Which Hd Camcorder?

This might be slightly off topic, i dont really know much about HD camcorders, but have you considered mini DV camcorders? You can pick a quality one up from £200-£350, sony make some decent ones, also tapes are fairly cheap and all of the video can be copied straight over to your computer for editing, its just another option but i understand you might just want to be making HD dvds etc so again i apologize if its slightly off topic, its just another option saving you money (Y)

I presume he means HD = High definition, and also hard-drive based.

Correct.

Yeah. Sorry I should have made that clearer.

I am looking for a High Definition Camera with a Hard Drive :)

This might be slightly off topic, i dont really know much about HD camcorders, but have you considered mini DV camcorders? You can pick a quality one up from £200-£350, sony make some decent ones, also tapes are fairly cheap and all of the video can be copied straight over to your computer for editing, its just another option but i understand you might just want to be making HD dvds etc so again i apologize if its slightly off topic, its just another option saving you money (Y)

The thing is I already have a Sony SD DV camera and it annoys me.

If I were you, dont get a hard drive based camera. Generally the quality is below par to that of a MiniDV camera and you can't keep/store the footage as easily as u can with tapes - I mean you CAN, if you want to fill up hard drives - can get expensive! Im not generally a Canon fan, but ive been somewhat impressed with the Canon HV20. A good choice. Uses tapes. But if you really want a hard drive based, high-def camera, ive no idea. Hopefully ive helped a bit?

P.S. - Ive linked to Purely Gadgets. You may find cheaper prices on eBay.

Edited by Jonny Jones

If I were you, dont get a hard drive based camera. Generally the quality is below par to that of a MiniDV camera and you can't keep/store the footage as easily as u can with tapes - I mean you CAN, if you want to fill up hard drives - can get expensive! Im not generally a Canon fan, but ive been somewhat impressed with the Canon HV20. A good choice. Uses tapes. But if you really want a hard drive based, high-def camera, ive no idea. Hopefully ive helped a bit?

P.S. - Ive linked to Purely Gadgets. You may find cheaper prices on eBay.

Wow. Thanks for the reply Jonny. I understand the whole tape thing and i think the camera's are cheaper? What cameras do you tend to go for?

Thanks again.

Charlie

the new canon HG10 is pretty decent but is around the 550 mark - pretty stunning quality.

orrrrrrr

you could get a panasonic sd9 and get a few 16gb memory cards for it ... (Its Flash based) It had pretty awesome reviews ... its around the 400 quid mark .... memory is pretty cheap.

to be honest im not a fan of hard drive based things - i think flash is the way foward.

Oh the canon hf100 or hf10 (flash and internal memory) are stunning too - 550 mark again for the cheaper one (but dropping in price sharply i think)

Edited by manuel

the new canon HG10 is pretty decent but is around the 550 mark - pretty stunning quality.

orrrrrrr

you could get a panasonic sd9 and get a few 16gb memory cards for it ... (Its Flash based) It had pretty awesome reviews ... its around the 400 quid mark .... memory is pretty cheap.

to be honest im not a fan of hard drive based things - i think flash is the way foward.

Oh the canon hf100 or hf10 (flash and internal memory) are stunning too - 550 mark again for the cheaper one (but dropping in price sharply i think)

Thanks for the adivce.

I dont know about flash memory.. Is it reliable? It seems a tad weird.

I think i'd prefer to have a DV HD camera. Do you have any of those to reccomend?

FrancisJ didn't work out, eh?

What are you hoping to use the clips for? For the vast majority of people, HD isn't really needed, and it's just going to result in it taking longer to upload clips, taking up more space on your hard-drive, causing more hassle for virtually no benefit unless you watch the results on a HD-TV? If it's just for internet based stuff, you may as well go for something non-HD, simply 'cos you'll get more camera for your money?

FrancisJ didn't work out, eh?

What are you hoping to use the clips for? For the vast majority of people, HD isn't really needed, and it's just going to result in it taking longer to upload clips, taking up more space on your hard-drive, causing more hassle for virtually no benefit unless you watch the results on a HD-TV? If it's just for internet based stuff, you may as well go for something non-HD, simply 'cos you'll get more camera for your money?

Leave Fran alone!!.

Why would i make a new account when I have this one?

Anyway..

I am going to be using the clips for Trials and I am going to be using it for college (im studying media - Moving image) and I also will use it for fun. As a hobby.

I already have a SD DV camera and just want something newer.

Yes. I have HD Tv's and so do clients.

I just want a HD camera I love watching HD stuff. Especially Jonny Jones' videos.

If it's online, unless you've got a HD monitor and they use some pretty amazing compression, you're not really getting a HD video though? That's largely the point I was trying to get across.

Yeah... I understand what your saying.. Although. They'res no point me getting another SD camera.

Plus... I do have a HD screen.

And HD looks better than SD on normal screens anyway

Oh god now I have to put up with you in college?

What is this world coming to?

Tom. We all know that I will have to put up with you going "Charlie. Please help me, Im a complete noob"

Plus... you knew I was doing media.

plus... I'm a apple geek. What else would you expect me to do?