Car Insurance..

Tom_

Right, Im 17 in june and have been looking forward to it for the last year simply because I can actually learn to drive on the road. Hopefully I will pass my test fairly quickly, have a fair bit of driving experience as I was in the "under 17s car club" so Iv driven a fair few differnt cars around race tracks/road simulations. Its not masses (3-4 times a year for the last 6 years?)

Anyway Im going to learn in a 1.0 3 cyclinder corsa.... just because its cheap to insure if Im on my dads policy and it means I can get a full license before I try to insure my own car...

However once I have passed I plan on getting my own car, now this is the problem I would like either a BMW 318d (yes LOL) or a mk4 golf 1.4 of some description.

Just wondering if anyone has any insurance compainies that would be actually worth bothering to try and get a quote with as currently Iv got quotes of about 2-4k for the golf and 4-6k on the BMW...

And yes I know they arnt the best choices of car for a first car but to be honest I dont want to buy it spend money on it then sell it a year later for somthing else Id quite like to keep it for a reasonable amount of time and to be honest saxos or 206s just int my kinda thing...

Lol.

I think 'somebody' has lost their mind. Are you serious about paying 4-6K on insurance for a car you'll most likely wrap around a lamp-post in about a week. Usually people start out on 1.0 or 1.1 cars first, perhaps even 1.2 or 1.3 as the differences in insurance are pretty minor.

Expect to pay around £900 or so for a 1.1, which is acceptable, and just stick with it for a year and build up the no claims. Unless daddy is paying for anything, I'd get the BMW out of your head, and perhaps even the VW for your first car. Stick with the corsa or something, they're cheap to run, tax and insure and if anything breaks on it then its cheap to fix.

Well, end of the day its your money (probably?) and do what you like with it; but if you're looking for advice - read above, and most probably the comments below...

Lol.

I think 'somebody' has lost their mind. Are you serious about paying 4-6K on insurance for a car you'll most likely wrap around a lamp-post in about a week. Usually people start out on 1.0 or 1.1 cars first, perhaps even 1.2 or 1.3 as the differences in insurance are pretty minor.

Expect to pay around £900 or so for a 1.1, which is acceptable, and just stick with it for a year and build up the no claims. Unless daddy is paying for anything, I'd get the BMW out of your head, and perhaps even the VW for your first car. Stick with the corsa or something, they're cheap to run, tax and insure and if anything breaks on it then its cheap to fix.

Well, end of the day its your money (probably?) and do what you like with it; but if you're looking for advice - read above, and most probably the comments below...

Nah the bmw did sorta leave after I saw the 4-6k No Im not going to pay that, I CANT pay that. I think the golf could get down to about 1.5k ish? thats possible.

Yea I know it will probably end up round a tree but Id rather not think like that... since rapping a car round a tree could also kill me.... and I dont really want to think like that, Im an optimist :)

The BMW was more of a second car idea I think at 19 or somthing, I dunno IF i had a couple of year no claims would a BM, actually be insurable at a reasonable price?

Lol.

i wouldnt go quite so far as that,id been driving 7 months, and my 3 series was £30 more to insure than a 1.2 punto, imo that was £30 quid well spent.

just try everywhere for quotes. ring up as well as gettin net quotes. norwich union direct where spot on for me, but might not be for you.

i wouldnt go quite so far as that,id been driving 7 months, and my 3 series was £30 more to insure than a 1.2 punto, imo that was £30 quid well spent.

just try everywhere for quotes. ring up as well as gettin net quotes. norwich union direct where spot on for me, but might not be for you.

Thats what I like to hear :) Il give norwich union a go now..

As said i wrapped my car round a lamp-post within 3 months of passing and im a reasonable driver, that was a 8k car ruined! Just look for the cheapest thing to insure and just use it as a run arround, im lucky cos' i can drive a 1.4 Fiesta an a 2T c-max on the company insurance for free. Seriously though unless you parents are paying for it seriously consider not buying a car and just getting a scooter or a motorbike. Quite a lot of people i know have to work stupidly long hours and can never ever afford to go out drinking or anything becuase all their money pays insurance and car maintanance (which all adds up over a year) so just something to think about.

Really off the subject, but as Simpson said, cars are expensive to run. I know a lot of people with cars of all different shapes and sizes etc, and all those people work full time and spend most of their money on their cars. You get a bike, it's way cheaper to run, buy and in my experience, a lot more fun than a car. You have to pay stupid amounts of money to get a car that can accelerate as fast as a bike that most people could easily afford.

Your also, at 17, probably more likely to crash your car than a bike. Most youths car accidents are due to distractions, such as loud music, passengers encouraging the driver to do things, and lack of experience etc. Most things you'd do at 17 in a car, to have fun, you'd not even think of doing on a bike, as you generally feel less safe and more likely to come off... You think for yourself too, and havn't got the passengers to go by.

Sorry to sound so boring but that's just my take on it.

Good luck getting your car on the road :)

yes im 17 (nearly)

Are you having a f**king laugh

no?

edit:Anyway, Ignore the BM, that maayyyy be a tad ambitious :)

Mk.4 golf 1.4 ***. Anyway Im fairly interested in cars and have been since I was young, Im not getting a bike IF i did fall off then I would say im probably more likley to die? plus I dont really want one, I woulda got a ped when I turned 16 if i was going to get one but I didnt because I wanted to put the money towards a car....

Edited by Tom_