Any Trick To Remove A Stubborn Headset Cup?

neomember

Recently, i bought a Norco 4by frame from somebody on the net. When i got the frame, i found out that a CK steelset headset, a Thomson seatpost and a Salsa seat clamp came with it. Just those three components alone worth the price i've paid for the frame.

Thinking a CK steelset was wasted quality for this kind of frame(dual), i decided to swap it on my trial frame thinking it was more suitable for a rigid bike. Also it doesn't fit right, there's a large gap between the tube and the cups. A flat DH headset should be more appropriate.

Now, i've tried it myself with the appropriate tools but was doing it for the first time and it didn't worked. Brought it to my LBS before doing something wrong, he has been able to remove the bottom one with severe brute force. It was a horror show... even denting the frame on the top tube... ball bearings all over the place. No more LBS for me... ever.

The top cup needs to be removed now and don't know what to do. Those are long cups. Norco's aluminium head tube are renowned to be a tight fitting.

I heard about using heat and cold. Hair dryer blowing hot air on head tube, using ice inside the cup. Didn't tried it yet but it's looking like a lot of timing involved at the same time.

What do you think?? Can you suggest something??

Please don't tell me that this headset will die with this frame... i want this headset badly!!

Any help appreciated... thanks!!

Stick a screw driver non phillips head on it and evenly moving it around the cup hit it with hammer it will come out that hitting it from inside the frame hope this helps you it worked for me, it wont break anything just will pry it out.

Edited by tom aky

Stick a screw driver non phillips head on it and evenly moving it around the cup hit it with hammer it will come out that hitting it from inside the frame hope this helps you it worked for me, it wont break anything just will pry it out.

And scratch the shit out of your frame/headset.

ide try another LBS or maybe putting a drift, or large pipe up through the headtube and knock it out evenly.

Yeah thats what I do, but it does damage a bit the cup.

Still usuable after though.

Make sure you get the headtube reamed and faced when you put the steelset into the new bike. However I'd probably rather put the steelset in a dual bike than a trials bike, there really isn't any need for one in a trials bike but if you're riding dual properly it can get pretty messy.

the correct tool looks like a large bullet with a springloaded number of prongs which when tapped past the cup and be used to knock the cup out with a rubber mallet... go to a good bike shop and they should have one. No more damage to frame or to your cup.

the correct tool looks like a large bullet with a springloaded number of prongs which when tapped past the cup and be used to knock the cup out with a rubber mallet... go to a good bike shop and they should have one. No more damage to frame or to your cup.

You can get one of these tolls for around £13 so it might be worth getting yourself one.

There's simply no way a screwdriver will get this one out.

I already have the perfect tool for the job. One of those like the 'Headset Rocket'. It's the same tool most LBS use.

A rubber mallet is not enough as the steel hammer is not enough too. I can't really see a LBS doing the job. I can't imagine striking on the cup any harder and can't see what they can do for me. I've called a few. They're pretty confident they can do the job but using the same solution... thinking it's a routine job. I understand they can't spend too much time on a job like this one and it can be very upsetting for them. They know better than i am but i prefer doing it myself(as it's your bike, it's not the same)

I need a special trick like the heat and cold solution. I think this one should work but it's complicated.

If not, it will stay as it is. Having a CK on a Norco is not the end of the world after all.

Thanks a bunch anyway... i really appreciate! (Y)

Heat it up with a blow torch around the outside of the head tube (until red hot), then dunk it in cold water and use your tool, will DEFINITELY work after a few heats and dunks, BUT it will damage the paint, so depends how desperate you are to get it out. I have used this on car bearings, alot bigger and a lot stucker (??). I once had a awkward headset in a bmx frame, broke one of them headset tools trying to get it out (snapped a tooth) and didnt have a blow torch at the time, so i put the headset cup into a vice, tightened it right up and twisted the frame, it came loose after a few twists and then came out with the broken headset tool! (Maybe give that a go, might scratch to headset though!)

If the bike shop couldn't get it out, they need to use a bigger hammer. The headset removal tool should be able to get it out even if it's stupidly tight.

If you have a dent in the top tube, one of the mechanics might have literally just gone mad on it and missed.

I'd take it to a good bike shop and explain it's very tight and another shop couldn't do it. It may be a case of getting 2 or 3 people on the go to do it (1 holding the frame down, 1 holding the tool and the other hitting) if you get a big enough hammer/meat head while using the tool it should eventually budge.

put the frame in a vice using a towel or something similar to protect the frame put a plank of wood across your top tube (protect it from missed attempts at hitting with a hammer) then get the bigest hammer you can find and go to town on it with a decent headset removal tool really is the only way.

Also metal expands when it gets hot so heat the frame up so it expands the headset is steel so takes more heat to expand than the alloy frame and just hit the headset out with the tool. This must be a last resort as you could screw your head tube up.

joe

ps i would complain to the lbs who hit your frame not good!