Mpg!

Gandalf the Yellow

Engine: Petrol

Size: 1.8

Model: Polo GTi 1.8t

Driving Conditions: City + dueller

Having just recently got caught speeding (95 in a 60)... bad boy. I have been sticking to the speed and trying to save money on fuel as much as possible

Get about 240 miles out of £50... want the golf tdi back!

04' Seat ibizi Tdi 1.9

55mpg normal run

70mpg long run

20 quid = 200 miles for pootling about

:):):)

see ive been driving like a grandad to get 55 out of mine. i just doesnt seem to go that great on the motorway, sitting at 70 in 6th is about 2000rpm, peak torque is 1800 and the boost comes in about the same time. i dont understand why mine is so comparably thirsty. especially as i do drive it like a grandad, cant afford not to.

see ive been driving like a grandad to get 55 out of mine. i just doesnt seem to go that great on the motorway, sitting at 70 in 6th is about 2000rpm, peak torque is 1800 and the boost comes in about the same time. i dont understand why mine is so comparably thirsty. especially as i do drive it like a grandad, cant afford not to.

Im not sure craig?

I didnt go for the Tdi S in the end , mine is the 98 bhp version.

I can get my short term trip mpg puter upto 74mpg by driving carefully on a short run,say 8 miles.

This involves not reving over 2000rpm.

If I drive however I want it does around 54 55 mpg.

The real "total" average however is sitting at 56.

I suggest that you try drive watching your instantaneous mpg meter and you will be amazed at how you can drive more economicaly by being in the correct gear all the time looking ahead etc, no hard acceleration.

The above doesnt always mean driving like an old person either :)

you mention that at 70 the boost is on in 6th.

Maybe try dropping to 60 mph for a while and see if it makes a difference? however dull it may seem.

just some ideas , im no expert

Size: 907cc 2 Horizontally Opposed Cylinders

Model: Jowett Long Saloon

Driving Conditions: Town/Lanes

Combined MPG: 30Mpg

Rated MPG (manufacture) : 40mpg

Comments: Its 74 years old, 6 gallon tank, cam driven pump with hand primer. Most people with better running engines than mine get about 35-38 mpg, But I drive pretty hard, plus still lots of crap in my tank.

Edited by fathopper

You can easily cruise at any RPM off boost.

Boost isn't brought on by RPM, it occurs at a given load really, although that can often only happen when a certain RPM is reached...

You can accelerate up to 70mph on boost, then back off, and the turbo will stop compressing.

Engine: Diesel 4cyl GM Low Blow Turbo ( 82 bhp 104nm )

Size: 1.7

Model: '98 Mk3 AstraVan

Driving Conditions: Town + Motorway

MPG: Town=25mpg / Motorway=43mpg

Rated MPG (manufacture) : 45mpg

Comments: It runs on cooking oil, I rarely go above 2.5k rpm but my town is a f**king hilly fanny, thus my fuel gauge takes a hammering.

Engine: Petrol, always super unleaded, and valvemaster fuel addative with added octane

Size: 1293cc, lightened, balanced, SC/CR gearbox, etc..

Model: 1976 Mini

Driving Conditions: Country roads, streets, circuit

Combined MPG: 18.5

Rated MPG (manufacture) : 35-40

Comments: Supercharger means I'm always on boost, no matter what the revs, which doesn't help the economy

Engine: Petrol, This was on 95RON, Mr rolling road man told me I should run it on V Power though..

Size: 1272cc, Chip (with 8k limiter..) Pipercross, 4 Branch manifold, performance exhaust, P&P Throttle body, skimmed head (higher compression ratio..)

Model: 1991 Polo GT

Driving Conditions: Good run to watford (120miles ish) to work and back, half country, half A and Dual carriageway, so averaging a 'good' 60mph mostly!

Combined MPG: 42ish, Full tank, 189miles, required 20 liters to full up.

Rated MPG (manufacture) : No-idea, 30-45ish

Comments: Pretty pleased, thats with occasional limiter bashing, a close ratio box, with little concession to fuel economy when it comes to driving style, could increase it to 45mpg I reckon.

