I Have A Big Problem With My Head Set!

Kevin Minato

so basically my handle bars are extremely tight and sometimes when I turn them my head set will make loud clicking noises

Just watch this video it will explain everything

whats wrong and how do i fix it.

(please expain in extreme detail im pretty new with the whole bike thing)

please help me, i cant not ride, its killing me.

thank you

I'm pretty certain the problem is that the bearings are dead/crushed or lacking maintenance. To know which and also to fix it you must get the forks off. The reason the forks are staying on is because of the wedgelike spacer on the top, all you need do to get the forks out is to tap the top of the steerer with a mallet or hammer. Once you start taking the headset apart make sure you remember which bit goes where as they are all there for a reason. Inside the top cup there should be a set of caged bearings and a larger set of caged in the bottom cup. If they look ok(doesn't need to be perfect as those headsets are tanks) you should clean out the cups and then reapply some grease/lube and put back together(be careful which way up the cages are as they don't work properly upisde down). If the cages are bent, bearings/cups damaged find suitable replacements.

This is where I think your problem may be. The bolt that goes into the forks need only be so tight as to stop any movement, over tightening can crush the cage/bearings and damage the cups not to mention causing the steering to become extremely stiff.

Edited by ZeroMatt

You know what, respect for making a video and giving us some real idea to what's going on. Most people just spend 2 seconds explaining what the problem is and it doesn't help anyone.

As for the problem, i'd go with what is said above. It seems you have the correct headset installed.

if its been over tightened to the point the bearings are crushed or ridden loose to get it like that, then i would check the bearing races themselves. i expect they are severely pitted and grooved. which even when you put new bearings back in, will make it feel rough. i doubt when you do take it apart its going to look particulary pretty! maybe new headset time.

Yep looks like its royally cream-crackered...i recommend getting a pig headset to replace it, and keeping on top of the maintenance...it'll serve you well, mine kept on going even after i snapped my forks and impacted the bearings into the bottom race!

I was going to say it sounds like it's been overtightened, and the bearings have been crushed.

Problem with Pig headsets, is that they're ever so slightly oversized, and King's are undersized, so when I went from a Pig to a King, my headset just pressed in my hand.

But the Pig needs a lot of force to get back in.

:closedeyes: