Seatbelt Fine Question

BONGO

I've just been pulled for not wearing a seatbelt. I had a hi-vis clad policeman walk out and signal me into a laybay because a plain clothed policeman on the pavement saw me without a seatbelt on and radioed ahead to have me stopped.

The thing is, i WAS wearing my seatbelt...

He fined me £30, but i'm not happy at all for obvious reasons. I know i can contest it, but i also know if they believe police over me, the fine could be raised.

Anyone contested it?? I've not been this annoyed in along time....

Thats well tough. Say how did you see me from the side of the road he must of stared at you all the way up the road. Thats odd just because one saw you who was walking? I saw them on pavements and they seen people on mobiles and done nothing

Say you were and without photographic evidence you want to be reimbursed. The officer was clearly mistaken - ask for a statement from the Policeman who actually pulled you in regarding what he saw instead of the guy at the roadside.

I thought with spot-fines like that you have to pay, THEN complain about it? They don't let you go 'til you've sorted it out, as far as I know.

I'd contest it, personally. If they don't have any proof you weren't wearing one, and you know you were, just point that out to them.

Possible problem is that paying the fine could be seen as an admission of guilt. Personally I would've refused, on principle, to pay the fine.

I have 28 days to pay. It's a fixed penalty notice.

SORRY!! DIDNT READ IT ALL!!!

Really isn't worth contesting, the courts see you as a nuisance! A freind of mine who got pulled over at night on the motorway, coming off the motorway and said he had no seatbelt on! When he had it on whilst he was talking to the police office, who replied with PROVE IT. The police officer was pissed because he thought my mate had been speeding but didn't have a camera to prove it! Mate contested it, court said no chance! Police over you! Still got the fine!

System over here is shit! My insurance company had not updated the MIB database when i took insurance out, so the police thought i had no insurance, so took my car off me at the side of the road! Luckily the officer believed me that it was a insurance error so didn't give me a summons to court, but he said if he did, even if i had proof i had insurance they would say it was MY responsibility to check the insurance had update the database! and give me a fine / points / maybe a ban!!!

Edited by love_trials

SORRY!! DIDNT READ IT ALL!!!

DO NOT CONTEST!! I KNOW HOW ANNOYING IT IS< WAS IN A CAR AND IT HAPPENED TO A MATE OF MINE!! THE HASTLe OF GOING TO COURT WAS A WASTE OF TIME< THEY BELEIVE THE POLICE OVER YOU!!

Awesome post. Just awesome. If I was you I'd write to the Chief Constable (or whoever) of the force who issued the NIP and explain what happened. Make a point that you're a motorcyclist and know how dangerous people are on the roads and that you've always worn your belt and certainly was on the day in question. If they don't back down just pay the fine (rather than bother with court etc- I take it points aren't involved) but if you can instill reasonable doubt in their minds they might just let you off.

Oh yeah, and Bongo- where's this pic of the rats nest?!

I thought as much, and decided to pay it, but with a large letter and a clear ending which put them in some sort of corner to reply to the letter, which was basically saying that despite payment it was in no way an admission of guilt but was about the only option i realistically had etc etc, all expertly worded by office worker expert of language mother lol.