Learner Advice Please (another One)

Carter

Hi,

could some people give me their opinions on what to learn on, I'm hoping to learn as quickly as possible, develop my core skills and have fun, I prefer saving for a nice bike and keeping it rather than buying/selling/upgrading from cheaper bikes (within reason!). I'm 6foot (longish legs though)& 210lbs

I'm keen to give trials a go, despite having done a lot of other biking (road, mountain biking, downhill,jumping) I reckon my skills in trials will be pretty much like a total beginner!

I've heard 20 inch wheels are easier to learn on (WebCyclery) but on another thread here it says 26" is easier, what counts as a long or short bike? I'm considering a few things - I have my old spooky bandwagon mtb (24 inch wheels,disc brakes but Marzochi z1 110 mm suspension forks on), or Koxx xps / zoo pitbull any thoughts/opinions/recomendations please?

It says you are in London, you should have no problem finding a bike to have a go on. That's your best bet for making an educated decision. My opinion would not mean much, when it's you who will be riding the bike.

Consider yourself lucky that you live in an area full of trials riders, take full advantage of the opportunity to try some different options before you buy IMO.

And you seem to fall in that nice could go big bike or little bike size. Welcome to a great new sport :D

Thanks for the response so far guys, all really useful, any more please?

I have seen a 2nd hand levelboss 26" in very good condition, the guy is selling it for his brother and doesn't know much about it (or bikes generally), he reckons it's about 3 years old and says it's a 1060 - not sure how he would know this unless its written on the frame - anyhow so far as i can see i cant find a 1060 levelboss?

What do you think worth a look or wait and possibly get a pitbull, adamant or czar?

Thanks for the response so far guys, all really useful, any more please?

I have seen a 2nd hand levelboss 26" in very good condition, the guy is selling it for his brother and doesn't know much about it (or bikes generally), he reckons it's about 3 years old and says it's a 1060 - not sure how he would know this unless its written on the frame - anyhow so far as i can see i cant find a 1060 levelboss?

What do you think worth a look or wait and possibly get a pitbull, adamant or czar?

The levelboss is a 1065 wheelbase with a 0 to +5 BB rise (I think), its a good strong frame and not too bad to get you started, the low BB will help you with balance and considering that you are coming at it with a history of other bikes then a high BB (50+) may feel downright weird for you. In general I think a +30 to +35 BB seems to be about the best compromise.

In general long wheelbase for stocks (26") are 1100 and short are 1040 up to about 1065, the most seem to be 1080-1090 or there abouts. The levelboss is a pretty short wheelbase compared to most modern frames.

Best thing to do is try to get to a trial or a group street ride and have a go on different peoples bikes to see what seems to fit you :)

If you are looking for a decent, versitile, and not too expensive bike to learn on, i would defonetly reccomend the onza T-Pro. You can get them really cheap 2nd hand too! Seen as your 6ft then you would proubly best suit a long frame insted of short. george x

so why recomend the pro to him then?

imo get down to a group ride try a few mods n stocks but then since your a learner i wouldn't even think about getting a pricey bike just get a cheap second hand onza (t-pro for a mod or a t-rex for stock) 'cuz then if you don't like it you've not wasted too much cash and about the upgrading bit i bought my first bike trex (which is now for sale due to me loving my tpro) and all i've changed about it is a metal tpa because i f**ked the shitty standard plastic one :P a cheap onza will be more than adequate for learning on, but if you have the money and are set on buying a real nice bike go for it, but imo, onza, by the way this is not a sales pitch for my rex i just think onza's are perfect for leaners

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I'll be looking to get sorted with a bike soon, Mr schofield I had a look at the xtp 20" they look fun and very cool, guess I'd need a long, could be the right move if it will speed up learning. If I go stock I'll probably get an old one to start on, though I do have a weakness for shiny precious things too! Then again if its black I don't think she will spot it's a new bike. :giggle:

Could somebody who is validated give MrKoxx a prod about his Pitbull, if he mails me there may be a deal to be done. Thanks

Edited by Carter

..... Could somebody who is validated give MrKoxx a prod about his Pitbull, if he mails me there may be a deal to be done. Thanks

Can anyone help please?, I'm interested in the bike MrKoxx's is selling on the forum but I can't contact him as I'm not validated. I'm not sure if this is a breach of the forum rules sorry if so, if not can someone ask him if he's still looking to sell his bike, thanks.

Edited by Carter