Monty Freewheel Question.

rudirudirudirudirudi

just went down to the local bike shop and apparently its just a sort of freak freewheel. they all do it to some degree just some are just randomly worse than others.... something to do with it not quite being centered... nothing i can do to be honest........ dont think tarty will take it back so ill just use it. ^_^

The problem is probably down to maintaining concentricity between the internal thread of the freewheel body, its bearing surface, the bearings, the bearing surface of the ratchet ring and the machining of the teeth. Only slight variance of any of these factors is enough to cause the problem. With a generic product like this we have often found it difficult to stay on top of quality control as you have not had any real input into the manufacturing process. The Tensile on the other hand is entirely ours and we lay down its tolerances. We also make sure that both inner and outer rings are machined concentrically. This is not to say that it will always run concentrically as that is also down to the concentricity of your crank thread to bottom bracket axle to bottom bracket cups and bearings. Thats a lot of scope for variance.

i new that freewheels did it a bit. just not this much....... now that i have been to the bike shop i know for sure its just the freewheel. i was worrying about having to buy another frame when iv only had this one for a bit.

thanks for all your help guys....

no more freewheels for me. had enough of them...... im going to go profile. :turned:

cheers.

x

how come mine doesnt do it? i have the same freewheel as you?

There are so many variables you can't really say. Firstly, you've got to consider the quality of the cranks, ISIS spline, bb trueness.

For instance, I've been using an Onza 18T sprocket for about 3 years on about 5 different cranks. Every time I change my cranks or bb, the chain tensions in a different place, and gets loose in another.

The freewheel is another problem. Recently, Monty have started welding up their freewheels. Ever since, the freewheels have stopped turning smoothly. Some are ok but the majority aren't which suggests that the chainring itself isn't perfectly round. Maybe I've just got a bad batch, but the quality seems to be dropping. One customer actually received a freewheel with a cut through sidewall so the bearing was exposed from the inside. I'll take some proper pictures of that when it's returned to me.