Trailer For Vid In Progress (bmx Mod Guy)

sayshell

lol so let me get this right... in like 90% of vids of someone can flex their muscles or drink or act stupid half of the video and its not dumb.... but when i show less than 3 seconds of thematic imagery which has everything to do with the music its dumb right?

I shouldn't get a bmx I should get a skateboard. people started street riding on skateboards hence Ill be better on a skateboard by your logic. I mean its not like the wide rear tire helps me manuel, its not like the 985mm wheelbase is perfect for spin tricks, its not like having a 16lb bike helps my riding in any way, its not like having a low gear ratio helps me with tech spins, and its not like having good brakes effects my riding at all. You all clearly know exactly what your talking about...

Might help stability slightly but it creates more drag and slows you down faster. I honestly can't help but notice the last sentence, did it not occur to you that people still use bmx's for riding these kinds of moves and not trials bikes? There must be a reason for it surely? Like the trials bike geometry making the controls twitchy at high speeds, moving your weight distribution to the wrong place etc.... All of the things you mentioned are available on a bmx, bmx's are short for spins, good geo so they are easier to ride for this kind of thing and you can get some pretty good brakes on bmx's.

The depressive, self suicide style clip got me in the wrong frame of mind for the vid too :(

Great vid. I really don't know why trials has this pretentious, self-righteous attitude of elitism. Due what what ever the f**k bike you want, you're obviously doing it very well. Im sure a lot of people are just jealous, and some just plain narrow minded. Sure for the majority a BMX would be better/easie/whatever but this guys enjoys riding the way he does on a trials bike.....so what ,if it works for him (which it clearly does) then just leave him to it.

Jesus ,he's not hurting anyone by riding a trials bike - he's having fun, i hate the over classification of what a bike is exactly, and therefore it is is one such category then heaven forbid you use it for anything else..... that would be terrible.

It seems this development in bike technology has caused such divides and elitist attitudes, when in years gone by everyone had such little choice, they rode however they wanted.

I'm not saying this development is bad ,but you shouldn't be restricted to riding in one particular way due to the bike your on. This guy is not trying to race down hill, hes just throwing in some moves on a ..... small framed, 20'' wheeled bike - its not like its a million miles away from a BMX.

Carry on bud ,i look forward to seeing the full vid.

i thought it was quite cool, probably because its something different done on a trials bike.

stop the bitching guys, its either you like the video or you don't, i don't think he's going to change his bike just because you said its 'not right'-what is the right bike?

steve

I agree completely. The focus is the riding not the bike.

Might help stability slightly but it creates more drag and slows you down faster. I honestly can't help but notice the last sentence, did it not occur to you that people still use bmx's for riding these kinds of moves and not trials bikes? There must be a reason for it surely? Like the trials bike geometry making the controls twitchy at high speeds, moving your weight distribution to the wrong place etc.... All of the things you mentioned are available on a bmx, bmx's are short for spins, good geo so they are easier to ride for this kind of thing and you can get some pretty good brakes on bmx's.

The depressive, self suicide style clip got me in the wrong frame of mind for the vid too :(

"street riding" is not a general term. Its already subdivided. For example some riders do all grinds, some do big hucks and all fast moves. For my style of tricks the bike works perfect. I started as a pure trials rider on a trials bike for the first 3 years before i did street. This bike feels triasly, so the transition was super easy. I guarantee any one of u could get on my bike and would think it feels great. (unless your tall) Anyways things change... look at bmxes now my friend runs wider bars then i do, they all got micro gearing, their seats are becoming lower and lower or even non-existant.

"street riding" is not a general term. Its already subdivided. For example some riders do all grinds, some do big hucks and all fast moves. For my style of tricks the bike works perfect. I started as a pure trials rider on a trials bike for the first 3 years before i did street. This bike feels triasly, so the transition was super easy. I guarantee any one of u could get on my bike and would think it feels great. (unless your tall) Anyways things change... look at bmxes now my friend runs wider bars then i do, they all got micro gearing, their seats are becoming lower and lower or even non-existant.

Still doesn't mean the reasons you stated were shit. Wide bars on bmx's are crap for spins. And your body position is still in the wrong place because of the stem height and bb geo, which makes levelling the bike out harder in the air. I get that you like your bike for riding bmx on, thats fine, but your reasons aren't significant enough to outweigh the downsides. Coming on a biking forum and suggesing people are talking shit isn't really very smart, especially when the crap reasons seem to be coming from you.

