The Key To Pushing Boundaries....

Phil H

Well following a previous topic about how its hard to push your limits sometimes and very easy to wimp out, I think I have found the answer... mates.

Today I rode with a dirt jumping mate of mine who really pushed me and made me do stuff I would normally walk away from claiming I would return to do it some other time.

For example it began to rain abit, I had ridden for 5 hours so was knackered and came to a wall which he effectively made me do. Previous sidehop best was 36" and did this 42" wall first time (which is still small for most of you but sidehopping isn't my strong point). So it proves I was capable I just needed egging on. And now I can challenge myself further and maybe do 45" after a couple of attempts.

So yeah supports from fellow riders is the way to push your limits I can conclude.

Any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

Phil

I couldn't agree more mate!

I think if you're riding by yourself, you're scared to fall off 'cause you may feel more embarassed.

Riding with a mixture of beginners and experts also helps,

'cause if you teach a beginner the basics, you yourself will master the basics even more,

and experts because they will always inspire and push you!

Ben

Isnt that jut using common sense ? is seems abit simple if you have your mates there telling you to do it then normaly you will ......

yeah but he probly means like serious egging on. rather than the usualy stuff like "do it or ill give u a slap"

his jump biker mate was probly a serious rider and really really gave him the confidence to do it

Mike Hayes tell's me many of times trials is all in the mind. The mind is a powerfull thing. The "Don't give a f**k attitude" works so well. You fall off you fall off, you cut yourself you cut yourself. Meh, get back up and try it again. You only learn from your mistakes.

There is a saying:

"Pain is temporary...Giving up is for ever".

Pain hurts yes. It's just one of them things. Fear is also a powerful emotion. You've gotta break that fear barrier. Just beat it, you bail, you'll more thna likely hurt yourself, but like i said "Pain is temporary" wait till its gone, get up and try it again.

All in the head man (Y).

Danny.

Edited by Danny Kearns

Mike Hayes tell's me many of times trials is all in the mind. The mind is a powerfull thing. The "Don't give a f**k attitude" works so well. You fall off you fall off, you cut yourself you cut yourself. Meh, get back up and try it again. You only learn from your mistakes.

There is a saying:

Pain hurts yes. It's just one of them things. Fear is also a powerful emotion. You've gotta break that fear barrier. Just beat it, you bail, you'll more thna likely hurt yourself, but like i said "Pain is temporary" wait till its gone, get up and try it again.

All in the head man (Y) .

Danny.

Not necessarily, there's usually another day to go back and do something? I'd rather not force myself to do something I wasn't into doing at the time and possibly knacker myself in some way (thus meaning time off recovering). I find that if I want to do bigger moves, I'll do them. If I'm not feeling it that day, I don't force it, I just go with the flow.

I can do bigger moves if I have to, like if we're out filming or shooting photos or whatever, but in general, I prefer to just do stuff if I'm in the mood for it. I have periods where I want to go out and scare myself, so I do, but I have other times where I just wanna do something tech, or learn a new move or whatever, so I'll do that instead.

Riding with other people helps though, especially people who ride differently to you. Just seeing spots get used in a different way is all good.

I stopped riding a few years ago, and i recently got a new bike, only been riding probably not even 2 weeks now (due to not having a bike for about a month! ) but now i feel as though i am riding possibly better than i was before, maybe not going as big but my riding quality seems to be better. i may not be going as big but my technique seems to have got a lot more solid which has given me the confidance to do things which are bigger. For example there was a gap i used to look at when i rode, it wasnt majorly big but it was over a set of stairs, i used to try it and failed miseribly every time i tried, but because i had made my riding technique better and i was not as sketchy i managed to do the gap first time!

personaly my problem is gap drops to rails, and just drops, i hate them so much i will try to do the gap backwards IE gap up 2ft than go down! purely because i hate them! I dont have a problem with sidehoping stuff or backwheeling stuff, as i mean you faf that up your going to fall what 50" absoloute max! your not going to do to mych damage faling that height! where as drop gaps from 6ft+ up and 8ft whatever out to a rail can cause some damage! thats where i have my problem haha!

So my advice would be, practive your technique and get to a comfortable level of riding on your bike, this will then give you the confidance to try some thing bigger and you will over look the "that will be painfull" thought you get in your mind and it will be overtaken by "That would be mega if i could gap from there onto that rail!"

Also dont compare yourself to other riders. I used to try and keep up with the riding standards of my mates i was just messing almost everything up which i tried so when i started riding with better riders i was just on my arse all the time over the stupidest things! If you are trying your best to side hop 30" and your mates going 50" who gives a mellon, your riding, enjoy it!

hope thats of some help to you mate!

Edited by Radfax

I usually get to a point, I look at the people in who inspire my riding and think; "I want to get to that level one day", and realise the only way I can is to try.

Always think a line or situation through with "Whats the worst that can happen?", "I could easily jump off unharmed if it doesn't go to plan".

I'm still not 100% commited though, as I personally feel that I don't fall off enough, therefore I'm not trying as hard as I can.

But my best way of going bigger riding was to film the line or move that you want do, especially if its one of those things you only try once.

If you make it, you've got it on camera and you can show the world how amazing it was by putting it into a video, if you bail or screw up again you have it on camera so you have a bail for your video.

There is a saying:

All in the head man (Y).

Danny.

I m with him...but as it's says, hurt is temporary, but injuries aren't

so the best way to improve your riding is to control your fear and be carful in the same time...

If you feck yourself on a stupid huge drop gap...you will maybe not be able to ride during a long period...and that's not the best way to get better

so the control is the key

As soo many people sad before, and in other sports, its soo true, "No pain, No gain" keep it in mind, and ride your bike as you have never did it before...

Patellar tendonitis, caused by some of my muscles contracting when I was off due to my f**ked ankle, have meant that in the last 4 months there's been a f**kload of pain, but not much gain...

I m with him...but as it's says, hurt is temporary, but injuries aren't

so the best way to improve your riding is to control your fear and be carful in the same time...

If you feck yourself on a stupid huge drop gap...you will maybe not be able to ride during a long period...and that's not the best way to get better

so the control is the key

Cheers for all the replies guys.

I agree with chimpanzy, ride up to the edge of your limits but obviously don't even bother doing something there is no way you're capable of. I suppose the problem is finding where your limit are but it's way too easy to fall into the trap of only doing stuff you know you can do, which I was more or less in for the last few months until now.

Phil

Ive been in lots and lots of pain for 6 months, im not gonna lie ive gained nothing

ive lost f**kloads though.

:lol:

it's way too easy to fall into the trap of only doing stuff you know you can do, which I was more or less in for the last few months until now.

you need to ride with some riders who are better than you