Am I Water Bleeding Correctly?

JoeM

So recently I've been running a water bleed due to me not having a syringe, but, I've found myself having to rebleed it every couple of weeks due to the brake pulling to far in. Its not my pads, there set up perfect. Could it be down to the fact my TPA is fecked? Or is it just I'm bleeding wrongly?

To water bleed I:

Unscrew the bleed screws on both pistons under water.

Hold the hole on the leaver hole(master cyclinder?).

Pump the brake then realease the my thumb from the leaver hole and let go of leaver.

Continue.

Then after about 1 week of riding it starts to become wank.

Help?

I undo them both under water, pump it for bout 2mins slowly, tighten them back up under water, and they always seem to work ?

Ur not using dengura are you ? If so you might have a leak ?

Nope :S. Its not leaking, well not as i can see..

I have one thing to say: Do not bleed hydraulic brakes with the incorrect fluid. You will regret it.

water bleeds rule (Y)

Been running mine now in front and rear maggies for 3 years or so with no problems at all.

Cheap Free , not as messy and seriously better braking imo (much more responsive)

As for your problem, I've never bled without a syringe and never have any problems so can i suggest you get one? Will make bleeding so much easier!

Something which may enable air to get into your system is how quickly you fill your bath / sink, if you stick the tap on full loads of tiny air bubbles will be floating around and therefore end up in your brakes, when they are sat in your system for a while they will start to form a large bubble causing your squishyness.

Try running the tap real slow and down the edge of the bath / sink so the water does not get air trapped in?

just guessing here so hope it helps!

Kev

water bleeds rule (Y)

Been running mine now in front and rear maggies for 3 years or so with no problems at all.

Cheap Free , not as messy and seriously better braking imo (much more responsive)

As for your problem, I've never bled without a syringe and never have any problems so can i suggest you get one? Will make bleeding so much easier!

Something which may enable air to get into your system is how quickly you fill your bath / sink, if you stick the tap on full loads of tiny air bubbles will be floating around and therefore end up in your brakes, when they are sat in your system for a while they will start to form a large bubble causing your squishyness.

Try running the tap real slow and down the edge of the bath / sink so the water does not get air trapped in?

just guessing here so hope it helps!

Kev

Thats the exact answer I wanted. May buy a heatsink bleed kit :).

Thanks Joe

is there a guide for this, just tryed undoing the brake lever in my sink with water and nothing changed? ive seen the guide on wiki but its confusing for me. :huh:

undo both the bleed bolts underwater

put your finger over the brake cylinder hole, and press the lever in -

put your finger on the lever hole and take it off the brake hole, and release the lever.

then repeat

thus, you suck just water through the brake end and push water &/or air out of the lever end

Edited by Disasterboy

undo both the bleed bolts underwater

put your finger over the brake cylinder hole, and press the lever in -

put your finger on the lever hole and take it off the brake hole, and release the lever.

then repeat

thus, you suck just water through the brake end and push water &/or air out of the lever end

"both the bleed bolts underwater" is there two? theres only one cable leading to the lever or am i also ment to do the actual brake?

"both the bleed bolts underwater" is there two? theres only one cable leading to the lever or am i also ment to do the actual brake?

Theres one next to the hose going into the lever in a little hole, the other is on the piston.

oh, so i cover the hole, remove the cable and pump the brake till all the air comes out?

No, you place the brake into a bath/bucket, you undo both of the bolts (lever and piston), then you cover the hole on the piston and pull brake in, then remove your thumb/finger from the hole and let go of the lever and so on. If your brake has been bled with oil, keep going till ALL of the oil and air is out. Look in the wiki section.

Ok, brakes just been bled, seems fine. I'll report back when it starts to go shite again. I think danny is right, I do have a slow leak. How can I check? I've looked other the break thuroughly(sp?) and can't see anything. Where is the most likely place for the leak to be?