I agree with Sayshell. Ride what you want on whatever bike you want. It's not up to other people to tell you what you can and can't ride. Obviously quite a lot of people are saying that you'd be better off on a BMX, but who cares. As much as I'd like to ride BMX, I just don't get on with them at all. If you like your bike for this sort of stuff, fair play, carry on :)

Still doesn't mean the reasons you stated were shit. Wide bars on bmx's are crap for spins. And your body position is still in the wrong place because of the stem height and bb geo, which makes levelling the bike out harder in the air. I get that you like your bike for riding bmx on, thats fine, but your reasons aren't significant enough to outweigh the downsides. Coming on a biking forum and suggesing people are talking shit isn't really very smart, especially when the crap reasons seem to be coming from you.

Incorrect ;)

I don't really get what BMX you've ridden that made those moves 'harder', unless the gear ratio was too hard for you to do those kicks into the 180s out of manuals instead of doing them "Properly" (I'm aware that's a shit term, but you are effectively just bitch cranking into them...) or something like that.

I think the reason people are saying "Get a BMX" is simply because as a logical progression of your riding, as your riding gets bigger and bigger, a BMX is going to be way better. When you start doing bigger stair sets, bigger drops, etc., having a stronger set of forks and a stronger frame will be pretty useful. I guess (From what you said you're running sus forks?) your setup, and the way you ride, mean that it might last a while riding like you are, but like I said, when you start going bigger, the positives of a BMX will be better than those of your current bike. I was in the same boat as you - I was doing more manual lines and spins on my trials bike, and I realised that if I took it as far as I wanted to, I may as well use the correct tool for the job.

EDIT: Just another thing - seems like most trials riders base their opinions of what BMXs are like on either cheap, shitty completes, from riding a BMX like a trials bike, or just from not being used to them at all. They aren't easy to ride coming straight off a trials bike (I rode BMX and trials over a year or so and it still took me a while to get used to my BMX from riding my trials bike), but once you get used to them, they open up a hell of a lot of doors in terms of riding.

Incorrect ;)

ditto. there's bmxers out there who'd cut their bars down so its 'easier' for spins but i know a few of my mates who can just ride with normal width-ed bars.

can do do all sorts of crazy stuff and they're bloody awesome riders, infact one of them rides for federal. so as much as i know about bmxing, i think thats damn good?

at the end of the day its all preference....

steve.

ditto. there's bmxers out there who'd cut their bars down so its 'easier' for spins but i know a few of my mates who can just ride with normal width-ed bars.

can do do all sorts of crazy stuff and they're bloody awesome riders, infact one of them rides for federal. so as much as i know about bmxing, i think thats damn good?

at the end of the day its all preference....

steve.

Who might that be?

EDIT: Says you're from Milton Keynes - Derek Strickland, yeah?

this is going to get long lol. First of all i said no one knew what they were talking about cause not 1 person provided a single reason as to why, they were just saying get a bmx. You call my reasons crap? You said a wide tire sucks cause of rolling resistance. Looks like I won't be winning tour de france anytime soon. The only trick rolling resistance effects is if u do a 10km manuel, and I preferr short techy ones as opposed to just going as long as you physically can. Second off I never go big at all. Its not my style. I do tech combos and thats it. What are the cons of my bike? If its not breaking then I don't have a problem. If you were trying to help me I would appreciate it and thank you, but u are just trying to make me look stupid to improve your reputation... its a forum its expected.

Look their is obviously a first for everything. As trials progressed they got lower and lower frames until they dropped seats. Now they are so specialized they only work for trials, u can't even use them for transportation. My riding is a branch off street riding. By choosing my bike i loose grinds, barspins, and high speed huge moves. However it works good for medium speed tech/flow moves which is what my sub-style is.

Edited by sayshell

Incorrect ;)

I don't really get what BMX you've ridden that made those moves 'harder', unless the gear ratio was too hard for you to do those kicks into the 180s out of manuals instead of doing them "Properly" (I'm aware that's a shit term, but you are effectively just bitch cranking into them...) or something like that.

I think the reason people are saying "Get a BMX" is simply because as a logical progression of your riding, as your riding gets bigger and bigger, a BMX is going to be way better. When you start doing bigger stair sets, bigger drops, etc., having a stronger set of forks and a stronger frame will be pretty useful. I guess (From what you said you're running sus forks?) your setup, and the way you ride, mean that it might last a while riding like you are, but like I said, when you start going bigger, the positives of a BMX will be better than those of your current bike. I was in the same boat as you - I was doing more manual lines and spins on my trials bike, and I realised that if I took it as far as I wanted to, I may as well use the correct tool for the job.

I don't go big. I am never going to huck 20 sets, read what i previously said. I do low speed tech combos and thats it. You are just generalizing me. You assume cause i ride street that automatically means im trying to ride like mike hodder. My riding is much closer to chase dehart and even still its not very similar at all. I mainly am more into the flowy uber technical side of riding and like I said my bike works the best FOR ME for it. I am not saying a mod is better than a bmx, Im saying its better FOR ME. The only person who knows my riding and style exactly is my self, so I think its fair that I make decisions for my self.

