Mod Spacing Hub With Gears?

J Trials 31

They don't. I doubt you'll be able to find many with a decent range, simply because the flanges would have to be super close together to make it work. You could always buy a White Industries Eno freewheel with the two sets of teeth (16t and 18t, I think), but then you're limited to running something like a 22t or 20t sprocket up front.

Why do you need gears?

There's a reason almost everyone has gone singlespeed these days...

Yeah, I have a singlespeed mod. I live in town and it's real hard to get around when the only bike you have is a singlespeed mod with 18-12 gearing. Would like to have a bike to ride around town and still be able to ride trials on it when I have to or want to for that matter.

Even if you managed to find a mod hub that could take a cassette, how would that benefit you? The typical (and best ;)) mod ratio is 18:12, so if you got a cassette apart from maybe getting an 11t sprocket to fit, you're going to be running sprockets larger than 12t, which will make the gearing lighter and therefore worse for getting around? If you wanted to make it slightly easier to get around you'd want to be getting gears up front, but even that would be shit.

You'd honestly be better off not compromising the strength/weight of your bike purely to make it fractionally easier to ride around. I've ridden a good few miles on my mod, and it's not ideal, but at the same time I'd rather have it so my bike was better for riding trials on than for riding to places to ride trials, if you get me? It's never going to be good for getting around, and gears aren't going to make a massive difference. Putting 10psi more in each tyre would probably be better.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I wouldn't do it to my bike anyway. I'd get a different one to experiment, but that's beside the point. I'm kind of new to the whole gear thing anyway. I've always had singlespeed bikes. Whether it be trials or BMX. But I do have another question. Smaller sprockets are higher gears? How can that be? More teeth means a higher gear right? It kind of makes no sense.

Even if you managed to find a mod hub that could take a cassette, how would that benefit you? The typical (and best ;)) mod ratio is 18:12, so if you got a cassette apart from maybe getting an 11t sprocket to fit, you're going to be running sprockets larger than 12t, which will make the gearing lighter and therefore worse for getting around? If you wanted to make it slightly easier to get around you'd want to be getting gears up front, but even that would be shit.

You'd honestly be better off not compromising the strength/weight of your bike purely to make it fractionally easier to ride around. I've ridden a good few miles on my mod, and it's not ideal, but at the same time I'd rather have it so my bike was better for riding trials on than for riding to places to ride trials, if you get me? It's never going to be good for getting around, and gears aren't going to make a massive difference. Putting 10psi more in each tyre would probably be better.

18:12 = 1.5

18:11 (smaller at the back) = 1.6

It's maths. Larger first number/ Smaller last number = more wheel revolutions per pedal stroke - a harder gear.

Smaller first number (and therefore chainring) / Larger last number (and therefore rear sprocket) = less revolutions per pedal stroke - a lighter gear.

Don't do it, no mod has a hanger.

Yeah, I have a singlespeed mod. I live in town and it's real hard to get around when the only bike you have is a singlespeed mod with 18-12 gearing. Would like to have a bike to ride around town and still be able to ride trials on it when I have to or want to for that matter.

Sounds like you just need a 24". Get a Fourplay or something similar, it'll be a great street toy.

I dare say it would be totally rubbish, you only ever use one gear ratio for trials, and trials bikes are the worst bikes ever for riding anywhere, so instead of spending good money making your bike have gears, get a cheap bike that already has gears, and a whole lot more that makes it good for commuting.

There's that one. I dunno if it can take 1/8th chains though. As 3/32th gets used in racing mainly i believe.

The problem being with carrying a bmx wheel about would be the chain length. I actually don't think there's a solution to it other than go stock or pump them tyres up.

[edit]

Disc mount?

Whoops

Edited by eskimo

The most obvious problem with that hub is the size of the rings on there. From what I could see, the smallest ring on that is over 14t, so if you wanted to keep the standard 1:1.5 mod ratio, you'd need to run a 22t sprocket, minimum. With modern frames, I don't even know if you could really get away with that and run a bashplate, as it'd stick down past the majority of them. I don't even know how well it'd clear the frame anyway...