Mtb World Champs

craigjames

Spotted this on bikeradar, couldnt find anything posted on here about it, so thought i'd post up what they had announced.

Just want to say congrats and good luck to the team competing at the world champs val di sole 15-22 of june.

Elite 20": Andrei Burton, Daniel Butler, Tom Rankin, Ben Savage, Ben Slinger

Elite 26": Andrei Burton, Daniel Butler, James Hyland, Ben Savage, Ben Slinger

Junior 20": Joe Oakley, Sam Oliver

Junior 26": Joe Oakley, Sam Oliver, Scott Wilson

To be honest that is just BS. The British trials competition scene (beyond the club scene of course) seems to be (still) completely on its arse and needs a massive effort from those in leading roles to get things back on track. I really feel for you Ali as you clearly put a lot of effort into progressing your riding and are clearly one of the best riders the UK have.

Obviously congratulations to those who have made the team but the selection process is apparently quite seriously flawed.

heh heh, vince wouldnt know what hit him :shifty:

Even if I was picked now, I couldnt afford to go, its a shame the trials guys have to pay for everything while the xc and downhill guys get hotels paid for and such (not so in france, even the trials riders get looked after)

Is there a certain number of riders you can have on a team? Are we at the limit of riders? 'Cos surely it'd make sense to bring as many as possible to have a bigger chance of showing the UK's talent?

I feel for you Ali :(

the selection process is a bit random. i had thought the list was missing some rather obvious names. Shame, but im sure the process will sort itself out.

DH wasnt always getting the same money as XC was, so im sure one day trials will follow suit, its just gonna take time, more involvement from riders etc and money.

once again good luck to the guys selcted.

i think the problem with the selection was that, people who had already quailified still turned up and rode again, so that left no space for others to qualify

for example, if your already top 10 in the world, then why ride the qualifier, then if you came in the top 3 of the first one why ride the second one, ? could have gave some other lads a chance,

its just what i thought, didnt bother me as i didnt ride at any of them anyway, lol

good luck to all the lads off to italy, im giving it a miss this year so the P.A. will be missed! lol

rob

To be honest that is just bullshit. The British trials competition scene (beyond the club scene of course) seems to be (still) completely on its arse and needs a massive effort from those in leading roles to get things back on track. I really feel for you Ali as you clearly put a lot of effort into progressing your riding and are clearly one of the best riders the UK have.

Obviously congratulations to those who have made the team but the selection process is apparently quite seriously flawed.

Dave, I think that comment is SERIOUSLY out of line. Especially considering the huge effort Barbara Wright, Fred Savage, Mick Scrivin and others have put into organising two different events, both including two separate days riding with both UCI and BIU comps. Maybe you should actually go to one of these events before accusing people of needing to put in more effort, its comments like that that convince hard working volunteers to give up on the sport. I agree more than anyone that the national comp scene needs uniting but that isn't going to happen by insulting the organisers!

I can understand where your coming from Ali, I certainly think you are capable of doing well at the worlds. But lets be honest you're not going to qualify if you retire from the selection comp? Maybe the selection process could be improved. Certainly if a rider has already qualified then their position in the qualifier should be ignored and the next rider would get the qualification place?

Good luck to all those competing

in my view:

a rider should only ever retire due to injury or bike problems.

i didnt understand the whole selection process but i do agree with Matt Burrows, mindless comments put all the hard work and effort (that others have done down on the floor) im suprised that some people are actually still organising comps in this country, the amount of shit they get for it, maybe this is why i have lost a VAST amount of interest in being bothered, and turning upto comps, i get more out of going out and having fun, and spending my time on an internet forum where everyone is wittering and whinging about selection process's etc.

at the end of the day the selection process and procedure was probably available to see/checkout somewhere on the internet, (i didnt look because i was not bothered about going, but i did observe at both these events) would have liked to have ridden dont get me wrong, but i didnt plan on going to Italy. so i saw no point. i thought id help out instead.

Maybe E-mail roger wilbraham if you have any problems or maybe any comments you wish to forward on??? including the whole "selection thing is bullshit" i could remember if i had done this last year i would have probably found myself on the receiving end of a further 12 month or 24 month BAN! :lol:

Wayne.

Dave, I think that comment is SERIOUSLY out of line. Especially considering the huge effort Barbara Wright, Fred Savage, Mick Scrivin and others have put into organising two different events, both including two separate days riding with both UCI and BIU comps. Maybe you should actually go to one of these events before accusing people of needing to put in more effort, its comments like that that convince hard working volunteers to give up on the sport. I agree more than anyone that the national comp scene needs uniting but that isn't going to happen by insulting the organisers!

Whoa... That comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and if anything, after the trouble of last year, it's Fred and Barbara's series that has been doing everything right and the official BIU series (i.e. 'those in leading roles') that needs to play catch up a bit. The comment comes on the back of the previous two Hampshire rounds which had the lowest attendance I've ever seen. I was discussing that with Terry and thought that part of the reason for that was all the trouble last year- kids who might've considered doing some comps just not bothering because of all the politics that can (and has) come into it. Instead they're going out and sidehopping walls... I stand by what I said as trials is such a small sport that there isn't room for the continuing in-fighting and separate series'.

But lets be honest you're not going to qualify if you retire from the selection comp? Maybe the selection process could be improved. Certainly if a rider has already qualified then their position in the qualifier should be ignored and the next rider would get the qualification place?

But is there a limit to the size of the team? There are certain riders, like Ali (along with Andrei, Danny Butler, Ben Savage/Slinger, Porter etc etc), who I wouldn't think need to prove themselves in 'qualifiers'... Everyone knows they're of World standard already... As you say though, I'm removed from this process because I've never (and never will) take trials seriously enough to go that far. It's always been a hobby to me rather than a sport and I ride purely for fun.

Anyway, sorry if anyone took offence at my comments, they weren't meant to point fingers or make anyone quit the sport, just point out that the qualification process seems quite flawed and unfair to people who everyone knows are World class.

I think that selection is so wrong. Not that the riders arn't good enough but so many of the riders riding both 26 and 20 isnt fair, how is the sport in UK supose to progress if riders cant even go and compete at such a high level and improve because a selected few make up both 26 and 20. When people are selected i think abit of comon sense should be used and overall preformance abroad should be looked at not just who won or came in the top 5 at a competion, as a rider can win a competion here and have no experince of the worlds get there and relise its at a whole another level and do pants.

And why is there only 3 riders in the juniors? surely these are the future stars of the sport in the UK and as many as possible should be abl e to ride do develop there skills and experiece.

Edited by basher