On another note Chase dehart bitch cranks sometimes and he has the smoothest manuel to 180s in the world.

using drivetrain and brakes some people call improper. Most people use drivetrain when halfcabing a fakie, some guys use all momentum. Some guys say its not a real manuel if u tap your brake. Lots of guys hate scotty cranmer cause he uses mad braking and drivetrain. What it comes down to is simply if the trick looks good. When someone nose manuels with front brake it looks bad cause they loose so much speed if they don't loose speed it looks great. U can't tell that im bitch cranking, the only way u know is cause u see the pedal move. If i was going 1 mile an hour and accelerated to like 10 it might look bad.

Anyways I am just defending my self sometimes other people know whats best for u, this is not one of those cases so just let it slide... Lets not make this a flame war. Stop calling me dumb and Ill shut up. i realize this is a forum and i agree u should state your opinion and i am just explaining mine, so im sorry if i come off as hard or a dick.

Edited by sayshell

I do like your riding, they way you set up your bike with modified suspension forks is great and I also like the way you defend your position with good arguments.

A friend of mine rides street on a 26" trials bike and he has also modified marzocchi forks (he rides for marzocchi) with a length of 400mm. As he doesn't ride a mod, noone would ever tell him to get a BMX....

People should open their minds a bit sometimes....

I don't go big. I am never going to huck 20 sets, read what i previously said. I do low speed tech combos and thats it. You are just generalizing me. You assume cause i ride street that automatically means im trying to ride like mike hodder. My riding is much closer to chase dehart and even still its not very similar at all. I mainly am more into the flowy uber technical side of riding and like I said my bike works the best FOR ME for it. I am not saying a mod is better than a bmx, Im saying its better FOR ME. The only person who knows my riding and style exactly is my self, so I think its fair that I make decisions for my self.

On another note Chase dehart bitch cranks sometimes and he has the smoothest manuel to 180s in the world.

using drivetrain and brakes some people call improper. Most people use drivetrain when halfcabing a fakie, some guys use all momentum. Some guys say its not a real manuel if u tap your brake. Lots of guys hate scotty cranmer cause he uses mad braking and drivetrain. What it comes down to is simply if the trick looks good. When someone nose manuels with front brake it looks bad cause they loose so much speed if they don't loose speed it looks great. U can't tell that im bitch cranking, the only way u know is cause u see the pedal move. If i was going 1 mile an hour and accelerated to like 10 it might look bad.

Anyways I am just defending my self sometimes other people know whats best for u, this is not one of those cases so just let it slide... Lets not make this a flame war. Stop calling me dumb and Ill shut up. i realize this is a forum and i agree u should state your opinion and i am just explaining mine, so im sorry if i come off as hard or a dick.

Didn't really see Chase do any bitch cranks in that vid, and from all the other DVD parts/webvids he's been in I haven't seen that many either.

People seem to dislike Scotty Cranmer just because of the way he crams tricks in, and it's all just unoriginal, not particularly creative stuff. He's got a very "+1" style of riding, in so much as it's like "I can whip to tap, why don't I double whip to tap?" or "I can do ice to footjam whip, why don't I do ice to tap to ice to footjam whip?" The fact he bitch hops about 5 times per move as well probably doesn't help his cause. Nose manuals do look better without a front brake, in my opinion. Seeing Marv, Dakota Roche, Joe Cox or any one of the new school riders do them over long distances purely using their own balance instead of riding like, say, Kachinsky and doing them purely on the front brake just looks better, and in that I'm learning them myself too, I know just how hard they are brakeless. Oh, and yeah, I run a freecoaster and hate using pedal pressure for half-cabs and full-cabs too :P

I wasn't calling you a dick or anything like that for running your setup as you are, it's just that people on here are quick to say "BMXs ride shit" when they don't really ride them properly, which is all I was talking about pretty much.

Just keep on keeping on, I guess :)

this is going to get long lol. First of all i said no one knew what they were talking about cause not 1 person provided a single reason as to why, they were just saying get a bmx. You call my reasons crap? You said a wide tire sucks cause of rolling resistance. Looks like I won't be winning tour de france anytime soon. The only trick rolling resistance effects is if u do a 10km manuel, and I preferr short techy ones as opposed to just going as long as you physically can. Second off I never go big at all. Its not my style. I do tech combos and thats it. What are the cons of my bike? If its not breaking then I don't have a problem. If you were trying to help me I would appreciate it and thank you, but u are just trying to make me look stupid to improve your reputation... its a forum its expected.

