Knee Surgery

spode@thinkbikes

Some of you may/may not know but I've had a pretty crippling knee problem for the last 3 years that has really held my riding back. Si The Physio has been great help but we never quite worked out what was wrong with it. Eventually after an MRI they have discovered there is minor damage to the fatty pad behind my Patella tendon, that is causing the Tendon issues I have. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be getting key hole surgery, where they will repair the damage to the fat pad, by scraping away a small portion of it so it no longer irritates the tendon.

My down time will be very limited, so I'll be back riding by New Year :) Very excited about this obviously - going from not being able to climb a set of stairs without pain to no pain will be quite life changing. If I can, I'd love to get the surgery filmed - but I can't imagine they will let me. At very least I'll post some pictures here when I'm done!

Nice one man,

i had keyhole on my knee.. easy stuff to recover from.. (compared to slicing it all open..)

The holes took about a week to scab over and now the scars are near invisible..

My dad had the same problem and had the equivilent operation, but 10 years ago ,his knee is completely mashed from the scars.. huge one about 1 inch across and 6 or 7 down and 2 little 3 inch ones.

Just shows how much surgery has come on in 10 years. Thank god for keyhole!

George

RE: getting it filmed, if you don't ask you don't get. it's always worth a shot :) .

Yeah. Plus they might be able to use the footage for teaching or whatever (Assuming you agree to that), so it might not be just you that benefits. Also I happen to know that most endoscopy machines have a video output to a VHS recorder, so you should be able to get a video output pretty easily.

Alternatively, your knee will look the same as everyone else's from the inside so you could just look online for knee arthroscopies and imagine it's your knee :P

I'm fairly sure they won't let you, as they didn't let me film mine, but that might just be different sugeons in different theatres with different rules.

Hope it all goes well man, you nervous at all?

Rich

Not at all - I'm sure they can't make it any worse!

i wish i would have asked to have my spleenectomy filmed... would have been awsome seeing them cut through my abbs and stuff, would have been top draw... looking back i asked 2 fairly stupid questions

- can i keep my spleen pickled in a jar? - response, no

- How long till ill be able to play football - response, a long time mate

Like, having me cut open on my myspace home, would be f**king epic!

Guess they probably wouldn't film it because you could sue so easily for neglegancy or misconduct, or anything like that if anything did go wrong, and get a massive pay out.

I don't really know the bottom line on that one, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason. If the surgeon is doing something wrong or has poor technique etc then he (or she these days :P ) should be accountable for that. But it might simply be a logistical problem - I.e. they don't know exactly who will be doing the surgery, or who will be around to operate the video machine etc.

I don't know why they didn't let you take the spleen home though. Probably it's just easier to say no and then they don't have to worry about it.

P.S. Why were you asking about when you would be able to play football, and not asking about when you'd be able to ride? :o

I don't really know the bottom line on that one, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason. If the surgeon is doing something wrong or has poor technique etc then he (or she these days :P ) should be accountable for that. But it might simply be a logistical problem - I.e. they don't know exactly who will be doing the surgery, or who will be around to operate the video machine etc.

I don't know why they didn't let you take the spleen home though. Probably it's just easier to say no and then they don't have to worry about it.

P.S. Why were you asking about when you would be able to play football, and not asking about when you'd be able to ride? :o

AFA Spleen, I think it's hygiene reasons more than anything. All organic waste has to be dealt with properly. Letting someone take it home isn't properly :P

Because it was bloody riding that put me there in the first place! Also at the time i was in a very competitive leauge and didn't want to let all my mates down, not really the same as riding, I know no-ones misses me when im not on a ride :P

Camcorder..

Oh yea i forgot to add. Spode hope it all goes well, your a great rider, a really good friend and a sociable rider. London wouldn't be the same without you and I'm sure that the trials scence wouldn't be in the same spotlight without thinkbikes, so best of luck man, hope for a speedy recovery xXx

Oh yea i forgot to add. Spode hope it all goes well, your a great rider, a really good friend and a sociable rider. London wouldn't be the same without you and I'm sure that the trials scence wouldn't be in the same spotlight without thinkbikes, so best of luck man, hope for a speedy recovery xXx

Woah, woah, woah. Ok, for arguments sake let's say I come out and my knee is no better... thinkbikes.com is here to stay, and so am I :)

Woah, woah, woah. Ok, for arguments sake let's say I come out and my knee is no better... thinkbikes.com is here to stay, and so am I :)

I didn't mean it like that you TOOL, i ment like if it wern't awfully wrong, and you knee could only bend backwards, then your still loved by me :P

QUOTE (spode@thinkbikes @ Nov 14 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Woah, woah, woah. Ok, for arguments sake let's say I come out and my knee is no better... thinkbikes.com is here to stay, and so am I smile.gif

I don't know if I should be happy, sad, angry, overjoyed, sexually excited......

I still think my knee surgery will still be more gruesome than yours........

Much Love

Terry Tibbs

Edited by hill_393

QUOTE (spode@thinkbikes @ Nov 14 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Woah, woah, woah. Ok, for arguments sake let's say I come out and my knee is no better... thinkbikes.com is here to stay, and so am I smile.gif

I don't know if I should be happy, sad, angry, overjoyed, sexually excited......

I still think my knee surgery will still be more gruesome than yours........

Much Love

Terry Tibbs

Very Much So. Speed Boat?