Drum And Bass Creation

*PHIL*

Right, im doin a college project, its the final massive project and i have to make a song using loads of techniques and shit, basically just use audio and midi and make a mint song.

Anyway, i decided to make a drum and bass song with live drums and guitars, midi synth and bass and some drums etc.. its my final project and it needs to sound mint so im basically just goin for the pendulum sound, but i cant get anywhere near, the bass is shit, cant make basslines, and the drum sound weak.

The song isnt gonna be like, released or anything so im not f**ked about ripping stuff off for now, just needs to sound good. just wonderin if anyone who does music producing could have a listen and give me some pointers.

if you know shit all about music production, probs best to just not post, i dont want any replys saying "more bass" or anything.

if you are posting, then i know there are obvious parts of the song that need fixing, like the guitars are shit-ly played and the synth needs a bit more volume.

cheers

Phil

Edited by *PHIL*

Hmmm, synth is used wrong i think, its mostly used in the chorus of a track. Also an introduction with pianos and whatnot helps to make a good track. I find that most D&B is usually calm, then builds up to an innuendo. The clip is a good basis, but i think the guitar is a bit too heavy. Really reminds me of street fighter for some reason lol. But yea as i said, good basis but needs working on.

Really reminds me of street fighter for some reason lol.

word

to make it more d&b, i'd've used faster drums, but seeing as you're using live drums, that might strain the drummer.

The synth... if you can use an EQ on just the synth, up the treble and the bass of it

what are you using?

Sounding like Pendulum is not easy mate - what stuff do you use?

I would guess that they use several thousands of pounds worth of equipment and software...

I know a bit about production but it's not easy to make Pendulum like sounds - the DnB I've made always sounds weak.

Listening to it you may want to mess with the guitar a little - hard to explain as I don't know the extra filter but it makes a kind "wub" noise. Like a flanger but more liquid sounding... That was a gay explanation.

yeh my stuff always sounds weak too so i give up, but gotta finish this one. i tried using a synth and guitars to add some meat to it, and it has worked to some extent, but the bass is just nothing, you cant really hear it in the mix over the guitars.

and the live drums are actually just sampled hits-forgot to mention, so i can do whatever with them.

im using reason 4, logic 8 at home and reason, logic, and a like, million quid studio at college, think the outboard stuff is just like compressors ad reverb, maybe eq, we never use em though.

wobbly bass, thats what i need

Edited by *PHIL*

yeh my stuff always sounds weak too so i give up, but gotta finish this one. i tried using a synth and guitars to add some meat to it, and it has worked to some extent, but the bass is just nothing, you cant really hear it in the mix over the guitars.

and the live drums are actually just sampled hits-forgot to mention, so i can do whatever with them.

im using reason 4, logic 8 at home and reason, logic, and a like, million quid studio at college, think the outboard stuff is just like compressors ad reverb, maybe eq, we never use em though.

wobbly bass, thats what i need

reason, excellent

i have 2.5 :(

i came up with summat that you might be able to use for your synth, if i saved it you could copy the devices over?

well, i've sent it

i hope you like

to get the what sounds like an envelope filter effect, you could automate the frequency knob on the filter A

(Y)

MAILER DEMON!

i've resent it (Y) keep a finger on the refresh button

Edited by Disasterboy

Hey,

I'm on a Music Production course at ACM in Guildford (www.acm.ac.uk). I'd gladly get some pointers for you.

Also, I'm taught by some massive d&b fanatics, a few even have world recognition, can sure get them to have a listen to it :)

sounds sweet mate, you can download that sample a few posts up if you like (or click here), thats literally all i have so far, i tend to build up the main part of a song then do the rest so im working off that.

You are gonna mix and EQ that....right?

What's most important is that for each instrument you need to 'carve' a sound in the frequency range for it. So the bass you EQ/mix it to a suitable level, then slot in the bass drum slightly above the bass frequencies you're using and it'll stand out more. Synths like the one you've got in that sample (mostly FM or subtractive with lots of highs) and distorted guitars always conflict so whichever you're looking to have as the most present needs to have the higher frequencies EQ'd slightly above those of the lesser instrument.

Panning in an intense track like a dnb track will help things a lot too. Have the kick, snare and crash all set to centre, then move your hats (use two, or have a half-beat stereo delay) to either side. If you're using some decent speakers, sit in an equilateral triangle with them and you'll be able to pick out the subtleties in your panning technique.

Change the bass drum sound, it's too muted. Also the snare sound still isn't good enough. The hats are also pretty bad, maybe try them with a bit more of an open sound in the more energetic parts. How proficient are you at writing drums?

Me personally, I like drums in electronic music to be very technical. Something that a normal drummer couldn't play. TO me it sounds like it needs more snare rushes and ting.

The drum parts sabrepulse uses are awesome, in my opinion. But he doesn't have his best songs on myspace unfortunately.

Sabrepulse

Note the way he uses very very quick rushes on the snare and hats to make sounds that don't sound like they are from drums. Also note his panning techniques, which are awesome.

All I can say is Logic Pro 8. Although people like Nosia use Cubase, Logic is where it's at. There are some guys in my class who have produced some stuff which is pretty amazing!

I'll play that to Prof Stretch tomorrow, get his opinions on it. He's gonna say EQ though :P

All I can say is Logic Pro 8. Although people like Nosia use Cubase, Logic is where it's at. There are some guys in my class who have produced some stuff which is pretty amazing!

I'll play that to Prof Stretch tomorrow, get his opinions on it. He's gonna say EQ though :P

i use logic 8 pro at the moment, but only for recording, like guitars etc.. what do you suggest i use? the synths?

i cant get my head round the synths in logic though, i know how they work, but just cant seem to get what i want, thats why i just use reason synths.

but yeah, let me know what the guy thinks, whats his full name btw?

Edited by *PHIL*

i use logic 8 pro at the moment, but only for recording, like guitars etc.. what do you suggest i use? the synths?

i cant get my head round the synths in logic though, i know how they work, but just cant seem to get what i want, thats why i just use reason synths.

but yeah, let me know what the guy thinks, whats his full name btw?

new version up also, replaced snare with the live one ill use in the final track, eq'd a bit, mixed levels.

Adrian Shortman. More commonly known for "Dub Wars", released on XXL Records. Dance Conspiracy.... very good shizz!

Logic 8 Synths just need a bit of working with. Fiddle with the ES2 and ES1. You'll get some wicked sounds out. Use some of the presets and alter them for a start (Y)

Go Daft Punk on their ass, sample an old 50s song with an up beat techno, jazz it up, mixing levels and mixing choruses and shit and sell it on, it's a perfectly legit way of macking music and it works so well for Daft Punk...

cheers, dont download that last mix btw, something f**ked up and its all distorted

Don't use reason ;) I only used it for a while, because it had, what I thought, nice string sounds. Plus, Reddrum was a good bit of fun!

Dunno what logic 4 is like though... it is 4 now right ?

Don't use reason ;) I only used it for a while, because it had, what I thought, nice string sounds. Plus, Reddrum was a good bit of fun!

Dunno what logic 4 is like though... it is 4 now right ?

you mean reason 4?

its alot better imo, college still has reason 2.5 and it sounds really weak in comparison.