Look their is obviously a first for everything. As trials progressed they got lower and lower frames until they dropped seats. Now they are so specialized they only work for trials, u can't even use them for transportation. My riding is a branch off street riding. By choosing my bike i loose grinds, barspins, and high speed huge moves. However it works good for medium speed tech/flow moves which is what my sub-style is.

Thats so wrong its untrue. The actual reason is because i've had very little sleep recently, have been getting annoyed very easily, and the sweeping generalisation that you made about people not knowing anything is very ignorant, and it annoyed me so i made a rant about it, much in the same way you just made that incorrect and sweeping generalisation about why i was debating it with you. I couldn't care less about the reputation i'd have for pointing that out, especially as getting a bmx would be such a logical progression for you that several people pointed it out before me for the reasons that mark stated. I'd hardly be seen as being the first one to be smart enough to realise it.

I know you think that your trying to create a sub-group in riding, its just not really something feasible, especially when a cheap bmx will suffice, rather than a weaker and more expensive trials bike.

Just let him get on and ride it. He's being individual, and i like that. Theres nothing worse than a complete sheep that follows the rest of the flock. He's pretty damn good at the style that hes chosen, so maybe people should have a bit more respect for that.

Aside from that though, you (sayshell) should just allow people to express their opinions and not tey to force your own upon them, that way you will difinitely earn more respect.

Keep it up man, i liked the trailor, and i makes me want to see the actual vid, even if im not into that noise that you call death metal...

Andrew

the only way you can tell is by looking at the forward foot watch his right foot at 20 seconds. If the angle changes downward they tapped the drivetrain. I usually don't bitch crank anyways the trailer was mainly unwanted clips and only a couple might end up in the real vid. Here is an easier one to see (tom blyth)

1:12 and 1:20 u probablly would never have noticed though unless i pointed it out. Im sure more people do it but I don't watch videos specifically looking for that. I just noticed those 2 by chance.

Trials bikes cost about as much as bmxes. I get all my stuff from hong kong for half price. Forums are easy to misunderstand, I never said bmxes suck I was just explaining why a mod works better specifically for my riding only. Anyways I appreciate all the feedback I posted this in 2 other forums and no one said anything at all. I will take what you say into consideration.

Edited by sayshell

I honestly don't think that's a bitch crank he does, it's just how your feet move when you properly pop them. I don't mean you kick when you pop them, I just mean when you actually hop, that's how it goes. I've got vids of me where it looks like I do that, but I didn't bitch crank. I could tell you were bitch-cranking into it just from your body position, like the way you were manualing you weren't preloading into it as much as he was there, or Tom Blyth probably was in whatever video you were talking about (link?). Without kicking into it, there was literally no way you were going to make any of those 180s, which fully isn't the case with any of the stuff that you've theoretically linked to so far. So yeah, I wouldn't say I "wouldn't have noticed them" or anything like that ;)

From that video, I don't really get why "Mod works better for your riding" simply because it just seemed to basically be manuals, one fakie wall tap and an abubaca? But either way, your choice.

I dont know why everyone is getting on this guy's case. Yeah it did look kinda BMXish but you know what, what really defines trials? It's a guy hoping on his bike and riding on pretty much anything they want/are able to right? Going through a course (line) of obstacles and not bailing. I would've liked to have seen more stuff on the back wheel, more jumps and stuff... but he has great control over his bike and will be able to do all this stuff easily in time.

sorry here is the link

the time was 1:12. Two in a row. u can clearly tell he pedaled.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGXst2SNx0s

this one is easier to tell

Once again this is a trailer... out of the clips in the trailer it accounts for about 5% of the actual video. On another note I can do them the bmx way and in fact do them that way most the time. On the manuel to drop manuel 180 in my vid I don't pedal at all and do it exactly the way a bmxer would but u didn't notice that I wasn't pedaling. So that disproves your theorey. Like i said though its just like braking in a manuel as long as you can't really tell their braking its fine imo. Anyways the other point I have is I can do them drivetrainless over a huge gap easily. What basically makes the decision is recovery time. I need at least 2 seconds manuelng to get prepositioned, or i need to do a quick one where you hop into it. If i pedal it works just about all the time. In the vid any line where I put the whole clip in was cause i filmed it in 1 try and didn't bother to do it well. Its better to jam it in a trailer though than just discarding the clip entirely.

Anyways I really can't back anything I say up anymore at this point, without just putting out the actual vid. So we can contiunue this discussion when the real vid is out hahaha. This trailer I made in literally 7 minutes and it is of poor workmanship. Ill make a real trailer in a couple months and actually edit it and select appropriate clips. Currently my bike is broken so I made this to see if people are interested.

Edited by sayshell