Should My Bike Be Clicking?

Kevin Minato

Hello, I just got into Bike Trials two months ago.

I’m riding a short Adamant A3.

When I pedal, every time either my forward foot or back foot is at seven o-clock positions there is a loud click noise.

So what I was wondering is...

What piece on my bike is making that noise?

Is this normal?

Should I replace it?

Or should I just forget about it?

Any comments would help me.

Thank you.

pbpic1666396.jpg

Edited by Kevin Minatz

its your freewheel you will need to replace it or eventually the pawls will round off and it will not grip get a tensile one :D

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Check your pedal axles for play, bb for play and cranks. Could be a number of things, just make sure it's all tight.

I can't find the topic i was just reading anymore. It was called something like "Every time i put weight on my pedals it creaks" as i said that might not be accurate but anyway i say this as this persons pedals were or are still creaking and a member left a comment which i thought you wound find very useful.

I would send you a link but i cant find the topic but what it said was something like:-

grease the threads of your pedals if that doesn't stop the creaking take your bb out and give it a clean. If it still continues clean were your crank meets the splines/square taper of your cranks and take your cranks of and grease them a little.

think that was it all sorry i can't find the link i will keep looking and if i find it give you the link in this topic or somehow.

gus

its your freewheel you will need to replace it or eventually the pawls will round off and it will not grip get a tensile one :D

I love how you can take a description as simple as a "click" and be so definate on it being his freewheel. The pawls generally won't round off either, its usually the ratchet ring that rounds first, the pawls have to be a stronger material than the ratchet because the pawls take a tremendous amount of pressure during engagement and so they need to be super strong to cope with it. You also forgot to mention that easily 90% of bottom brackets at some point in their life go through a stage of clicking/creaking. The creaking/clicking period is usually a few weeks after you start riding on it, so depending on how much he's been riding it and how much force he's put through it i don't think its hard to assume that its his bottom bracket rather than his freewheel.

Good news is, the bottom bracket should stop making such a big noise pretty soon. Its like a bedding in period and once its been through enough abuse it stops whinging and becomes silent again. Of course this can be speeded up by putting a few drops of light oil (not wd40 or gt85) around the seals of the bottom bracket, so the small gap where the axle goes into the bottom bracket cup.

It might also be wise to take your pedals out and clean the threads on your pedals and the cranks and whack a fair amount of grease on them before re-fitting, like Jay said. Also take the crankarms off the bottom bracket axles and clean/re-grease them too.

My bottom bracket makes a right old racket if i go out riding in heavy rain.

You didn't tell me that your bike was making funny noises? Anyway as people have said above check for play in your cranks and bb. Tighten your crank bolts before taking any action involving money, if that fails then report back here and we'll guide you.

Edit: Sorry KrisBoats basically summed it up :$

Edited by Joeee