Who Knows About..

Joe Sheehan!

Right, a mate of mine is getting a Ford focus 1.8 TDCi, but they make 2 different power ones, a 115bhp model and then a 105bhp model. Basically what i need to know is how you can tell which one is which, he wants the 115bhp model but needs to know the differences incase he gets someone that tells him its the 115 when its really the 105. They're both 1753cc, and i really cant find any differences. Please help :(

Edited by Joe Sheehan!

Wikipedia says there are 3 different engines diesel 1.8 engines...

1.8 TDDi Diesel Europe 74bhp 175 N·m (129 ft·lbf) 54.9 115 mph (185 km/h)

1.8 TDDi Diesel Europe 89bhp 200 N·m (148 ft·lbf) 51.2 115 mph (185 km/h)

1.8 TDCi Diesel Europe 114bhp 250 N·m (184 ft·lbf) 51.4 123 mph (198 km/h)

If its a TDCi and not a TDDi i'm guessing its 114bhp ?

Edit: Although http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-418 seams to conflict completely. Humm.

if it's 2005 onwards, then that's the new shape. Before that the Focus was facelifted and tweaked around 2002.

If it's an old shape focus, the shape of the driving lights will show if it's facelifted or not. If the lights are rhombus shaped, then it's a newer one, if they're rounded then it's the original model.

Ok, I see the problem now on the original shape. I found this list:

1.8 TDi Ghia 5d (98) 12.1 s 111 mph 88 bhp

1.8 TDi Ghia 5d (01) 12.0 s 111 mph 88 bhp

1.8 TDCi Ghia (100ps) 5d 11.2 s 115 mph 98 bhp

1.8 TDCi Ghia 5d 10.4 s 122 mph 113 bhp

This list actually says when each varient was made, but you'll have to do some more digging I think:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=269

I expect if you give the Registration and Chassis Number to a Ford main dealer they would have access to the manufacture records to find out what specific version it is...

if you whap the reg number into autotraders site, ill find link to it, it links you to dlvas website and gives you a brief technical spec of car. dunno if it works on unregistered cars if he buys new

http://autotrader.co.uk/ ah its just red box on the left side to enter registration number

believe it or not, it's all about which letter in the TDCi is red...

if the i is red, it means it is a different engine to one with the T, D or C red. I can't remember which is which but i have a 2.0 TDDi and i knew when i bought it...

Bongo

if you whap the reg number into autotraders site, ill find link to it, it links you to dlvas website and gives you a brief technical spec of car. dunno if it works on unregistered cars if he buys new

http://autotrader.co.uk/ ah its just red box on the left side to enter registration number

That method is relying on what information DVLA hold, if DVLA don't have a very accurate model your not going to find out anything by doing that, you could get that DVLA info off of the V5 document without needing to look on the auto trader web site.

DVLA rarely have an accurate model on their system, its likely they will just have it as a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi without any specifics about the Bhp.

Also RAC vehicle checks are just £5 via www.rac.co.uk, if you have any problems doing the check you might even get to chat to me :P

I still say you would be best off speaking to a main ford garage/dealer.

(How sad am I? I'm not even in work and I'm giving people advice about buying cars :S )