Rear Wheel Builds

Rob/Mitch

Hi guys, im looking to buy a new rear wheel soon and wanting to save a bit of weight without spending a ridiculous amount of cash

Looking for a light setup but not feather light and not super heavy either.

So what you guys using?

Also what tyres do you recommend?

I'm running a Maxxis high roller 2.5 at the moment and i think thats also contributing to my obese bike weight.

Edited by Rob/Mitch

Pro 2 rear hub 15t/16t with 18t up front. Gives a nice strength to weight comparison against 22t and 16t

Tryall 42mm/ DX32/ Echo Front. Something around 40mm wide, around 700 grams and fairly strong.

32h with Sapim Double Butted and Alloy Nipples will keep the weight strong but strength up too.

Normal innertube. And a 2.35" High Roller in super tacky compound.

That should build a nice light rear wheel. Also keeping strength.

depends on your budget

im now running a dmr moto rear tyre which is only 600 grams runnning a echo urban rim with the gu freehub all in all cost around 140 built and posted

and the gu freehub is half decent i havent had any problems with it at all pick ups good and genrel strength of the hub is good been running it now for well over a month doing relatively big stuff and also techy rock stuff too

I'm using singlespeed king, which is around 350 grams I think.

Dx32 rim. Pretty light and very very strong, weighed mine to be around 730 grams. Then if you drill it you could get it down to about 650 grams.

Big betty rear tire, really really light. Mines 803 grams but thats with knobs cut off the tire and it's fairly worn.

Normal tube aswell (Y) no need for a super heavy DH tube.

Cool, some ideas there, thanks.

What are peoples views on echo fixed hubs? Are they any good?

And also the Adamant, Czar, Gu free hubs which all look similar are these strong enough for the job?

Or should i just go down the Hope route and be done with it?

King discotech hub with alloy driveshell and stock axle / DX32 with 18mm holes / sapim race spokes / PVC rim tape / continental rubber queen / normal cheap tube / titanium bolt through skewer = nice light rear wheel :)

The 2.5 maxxis tyres are obsenely heavy, my 2.5 slow reazy with about half the knobbles chopped and about 15% left on the remaining tread was still over 1300g. I lost 650g off my rear wheel in one fell swoop and transformed the way the bike rides :)

Ive never used a fixed hub/FFW as I have a king - I believe its slightly lighter if you have tryall H hubs but the main weight is more centred on the bike around the BB.

Cool, some ideas there, thanks.

What are peoples views on echo fixed hubs? Are they any good?

And also the Adamant, Czar, Gu free hubs which all look similar are these strong enough for the job?

Or should i just go down the Hope route and be done with it?

Get a Pro 2. Or an Eno and Fixed hub. Both should serve you well. The FFW (front freewheel) will be more expensive though. Echo fixed hubs are great, the freehubs however are not.