Jobs At Uni

mr ailsbury

Right, should be going to Uni in September and I was just wondering where people are jobs wise. Lik do you have one? how many hours a week do you do? Is there enough time/is it worth having one with all the uni work on top?

cheers for any help :)

I've got one, working for Sainsburys. I get paid just about 30p more above mim wage with 6 weeks holidays as i do 22hrs a week and i also find time to do other stuff. You just need to put time where you need to and you'll be alright. It helps with the cashflow as well if you enjoy going out majority of the nights and spending on other stuff.

Depends on individual really, like what course you're doing, how much money your parents/loans/grants are giving you and how much you like to spend.

You can make it through without one as I have this year, just spending a tenner on the cheap nights out and walking back, but I miss being able to buy clothes and not having to worry about money on a night out, so I'm planning to get one next year. My course is only about 15 hours a week, so I can afford a few nights a week working I think, but I know engineering courses or anything like medicine demand your whole time really.

All down to personal preference though. If you know you want one, get one sorted, but you could just see how it goes for a few weeks, as you won't want to be working in freshers week! Only downside to this is lots of jobs will already be taken by other skint students.

Hope that provided a bit of insight, everyones different though

I don't work while I'm here, I just work hard during the summer to build up a bit of a cushion for when I go back, then I can just concentrate on uni/riding/whatever:)

Same. I don't know what course you are doing, but a lot won't give you the time to be working 20 hours+ a week.

I'll be living at home 'cause i'm going Staffs Uni to do media production.

I've got a job working 2 nights a week, 5pm till 11pm.

The reason I was wondering is because like they said i'd have lectures 9am till 5pm which would leave me eff all time to get to work and stuff.

looks like i should be alright though from what people have said... maybe move and just work a saturday or something.

cheers guys (Y)

Yep, they will, but it's the least stress or hassle loan it's possibly to get, realistically. Really small repayments you only pay off after you earn over £15k, and you don't get chased up about it like you do with loans from banks 'n' stuff if you weren't paying them off. I'm aware that I'm currently in debt to the SLC, but I don't ever really think about it. You get the loan, you spend it, done. I'd rather have to owe the SLC money rather than a bank if you decided to get the equivalent of the maintenance loan from them. Equally, I'd rather have the prospects associated with possessing a degree rather than the prospects without possessing one. University life also happens to pwn. Going back into halls for my third year, can't wait :D

Currently waiting for my second annual statement, should be a good laugh (Y)

EDIT: Holy f**king unhelpful reply, Batman! No job for me, apart from in the first two weeks when I worked at Evans and decided life would be better without work (I'd worked at least two jobs at the same time since I was 14). I worked pretty hard over the summer though, and saved up about a grand or so whilst still living in London. Sacked that shit off when it came to year 2. Saved up enough money over year 2 to not need to work this summer, which does kinda mean I'm gonna have not as much money for year 3, but I'm willing to take that. I should hopefully be earning money off doing my actual work at that point, with a bit of luck.

Pay at back at the rate of £20 a month or so, at that amount it's barely noticeable if you're on 20k a year.

You pay it back at the rate of 9% of what you earn over 15,000. We'll go with £20,000 (you'll be lucky to earn that much straight away outside of London unless you're a teacher or doctor).

So in a year you repay £450 [(£20,000-£15,000)*9%], or £37.50 deduction from your monthly pay packet. Doesn't sound like much does it?

In reality though, this is equivelent to a £624.38 reduction in your salary (£450*(100/80)(for tax) + £450*(100/80*11%)(for National insurance).

In other words, if you have student debt and earn £20,000, you actually earn £19,375.62, whereas is you work hard and avoid the debt you'll earn the full £20,000.

But hey it's only for a few years until you pay it off...

There is interest to take into account on the loan of course. This is now based on RPI rather than CPI a year or 2 ago (RPI is a different measure of inflation and generally a higher one). The rate at March, I believe, decides the rate for the year. This year it is 4.8% I think.

So on a 10,000 student debt you'll accrue £480 interest in the year (10,000*0.048).

But wait, you only paid £450. So earning £20,000 with a student loan of £10,000, the debt is actually growing and not being paid off at all.

Your student loan deductions of 9% above 15,000 mean that deductions from your salary above this rate actually total 40% (20% tax, 11% NICO, 9% student loan). You only get 60p of every £1 you earn! How bad is that!?

Avoid it if you can!

You pay it back at the rate of 9% of what you earn over 15,000. We'll go with £20,000 (you'll be lucky to earn that much straight away outside of London unless you're a teacher or doctor).

That is bullshit by the way... Well it is unless you do a shit course like Surf Science or summat.

That is bullshit by the way... Well it is unless you do a shit course like Surf Science or summat.

In my profession (accountancy in practice) a new graduate starts on around £16,000 in Sheffield and Leeds.

