Floyd Rose

Barbara Logan-Price

A+ thread. Would read again.

+100 rep

Floyd Rose is the organization that licenses, distributes and manufactures the Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo invented by Floyd D. Rose. It also manufactures guitars using the system. Floyd Rose owns the patents on the design, and licenses these patents to several original equipment manufacturers.

well its a thread made for people who know wat one is so the information ive put shouldn't be a problem :)

Oh, I know what a Floyd Rose is.

I could also help you solve your problem.

If you actually said what exactly your problem is.

What you have done is said "I have a problem with my Floyd Rose. Does anyone know anything about them?"

So that suggests to me, some tasty copy pasta from Wikipedia is more than a suitable answer.

Had you mentioned re-stringing, set up or tuning problems, I may have been able to add some useful knowledge of my own, thus helping you solve said 'problem'.

k?

Oh, I know what a Floyd Rose is.

I could also help you solve your problem.

If you actually said what exactly your problem is.

What you have done is said "I have a problem with my Floyd Rose. Does anyone know anything about them?"

So that suggests to me, some tasty copy pasta from Wikipedia is more than a suitable answer.

Had you mentioned re-stringing, set up or tuning problems, I may have been able to add some useful knowledge of my own, thus helping you solve said 'problem'.

k?

yea but i was just asking as it will take a fair bit of talking and is easier to talk bout on msn so your help would be appreciated do you have msn ?

Like has been said (although overly pedanticly) you havent said what your problem is exactly.

I imagine on the whole it is just not working as it should.

My advice is that Floyd Rose's are disgustingly horrid and overly complex things so if you are not to sure how to go about setting one up then get it to your local guitar/music shop and get them to tune it up properly. You could fiddle with it if you have a general idea of who it works ,but then you'd probably have it sorted by now. They should only charge you £10 or so to sort it out, you can get your intonation set at the same time, so thats always useful.

I genuinly cannot understand why anyone would want one of those horrible systems on their guitars. I have a whoe bunch of guitard with many having various whammy bars etc, and i love what it is they're designed for (and also what they're not) but i just don't get the appeal behind a floyd rose. I get it keeps you in tune, but they're so clinical and ugly. My real advice would b to get rid of the thing, but i'm guessing you like that sort of guitar/music so get it down the shop.

Is it tuning problems your having? If so keep the Floyd flush with the body - it may take a few goes at tuning, then adjusting the springs the tuning again but your get there.

It could be knacked springs. How old is the guitar and do you use the tremolo bar alot?

People who say they are crap blah blah blah only say that because they are idiots and can't work out how to use them.

They can be a fantastic tool not only for playing, but also because they stay in tune for weeks on end once you get it sorted.

Actually tell me what you want to know, in this thread, and I will help you.

People who say they are crap blah blah blah only say that because they are idiots and can't work out how to use them.

They can be a fantastic tool not only for playing, but also because they stay in tune for weeks on end once you get it sorted.

Actually tell me what you want to know, in this thread, and I will help you.

I know exactly how to use one, but they're just annoying. Use an allen key to lock it? Just use locking nutts! Much simpler, and cheaper... and just better :)

Floyd Rose's are great, i see that many people seem to hate them, what you really hate is cheap poor quality liscensed unit's, which do suck compared to the real thing.

if setup properly, they can stay in tune for a LONG time, the one on my Ibanez S series, is so smooooooth, and ive never had any real trouble with it.

what exactly is wrong with your floyd? tuning problem, or you just cant get the right hieght setup along with tension of the claw??

there a load of video's on you-tube like this one, which should help you understand it a little more, and you may be able to do it yourself with out having to pay-out money for someone else to do it.

Luis

I'll never use a floyd rose again, and yes I've had one (3 actually) for prolonged use, and yes they were "real" ones. Anyone who's too lazy to tune once or twice a day shouldnt be let near a f**king guitar - let alone near "boutique" kit like a floyd rose. They are over engineered pieces of equipment to solve a problem that was never there... Properly set up and properly strung my strat will stay in tune for a good week of trem bashing and thats without locking machine heads or anything so dont waste your money/time.

Obviously that's opinions on the kit, and doesnt really help you with set up because it seems enough people on here are willing to help already..

Righty ho i will type up the problem

basically i found a thing on the internet saying put a wedge under the back then tune up the guitar and take the wedge out

i have done that various amounts of times and everytime i do it i take the wedge out and tune it but i find and i tune it the back bit slowly goes down making it basically untuneable becuase the tension in the strintgs is constantly changing and the string always seem to be too low so they don't ring properly or even play a different note when i put my finger on a fret

umm thats the best way i can explain i really

cheers

Alex

Right, my guide to changing strings and setting up a floyd (based on an Ibanez version, but the high end Ibanez version, not a shitto one).

