Sprockets To A 24"?

Henrik Y

I'm making a list of parts that I need to build a 24" trial bike with an Inspired frame and I was thinking about the sprocket sizes.

On my 26" I have 22t/19t, would 18t/14t be the same on a 24" or should I even go with a 13t?

And crank length, 160mm or 170mm?

Anyone that have some experience and thoughts on this that could give me some help are welcome.

Here's a quick calculation to match the ratio on a 26" wheel to a 24" wheel. If you're running a 22:19 on the 26" bike that's a 1.16 ratio, that is 1.16 turns of the wheel for every turn of the pedals (22/19=1.158).

To get the same ratio on a 24" bike with an 18T freewheel, first convert the ratio you have on your current bike to that required for a 24" wheel by multiplying by the ratio of the tyre diameters (If you have both sized wheels handy, a more accurate ratio can be found by using the ratio of the tyre circumferences, which are more easily measured - measure the rolling circumference while on the bike rather than trying to run a measuring tape around the tyre though). This ratio is 1.25 (1.158 x 26/24 = 1.254).

To get this ratio from an 18T freewheel, divide the number of teeth on the freewheel by the ratio required (18/1.254 = 14.3). Rounding this to the nearest whole number gives 14 teeth as the closest ratio you can get (Though slightly higher). With a 20T chainring this would be 16T, or with a 22T chainring it would be 17 or 18T (This lands at 17.53 teeth, so you'd have to decide whether you like a noticeably higher or lower gear).

Edited by psycholist

Here's a quick calculation to match the ratio on a 26" wheel to a 24" wheel. If you're running a 22:19 on the 26" bike that's a 1.16 ratio, that is 1.16 turns of the wheel for every turn of the pedals (22/19=1.158).

To get the same ratio on a 24" bike with an 18T freewheel, first convert the ratio you have on your current bike to that required for a 24" wheel by multiplying by the ratio of the tyre diameters (If you have both sized wheels handy, a more accurate ratio can be found by using the ratio of the tyre circumferences, which are more easily measured - measure the rolling circumference while on the bike rather than trying to run a measuring tape around the tyre though). This ratio is 1.25 (1.158 x 26/24 = 1.254).

To get this ratio from an 18T freewheel, divide the number of teeth on the freewheel by the ratio required (18/1.254 = 14.3). Rounding this to the nearest whole number gives 14 teeth as the closest ratio you can get (Though slightly higher). With a 20T chainring this would be 16T, or with a 22T chainring it would be 17 or 18T (This lands at 17.53 teeth, so you'd have to decide whether you like a noticeably higher or lower gear).

Ok, thanks. I was thinking about 13t to get a little more speed. And this confirms that I will not get to far away from what I was thinking.

That seems really light John! What length cranks do you use? I'm currently running 18-13 with 165 cranks which is a little stiff but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Dave

Raceface northshore cranks 175, im using 22-19 on my 26 bike.

I havent built my inspired yet, so may change the gearing.