A few weeks ago I showed the latest recruit around the office. She has a degree in Japanese from Oxford University.

In my profession (accountancy in practice) a new graduate starts on around £16,000 in Sheffield and Leeds.

A few weeks ago I showed the latest recruit around the office. She has a degree in Japanese from Oxford University.

What use is a f**king degree in Japanese from Oxford when you're going to be an Accountant? I'm surprised if she's even the tea girl.

Avoid it if you can!

If you're trying to avoid getting a student loan, you're basically avoiding getting a degree? I can't think of a single way - unless you have ridiculously wealthy parents - where you could do a degree and not have to use the loan. The fees themselves total £9,210 for a 3 year course now, so for the average 18-year-old who's just going off to uni, how are they going to have saved up that much money having been working in reasonably well paying jobs for at most a maximum of 2 years?

The student loan debt is still way 'better' debt to have than a real bank's debt, and I'd rather have the degree + experience of doing a uni degree course with that debt than doing jobs that don't mean anything to me on a lower payscale just so I don't have to get in debt at all.

The amount of money you pay off your loan, from your example, is £8 a week. I can deal with £8 a week. I'm aware that that'd be £8 a week until I retire, at which point they write off your debt, but at the same time: £8 a week. And that's assuming you're earning over the £15k threshold (Which you'd obviously hope you would be). Either way, it's not really enough to worry about, compared to trying to get a job when you've got no degree and other people going for it do.

Then why are you trying to impress us/valididate your point by telling us?

You said only someone with a shit degree would start on less than 20k! Japanese from Oxford is not a shit degree!

Either way, In my profession (Applied Geology) a new graduate starts on around £21,000 in the South West.

Is that what the course manual says you'll start on though, or what people you *know* are starting on?

OBM, at the moment it's not such a big deal, granted. All it means is that, as I calculated earlier, people with the student loan earn between about 500-1000 less than people without the student debt. But as you say, you'll be paying it to retirement, and the terms of the loan say that the 15,000 repayment threshold is not indexed linked. Basically then, come retirement age (+40 years, estimate, esimate 2.5% inflation) the repayment threshold in todays money will be £5,580 (15,000/1.025^40). The debt will not have shrunk as pointed out earlier.

The govornment really have students by the balls with this. Nobody in the news covers it though, because just like it took them a year before they figured out the implications for the 10p tax rate band abolition, the journo's don't have a clue.

A degree isn't a necessity anyway!

LOL! civil engineering takes u from 20k - 35k after you graduate depending on the discipline you go in to with a masters. i think your view on what graduates earn is quite skewed =p sort of the same reason why most people go "why go to uni and get in debt when i can work at morrisons for 3 years and earn money"... LOL

Is that what the course manual says you'll start on though, or what people you *know* are starting on?

People I know, graduates from my university doing exactly the same degree as me in the areas I'd want to go in.

Plus looking at jobs in various locations.

Plus what numerous companies have told me they pay graduates at various career fayres and such.

What degree do you have out of interest 'Extreme_Biker0'?

People I know, graduates from my university doing exactly the same degree as me in the areas I'd want to go in.

Plus looking at jobs in various locations.

Plus what numerous companies have told me they pay graduates at various career fayres and such.

What degree do you have out of interest 'Extreme_Biker0'?

None, thought you might have guessed!

I suppose when the graduates start in accountancy they are immediately entered onto the Chartered Accountancy course which is expensive and could be reflected by reduction in their pay. Also the annecdotals you guys have been giving are all very good degrees (Civil Engineering, etc), so in that sense the wages are scewed also towards the higher end of what it's possible to get.

Spacemonkee, I wasn't suggesting anyone go work in Morrisons! But work hard in a profession or trade for the three years you could have spent at uni, and you can find yourself in quite an attractive position comparatively, both financially and career-prospects wise. For one, you'll probably avoid the student debt. That is a big thing, despite how much it is played down as being 'easy money'!

FWIW my own anecdotal is that out of my friends, the one who's currently (5 years after GCSE's) doing the best for himself is the guy who's worked hard straight from school, worked his way up and is now on a good salary, enough to afford the house him and his girlfriend share, while at the same time others are just finishing their degrees and starting on half his wage, student debt around their neck.

People often justify uni with intangible arguments such as that your personality develops so much, and you grow so much more confident, etc etc. But quite honestly I think that between the ages of 18 and 21 that happens anyway. It's exactly how I feel having worked those years of my life.

It's true though that working instead of going to uni, both my anecdotal subject and I have missed out on coutless midweek nights-out over the years (or left early, or just taken the hangover hit!). This is a big bummer as some of them turned out to be crackers, or so I heard! :-( :P But you can't have everything.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think uni is the way to go for financial or job prospect or even character building reasons. The reason you go is so that you can get pissed midweek, and sleep around a bit more!

*Most* career paths have a route of entry that does not require a degree. You make your choice and enjoy yourself either way!