Computer Wizard Needed

Sam F

Basically, i turn my plug on at my wall so i can turn my PC on.. however as soon as i turn the power supply on at the wall the PC automatically turns on? Why is this? Also i cannot turn off the PC or Restart it with the buttons i have to turn it off by the wall or the on/off switch at the back. How can i fix this and what would i need?

Thanks,

Samuel. =]

You need:

a large bucket of water

a screwdriver

a 500ml tube of glue

safety goggles

Instructions:

1. Put on safety goggles

2. Pour bucket of water over plug socket and wall.

3. Ram the screwdriver into the plug socket, take care to put the screwdriver in every socket.

4. Squeeze glue into mouth, chew for approximately 3 mins, and swallow.

5. ????????????????

6. Profit.

Edited by TheCircus

You need:

a large bucket of water

a screwdriver

a 500ml tube of glue

safety goggles

Instructions:

1. Put on safety goggles

2. Pour bucket of water over plug socket and wall.

3. Ram the screwdriver into the plug socket, take care to put the screwdriver in every socket.

4. Squeeze glue into mouth, chew for approximately 3 mins, and swallow.

5. ????????????????

6. Profit.

why are you a dick?

sorry i cant answer the question, but seriously.

Matx

Sounds like your power supply is acting up, probably the power control section. Might even be the power controls on the motherboard thats acting up.

If its not switching the computer off from within windows by going through the start menu and then the power off button then i'd say its your PSU that needs replacing. They can be pretty cheap or expensive depending on how much you want to spend. Might be worth picking up a cheap £10 one off ebay to see if it fixes it first though.

@ Circus.... :lol:

yet another time where i come in with the REALLY stupidly obvious answer first, everyone overlooks those....

Have you ever been able to turn it off from the switch?

Most computers have to have their switch held in for a good few seconds before it does anything.

Might just be one of those things where your switch latches so that if you dont switch it off at the PC switch then it will automatically turn on when you flick the wall switch.

In other news, just do what I do and never turn it off, global warming can suck my balls.

yet another time where i come in with the REALLY stupidly obvious answer first, everyone overlooks those....

Have you ever been able to turn it off from the switch?

Most computers have to have their switch held in for a good few seconds before it does anything.

Might just be one of those things where your switch latches so that if you dont switch it off at the PC switch then it will automatically turn on when you flick the wall switch.

In other news, just do what I do and never turn it off, global warming can suck my balls.

It wasn't overlooked, he said the reset switch doesn't work either, which you usually just press and release, instead of holding down ;)

computer_wizard_lg_nwm.gif

Erm, only thing i can recomend, double check that the buttons not stuck in? :blink:

If not just follow Kris, possible new power supply but its easy to take out.

Yeah, just taken my old one out.. seems easy to be honest.

It could just be a short circuit in the buttons on the case. There's a wire that connects the power button on the case to the motherboard - disconnect that and see what happens. It's a bit of a weird one - quite hard to figure out.

My computer does something weird like that too, I've never got to the bottom of it. Basically if I hibernate the PC (rather than shut it down fully), my computer turns itself on at 09:18 precisely. Bizarre.

My computer does something weird like that too, I've never got to the bottom of it. Basically if I hibernate the PC (rather than shut it down fully), my computer turns itself on at 09:18 precisely. Bizarre.

That's pretty cool, and also weird.

My laptop's occasionally woke me up (and itself - i use the sleep function) with the key-is-stuck-down sound, even though no keys are stuck down. Similarly weird. Especially how it gets from sleep to on...

Ok, me and Froggy have gathered it cannot be the PSU as all my fans work and the LED lights work too. I dont get any signal to my Screen when i plug it in.. and my front buttons dont work which are attached to the motherboard ofc. But my GFX card fan works.. and so does my motherboard one.. hmm.. hmm.. hmm.

So the computer doesn't display anything on the screen once its on? Why didn't you mention this in the first post?

Unfortunately with pc repairs you can't just rule certain things out because others work. Unless you know exactly what's wrong with it its usually a case of trying new components until you find one that's causing the problem. The fact that the machine is switching on by itself is a sign that something is out of place with the initial power start up sequencing. This narrows it down to motherboard, front panel connections and power supply unit. I said try the PSU first as its the easiest to swap out and they're pretty cheap in comparison to a new motherboard etc. There's also the fact that something isn't right with the psu if the computer is switching on once you enable the mains power switch at the wall socket, this DOES point to it being a faulty PSU and like i said, you can't really know for sure unless you try a replacement one. Just because you see pretty lights doesn't mean its 100% A-O.K. If fitting a new PSU isn't doing it then undo and remove all the front panel connections and unplug them from the motherboard. Remove all non-essential devices (go down to just one stick of ram, remove disc/floppy drives, remove hard drives). Plug in just the I/O (power) connection from the front panel into the motherboard and try hitting the on switch.

If all of the fails, replace your motherboard.

It's just a case of trial and error, could be the graphics controller, short circuit, problem with the motherboard, PSU or dodgy connection. Unless you have a basic knowledge and can diagnose and breakdown the possibility to what it could be, it's just going to mean having buy a bunch of new parts. I would start with the PSU though, good luck. If you're not that confident though just take it to a computer shop.

It's harder to diagnose a problem without being infront of the actual computer, or maybe thats just me. Like I said though just because the PSU powers the fans and lights doesn't mean it's in a 100% working condition.

Edited by froggy