Ubuntu How The Hell Do I Open It?

Davetrials

An ISO file is a CD image.

You need to download Daemon tools and mount it onto an imaginary drive it creates to read the image.

However, as you're trying to install Ubuntu (I imagine) then you need to burn it onto a CD with a boot sector.

However beware if your installing it that you don't wipe over your windows partition or create a partition with the the incorrect filing system ubuntu requires. You should read up on google about it before trying to run it as it's not as easy as windows.

Im far from an expert, but if you have to ask how to use an iso file, I think you shouldn't be using it.

This definitely used to be true with Linux, but now that we have distro's like Ubuntu some people find that just burning the disk right is the hardest bit!

As has already been mentioned Dave, you need to get hold of some good burning software and get it to burn the ISO to disk. As far as I'm aware, all the newest Ubuntu disks are 'live' CDs, which means you can try it out before you commit to installing it - this is definately worth doing if you don't have a clue what to do...

Ive downloaded the 700mb file, but i canny open it?

Just go straight ahead and burn it to cd.

Leave it in the drive and restart your pc.

Boot from the disk and follow the instructions. Read the screens carefully (they're in plain english) and you can't go far wrong. Be careful not to delete your existing windows partition (you will resize it to make room on the disk for ubuntu). At the end of it you will end up with a dual-boot computer that will ask you whether you would like to boot to windows or ubuntu when you turn it on.

Piece of cake.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

As said above it need to be burned to a CD, if you have nero then right click on the file click open with then find nero and it will burn the iso image on to the cd.

If you dont google "iso buster" and you should be able to find some free software to do it.

Ubuntu's not that hard to use, but it does make tasks harder i tried it for a while but in the end just went back to windows makes everything lots easier. Mind you can make linux look the SHIT.

While were on the Subject f Ubuntu, how do I comfigure wireless??? cant seem to find it anywhere? probably wont stay on that long as I'm a comnplete compter DIV

In the top right of the default screen layout you will see a little icon that looks like 2 computers (normally). Click that and it should drop down a list of the wireless networks it's picked up. Click the one you want.

If it doesn't show the wireless networks it's picked up then your wireless isn't configured to work with the default ubuntu setup. To get it working is very difficult if this is the case, this being the difficulty I think Dr Nick was refering to above.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

This is info I have got from a colleague, it looks pretty and runs really well but if you are a casual user who really only browses the web, listens to music, word processing, plays games... then you should stay clear as it will make everything alot harder. "And everyone knows girls right bad code, thats why I have never spoken to one!"

What a dick.

Bongo come on, I wasn't being a dick at all? I've allways liked you on the forum and though you've had useful things to say about shit, but f**k me, that's totally uncalled for.

How come your giving me shit but not max quinn? I think the majority of post's here are pretty much agreeing with me, saying that unless your wanting to do some really special shit, your probobly better off staying with windows. what do you run?

If dave knows exactley what he wants from ubuntu then fair play, I was just trying to give him a word of warning.

Sorry if you though I cae across as a 'dick' dave, it wasn't intended to.

Bongo come on, I wasn't being a dick at all? I've allways liked you on the forum and though you've had useful things to say about shit, but f**k me, that's totally uncalled for.

How come your giving me shit but not max quinn? I think the majority of post's here are pretty much agreeing with me, saying that unless your wanting to do some really special shit, your probobly better off staying with windows. what do you run?

If dave knows exactley what he wants from ubuntu then fair play, I was just trying to give him a word of warning.

Sorry if you though I cae across as a 'dick' dave, it wasn't intended to.

i dont even no what it does, i just fancied trying it.

Jakers, i didn't even look at who typed your post. I've obviously never had a problem with you either. I just though that it wasn't on for someone to give dave shit for asking a straight forward perfectly valid question. I was under the impression he had downloaded an ISO file and was simply asking how to view it. How Linux etc has any relavence i'm not sure. I've asked the same thing about basically what an ISO is, a couple of years ago on here and got a straight forward helpful answer, but he's asked it and got a useles post off someone saying "if you don't know what it is you shouldn't be using it"

I apologise if i got the wrong end of the stick and jumped though. (Y)

I've obviously not got a problem with you, just with that post, i thought that it was pointless and annoying, but i may have got it completely wrong, so i'm sorry about that >_<