Beginner To Trials

SpikeX

Hi, my name is SpikeX and I would like to get into trials. I am 13 years old and I already ride downhill and XC mountain biking. I have a few questions I would like to ask:

Firstly, which bike would you recommend? I want something that is good quality and will not break straight away. Which wheel size is most popular (24" or 26")? What are their advantages and disadvantages? Also, what skills do I need to learn for balance, etc.?

Thanks

welcome mate, if i were you id probably sart out on a 20", an onza t-pro or t-bird is a good bike to start with depends on how much your willing to spend. 20" is good to start out on cos they are lighter and easyer to throw about. One problem with 20" though is you cant get up bigger stuff but they are the best to start out on.

Edited by Headley

Hi, my name is SpikeX and I would like to get into trials. I am 13 years old and I already ride downhill and XC mountain biking. I have a few questions I would like to ask:

Firstly, which bike would you recommend? I want something that is good quality and will not break straight away. Which wheel size is most popular (24" or 26")? What are their advantages and disadvantages? Also, what skills do I need to learn for balance, etc.?

Thanks

Nice Introduction, Welcome to the forum (Y)

Bike wise.....Get a T-Pro ! They are seriously your best bet, There cheap (ish) Great quality, Well spec'd, and they ride nice too ! And if you don't like it there so easy to sell again ! T-Poo

Trials bikes are normally split between wheel size Mod (20") - Stock (26") Although, it's more down to Preference than size (Y)

As for the basic moves, just concentrate on getting you balance up ! Stationary, No brake, Balancing. If your already up there on that then try for balancing on the back wheel, start with long wheelie's/manuals. Then move up to Kickhops ! You should be able to kickhop within a few days if you've got riding experience (Y) Try Using the Wiki' on here too, Its really usefull and will save making small topics so you get Validated quicker !

Wiki !

Jarrod

Thanks for all the fast and informative replies!

Aside from Onza, are there any other good, popular manufacturers? Are the Da Bomb bikes any good, or the Cannondales?

Please, NEVER buy a Da Bomb (Y) Have a look on Ebay and Tartybikes.co.uk or Trials-uk.co.uk If theres anything you like, Search for it and i bet you'll find a Review (Y) Or tell us how much, what and why and we'll find a few ?

Jarrod

I'm 13 years old, but I can quite easily throw a 20kg DH bike around. And I can do bunny hops and stuff on a 26" XC bike too easily.

I am about 168cm, which makes 5ft 7"ish.

Now were talking a whole different kettle of fish !

Go 26" ! What are you like with building bike ? Beacuse a Base TA26 in a really sweet frame for £99 ? Then you can spec it how you want ?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=2181

Jarrod

I've built a bike from scratch before, so building another one wounldn't be a problem at all.

The Echo bikes look awesome, but expensive. What makes trials bikes so expensive? Wheels, brakes?

trials biking is expesnive because it is a tiny sport compared to say football, get something onza perhaps a t-rex there mint bikes and can be picked up fairly cheap go give ebay and tartybikes a browse.

What do you think of the Onza Cleaner or Hitman? They look like good bikes, but the only worry I have is of component quality. I had this old Diamondback XC bike a few years back, and I broke or twisted almost every single part on it after a while because they were bad quality. But I'll take your word for it that Onza are good.

I went out practicing my skills today, and I realised that I can only balance on the bike without moving forwards for 5 seconds or so, which is pathetically low. So, I have a lot of practicing to do, but I was wondering if bike setup maybe had something to do with it? At the moment I'm practicing on a Specialized FSRxc, which only has 640mm wide handlebars. I assume that longer bars would help?

pick up a second hand echo control/pure or trex. something that doesnt have a silly long wheelbase or a high bb. if you can find someone selling a decent quality 2nd hand bike, you'll end up most likely getting a better value for money and higer quality ride. just practice the basics and im sure you'll pick it up quick enough.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Onza-T-Rex-26-Trials...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/brand-new-24-7-trial...1QQcmdZViewItem

hope thats some help

craig

Hey mate, Welcome to the forum. Nice grammer too :) Atleast 1 new member knows grammer, anyway lets begin. Basically knowing the price range of what you want to spend would be a big help! Then we can get you up and running :)

Edited by Sam Fenchurch

Welcome

Don't go Mod (20") you will regret it later

20" are easier to start on but it is quite hard to change from a 20" to a 26" later on and you will find it easier after Downhill

As you already have experience chucking a bike around I recommend a 26" as later on (a few months) you will find it easier to do bigger things than if you were on a mod (20")

As for bikes onza make a few stocks (26") and they often are a reasonable price

I personally would buy a 2nd hand bike either off ebay or wait untill you get validated and get one off the classifieds here as you get a decent spec bike for a good price

If you want to learn skills this website Link is very good as it also has videos to show you

Well put tim.....

Yeah basically go 2nd hand, and a you've got a background in mtb, like me id advise you go for a stock (26")...mods are too small and ride so strangely, and 24s are so hard to get parts for....som might say that a stock is too big to throw around, but if youve been riding dh with a 15kg+ bike, a 10kg trials bike'll be easily mauled around