• Insert string through the tuner of the guitar (aka, backwards)

Pull the string down to the bridge, and cut it off about an inch or two longer than it needs to be

Insert the freshly cut string end into to the gap for the string, and tighten it with a 4mm allen key

Repeat for the next 5 strings

Put the tremolo bar into the hole, and push it down until the bridge is level with the body roughly, then tighten up all the strings at the tuners until they have decent tension

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT, PAY ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO CAN'T GET THESE IN TUNE, Because they are a floating bridge, floating between the tension of your strings and the tension of the springs at the back, when you tighten up one side, the other side get loosened. So when you tune it EADGBe, by the time you've got to the last string, you've truly knocked the first completely out of tune. Instead, tune outwards and work inwards, tune E, e, A, B, D, G

Once you've done that, you'll notice they are all out of tune again, yet slightly closer to being in tune than before, repeat the process until they are all in tune and stay there.

This you'll only have to do once, unless you change your tuning or string guage. If now your bridge isn't level with the body, tighten the screws above the springs in the back to bring it down, and loosen them to bring it up. Do this until the bridge sits flat with the body.

Once it is flat, chances are it won't be in tune again, so retune up, then recheck the bridge level etc until its in tune, and level with the body

Tighten up the lock nuts on the neck, then use the fine adjusters on the bridge if anything is still slightly out.

Now your guitar will stay in tune until you change the strings, and because the spring tension is now setup, you won't ever have to adjust it again

Right, my guide to changing strings and setting up a floyd (based on an Ibanez version, but the high end Ibanez version, not a shitto one).

• Insert string through the tuner of the guitar (aka, backwards)

Pull the string down to the bridge, and cut it off about an inch or two longer than it needs to be

Insert the freshly cut string end into to the gap for the string, and tighten it with a 4mm allen key

Repeat for the next 5 strings

Put the tremolo bar into the hole, and push it down until the bridge is level with the body roughly, then tighten up all the strings at the tuners until they have decent tension

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT, PAY ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO CAN'T GET THESE IN TUNE, Because they are a floating bridge, floating between the tension of your strings and the tension of the springs at the back, when you tighten up one side, the other side get loosened. So when you tune it EADGBe, by the time you've got to the last string, you've truly knocked the first completely out of tune. Instead, tune outwards and work inwards, tune E, e, A, B, D, G

Once you've done that, you'll notice they are all out of tune again, yet slightly closer to being in tune than before, repeat the process until they are all in tune and stay there.

This you'll only have to do once, unless you change your tuning or string guage. If now your bridge isn't level with the body, tighten the screws above the springs in the back to bring it down, and loosen them to bring it up. Do this until the bridge sits flat with the body.

Once it is flat, chances are it won't be in tune again, so retune up, then recheck the bridge level etc until its in tune, and level with the body

Tighten up the lock nuts on the neck, then use the fine adjusters on the bridge if anything is still slightly out.

Now your guitar will stay in tune until you change the strings, and because the spring tension is now setup, you won't ever have to adjust it again

very helpful cheers :D

will try that now

I know exactly how to use a floyd rose....i still hate them though.

To me i associate them with a type of music i am very much against. They are overly clinical and sterile and don't accommodate to the way i like to play. I want to go from subtle wobbeling of the whammy bar (like the shadows type guitar) to full on end of the world sounding noises (jimi hendrix feedback technique), so for me a strat with 3 straight, tight strings is the way to go - does exactly what i need it to do and more importantly is fun.

I also use another type of floating tremelo on my Jaguar, bizarre thing that creates crazy sounds, so beautiful to use. Bigsby's are also lovely, whilst i don't own one at the moment i have played plenty, and for a certain type of music they are brilliant.

All of the methods i favour do detune your guitar after a while, but so what - i still think Floyd Rose's are one of the most disgusting musical creations ever produced. They're not overly complicated, just boring as hell.

Edited by Matthew62

how do you raise the height of the strings?

Should be some screws by the right and left hand side of the bridge. Either Allen Key or Screwdriver. If I remember rightly, some Floyd Roses have them on the side of the bridge itself.

I know exactly how to use a floyd rose....i stil hate them though.

To me i associate them with a type of music i am very much against. They are overly clinical and sterile and don't accommodate to the way i like to play. I want to go from subtle wobbeling of the bar (like the shadows type guitar) to full on end of the world sounding (jimm hendrix feedbakc technique), so for me a strat with 3 straight, tight strings i sthe way to go - does exactly what i need it to do and more importantly is fun.

I also use another type of floating tremelo on my Jaguar, bizarre thing that creates crazy sounds, so beautiful to use. Bigsby's are also lovely, whilst i don't own one at the moment i have played plenty ,and for a certain type of music they are brilliant.

All of the methods i favour do detune your guitar after a while, but so what - i still think Floyd Rose's are one of the most disgusting musical creations ever produced. They're not overly complicated ,just boring as hell.

Word from the wise :P