Size: 1.6 16v DOHC vtec

Model: EK9 Civic type R

Driving Conditions: Town + mostly country road

Combined MPG: Somewhere between 20 and 26 MPG, always ran on Shell V-Power since i had it imported

Comments: Keep revs below 3.5k until water temp is up, then below 5k until oil temp up then drive it according to conditions, see's alot of vtec and serviced regularly! Wouldn't have bought the car i did if i was concerned about fuel consumption. Best i've had out of a full tank (40 litres) was 270 miles

Edited by shovel

• 2 weeks later...

Size: 1l

Model: Citroen AX Spree

Driving Conditions: small towns + Country

Combined MPG: 54 while nailing it

Rated MPG (manufacture) : dunno

Comments: Had the windows and sun roof fully open flying along with an average speed of about 80 mph and 4 people in the car!!! i'm gonna see what it'll do being driven normally!

Size: 1.8 16v turbo

Model: 200sx s13

Driving Conditions: 50/50 town/DC

Combined MPG: Somewhere between 20 and 26 MPG on Super unleaded, just depends how heavy i press the loud pedal :P

In all fairness im not too fussed what i get, if i was i would buy a diesel (Y)

But £105's worth got me..440 miles..

...which is half what I got in it. :P

In my '99 Audi A4 1.6 Estate, I can get the MPG's up towards 52-54 on a very careful motorway run (between 50 & 60mph), efficient cruising around 70 gets this to mid 40's, and town driving usually sees high 30's.

Efficient driving ***, when you've got a current & average mpg computer, it's like a game!

On my trip so far have covered about 3,300 miles. I let kati drive a fair bit, so the average went down to about 36, but this is because we were cruising at 110mph for about 6 hours down to southern spain! Have now steadily brought the average back up to low 40's.

Mike.

Size: 1l

Model: Citroen AX Spree

Driving Conditions: small towns + Country

Combined MPG: 54 while nailing it

Rated MPG (manufacture) : dunno

Comments: Had the windows and sun roof fully open flying along with an average speed of about 80 mph and 4 people in the car!!! i'm gonna see what it'll do being driven normally!

my friend has the exact same car as that in a gay green color, i think he got 80 out of it down hill with just him inside, and 54MPG while nailing it? how are you calculating your MPG?

Haha, yeah, Boumsong, That works out as 19.5mpgish I get about 35-40 out of my car, which is the same but carb powered, so theoreticaly worse.

And the limiter isnt always the best place to have these cars, its not a little polo or something, in quite a few situations you may find you need the tourque foud at 4000ish more than you do peak power at 5800 (Y)

my friend has the exact same car as that in a gay green color, i think he got 80 out of it down hill with just him inside, and 54MPG while nailing it? how are you calculating your MPG?

Yeah BRIGHT green :P oh well it has sunroof and everything :D yeah i did about 130 miles then filled the tank back up and converted the litres into gallons and then divided the miles by the gallons?? thats right isnt it??? lol but it was 130 miles gunning it at like 80 mph!!! i'm in the middle of working out how much on my normal driving...

I got 95 mph out of it before the road ran out, on a flat road with just me inside;

What can I say...I like hitting the limiter :P

That poor, poor car. I'm sure it has seen much abuse in its time!

I can get 60-64mpg driving to work and back in my '97 1.9d Citroen ZX. That is with tyres pumped up and much use of neutral though!

Motorway is just under 60mpg going 60mph, and drops to about 55mpg if I do 70mph. I don't know what it does above that because I almost never go over 70mph :P

Size: 2.5 v6

Model: astra van mk3 (cavalier engine)

Driving Conditions: country back roads

Combined MPG: 22-25

Rated MPG (manufacture) : god knows

Comments: usually get around 40-50 miles from £10 petrol, depends on driving style, but im usually heavy footed.

That poor, poor car. I'm sure it has seen much abuse in its time!

I can get 60-64mpg driving to work and back in my '97 1.9d Citroen ZX. That is with tyres pumped up and much use of neutral though!

Motorway is just under 60mpg going 60mph, and drops to about 55mpg if I do 70mph. I don't know what it does above that because I almost never go over 70mph :P

u mean whacking it in neutral down hills?