Brake Mounts.

G-baby158

Right as my brake mounts are f**ked im getting them rewealed and then getting them rethreaded, but what i want to know is where abouts do i tell them to rethread the bolt ? Straight in the middle ? i just dont know.

Thanks.

What the hell :|

why are you re welding mounts on?

Mat

I had the holes filled with alu on my old ashton justice and it turned out terrible!! the guy was an expert but just couldnt do a good job of it. The holes ended up being too big, m5 or m6 which ever is one bigger than normal 4 bolt sizes. The threads were redone and the alu just started to crumble slightly. I had to drill out my brake mounts to get the bigger bolt to fit in and therefore didnt have the adjustibility I wanted/needed. The guy asked for my clamps to get the holes drilled back in the right place.

In other words it was bodged to fuuuck and didnt work the best..thats what I get for snapping a tap inside the the mounts. >_< Back when I was a less experienced engineer. :$

Just follow the thread on how to helicoil your frame and youll be laughing.

hope that helps.

I think he means that once the holes are welded then he has no reference for the hole to be re-drilled. Before welding, mark the centre of the hole to the outside of the 4-bolt tab in each direction. No, don't use a permanant marker, scribe it with something sharp. After welding and facing, joining the scribed lines from each side of the mount to find your centres again.

To all of you who are saying helicoil, it was my first idea, but look at these holes.

Thats why i cant helicoil it.

You can get steel inserts with a m6 or m8 on the outside with a internal thread you can screw your 4 bolt mount bolts into.

So what you need to do is thread the stinkin looking holes on that frame out so the inserts fit in. Sorted.

Im sure everyone will advise against filling the holes with alu then re-drilling them.

Edited by Ross McArthur

Can you tell were please.

I bought mine off ebay. Just search "helicoil kit" or "draper" and see what you can find.

But when I first stripped two threads on an old frame I took it to a local engineer who did it in 5 minutes and all he asked was that I went up the road and bought him a sandwich.

I bought mine off ebay. Just search "helicoil kit" or "draper" and see what you can find.

But when I first stripped two threads on an old frame I took it to a local engineer who did it in 5 minutes and all he asked was that I went up the road and bought him a sandwich.

Ive looked on ebay, there all M5x0.8.

Given the state of the holes and the chance that youre not going to be able to fill them with weld (very hard to weld into a 5mm hole) it might be worth looking into getting some devcon F; its a 2 part aluminiumised epoxy putty that is commonly used in the aerospace industry to repair aluminum flanges and gasket faces. Its as strong as aluminium and can make an effective repair, I used it to build up the generator case on my motorbike where it was weeping oil.

I would try to fill the hole with devcon first, then get them redrilled and helicoiled in the correct place. No guaranteeing that it will withstand the forces applied by the brake though.