine did and as water expands it damage parts (didn't happen to me though) and it wont lubricate the the inside like the magura royal blood will. Although just do what you said and lubricate them.

Just incase it does seem like an argumentative reply, its not meant to.

gus

If you had the air and water in the system does that mean it will just rust wouldn't water do that anyway?

Well i said all of that because it can freeze mine did and as water expands it damage parts (didn't happen to me though) and it wont lubricate the the inside like the magura royal blood will. Although just do what you said and lubricate them.

Just incase it does seem like an argumentative reply, its not meant to.

gus

If you had the air and water in the system does that mean it will just rust wouldn't water do that anyway?

fair enough, it wont rust as its aluminium, but will take longer to oxidse with no air in the system.

also its easier to bath bleed, theres abit of an art to a syringe bleed.

hi. i have a magura on the back of my bike and ive used oil and water, but ive found that water is better for me because the reaction time is quicker, it has a better bite and it has a better hold. were as using the proper oil it is about the same but it you can feel more of a lock point but its not as responsive. if you use water in this weather remember to use a bit of anti-freeze with it because in this weather your brake will freeze up and it wont fell the best then!!!! :giggle: but it is entirely up to you, i would try them both and find out what is better for you. thanks daniel. (Y)

Edited by trial chapy

at first i used cooking oil but after a few days i wouldnt react as quick then i tried brake oil meant for hydraulics so i tried water but it got contaminated so i went to halfords and got some de-ionised water the stuff you put in car batteries that worked great for my maguras it has reliable reaction time also i'd advise you get brake boosters if you dont already have them they help alot ! also grind you rims

thx!

Well i said all of that because it can freeze mine did and as water expands it damage parts (didn't happen to me though)

In conttained spaces it damages parts. The good thing about it being a brake is as the water expands it just pushes the cylinders out as if you were pulling the lever. This results in your pads touching the rim but there shouldn't be enough water in there to cause damage after the pads cannot move out any further.

I run them with WD-40 :S seems to be ok......

I have been on a lot of trials bikes with a hs33 bled with water. personally i see no problem with it, being bled with water they are a lot more sensitive compared to a oil bleed. but at the end of the day this is only a opinion.

fair enough, it wont rust as its aluminium, but will take longer to oxidse with no air in the system.

also its easier to bath bleed, theres abit of an art to a syringe bleed.

That is so true. Tried it once did not work. Stuck with the bath bleed. A lot easier.

QUOTE (olismithtrials @ Jan 3 2008, 08:40 PM)

I run them with WD-40 seems to be ok......

That is so cool. Sorry i'm quite a geek/loser when it comes to some things. ha. Did you just spray loads in a basin or something then just do a normal bath bleed or are you skilled and can do a proper syringe bleed. Very jealous if you can. It is very hard to do for any kind of brake.

gus

In conttained spaces it damages parts. The good thing about it being a brake is as the water expands it just pushes the cylinders out as if you were pulling the lever. This results in your pads touching the rim but there shouldn't be enough water in there to cause damage after the pads cannot move out any further.

Also, maguras are designed to take huge pressures - like when you squeeze the lever for example. I don't know exactly how much pressure there will be in the system under hard braking but I imagine it's a lot. I.e. Water is probably not going to damage the system. However, having a ride cut short (and having to walk home) because your brake is locked on is not ideal :P

That is so cool. Sorry i'm quite a geek/loser when it comes to some things. ha. Did you just spray loads in a basin or something then just do a normal bath bleed or are you skilled and can do a proper syringe bleed. Very jealous if you can. It is very hard to do for any kind of brake.

Syringe bleeds aren't hard to do at all, but they're not easy to do well. The bath bleed is genius really - it's so easy to get a perfect bleed. For me that's the best argument for using water in a magura. Unless you're rich and like making a mess, then you can bleed maguras with a vat full of proper mineral oil. Anyway, yeah I've bled a brake with WD40 - just spray it into a bowl and then use the normal syringe method. But it's not very good...