18 Month Phone Contract Question...

JonMack

A lot of them will require you to sign a particular contract or pay a tiny bit extra a month so that you can upgrade after 12 months in an 18 month contract.

Enquire about it but unless you know about it, it's unlikely.

With 02 they said I can either upgrade and carry on paying the same, but the contract effectively starts again, so I'm tied in for another 18 months. Or I can keep the tarrif with with a reduced rate, by about £10 or so. So whilst I could upgrade, I had to sign up again for another 18 months.

£50 phone bill came out of nowhere the other day. I was sad.

How long have you been with Orange?

Was this ; Brand new number, brand new customer - a.k.a come from another company?

I've been with Orange and Three for well over four to five years now. Since I haven't changed my number, and just kept renewing my tariff, things have only got good.

I get a free phone every 6 months with Orange - not forgetting Unlimited Texts and 600 Minutes for £20 a month!

with Three, I just get the whole bundle. Now, I've down graded it to save money recently. £10 = 600 Mins, 600 Texts.

If in doubt, be nice to the people over the phone, and they may just be inclined to give you a hefty discount on a new phone! :)

edit : The phone from Orange is usually not a top spec one, unless you ask, and then you have to pay. Same goes for Three. I got an A1000 from Three about a year ago, and had to pay £50 extra.

Edited by Hendrix

How long have you been with Orange?

Was this ; Brand new number, brand new customer - a.k.a come from another company?

I've been with Orange and Three for well over four to five years now. Since I haven't changed my number, and just kept renewing my tariff, things have only got good.

I get a free phone every 6 months with Orange - not forgetting Unlimited Texts and 600 Minutes for £20 a month!

with Three, I just get the whole bundle. Now, I've down graded it to save money recently. £10 = 600 Mins, 600 Texts.

If in doubt, be nice to the people over the phone, and they may just be inclined to give you a hefty discount on a new phone! :)

edit : The phone from Orange is usually not a top spec one, unless you ask, and then you have to pay. Same goes for Three. I got an A1000 from Three about a year ago, and had to pay £50 extra.

Brand new number, brand new contract, had been on PAYG before, but never contract.

Nice one. How have you been with them 4/5 years? I thought you were like... 18/19?

Brand new number, brand new contract, had been on PAYG before, but never contract.

Nice one. How have you been with them 4/5 years? I thought you were like... 18/19?

Three since they started.

and Orange since since I was very young (aka, under mum and dads name until I was 16, same goes for three.)

If you go into an actual Orange shop, say what you want in a very polite and nice tone, the manager will either give you a free phone upgrade or possibly!... an amazing deal on a new phone (£30 for a nice Nokia type thing).

It totally depends how much you spend a month though. They will have your customer profile and they will know exactly what you're 'worth' to them. E.g. When I was on O2, I kept getting raped by call charges and I had a couple of bills of £70, most were around £40-50. They loved me then, and they gave me a new phone after 9 months.

But now I'm on Orange and my contract is £25/month, which is what it costs me (I.e. no extras on top of that). And they don't really care about me very much because I don't make them enough money. So they are pretty reluctant to give me upgrades and stuff because they know I don't make them loads of cash. I had to take out a new contract (and new number) to get the deal I wanted, which was annoying.

But obviously you can argue your way to a better deal.

Plan is £35 a month, I rarely go over, this months bill was £46, most inc. vat are £40. So you reckon it's possible I may get an upgrade? I should hassle the girl who I know who works there really haha.