• Front Disk back Disk
    • Front Disk back Mag
    • Front disk back V
    • Other (You weirdo)
  2. 2. Do you use a brake booster?

• Yes I use a brake booster
    • No I do not use a brake booster
    • It's non of your business

Erm... yeah, my mistake. I'd only had a random look at Tarty's and saw Maggy £60 ish, Avid BB7 £40 +. I forgot about a lever and cable etc. >_<

Am I near in saying; (new prices)

-Front/rear Magura's £120 ish (more if boosters are needed?)

-Rear Magura £60 ish (+ booster?) / front Avid BB7 £50 ish, + lever (SD 7?) £10, + cable (?) = £130 + ?

-Front/rear V-brakes (Avid SD7 calipers, levers, adaptors, cable) = £120 ish?

go for the vees, cause any bike shop can fit/fix them and theres spares everywhere, but if you snap a magura lever you'll be waiting on the postman for days. and theres more than enough testimonials about good vee brakes on here (i'm tempted to give them a go in the summer)

Wont need a booster if you put a maggie on there dave.

Just chuck some Vees on the back and go for cable disc on the front.

Look for new vee's on ebay theres plenty of deores cheap on there, get a bb7 or onza disc and give it a whirl.

Whatever you choose isn't gonna make much difference for a long time, if you go for hydraulic brakes it's gonna cost more both in the short and long term and is much more of a pain in the arse when they f**k up.

MAtt

Yeah Matt, maybe your right, with my level of Trials riding experience, eg. none

(I can't even stand up straight most of the time, maybe I need brakes on my shoes? :mellow:

sorry, my mind wanders sometimes). Yeah maybe, of course, expensive brakes would be required

for a high level of skill, but as a beginner, a basic Trials specific model will do?

Thanks so far for peoples suggestions. (Y) But again, which type and why?

I'm sure the more experienced Trialers and members have read and commented on enough brakes to

last a lifetime, but c'mon fella's, throw us Newbies a bone.........share your knowledge! :D

middleageman.

• 3 weeks later...

Righto, after riding a guys bike last night with a disc front and rear maggie, which were well set up I have seen why it is the most popular set up by miles.

So I have a hope disc on the front and back maggie.

Could the guys that have lots of experience with maggies please suggest a set of pads for me:

I live in Wales so it's raining most of the time.

I'm not to worried about the pads wearing fast.

I like doing natural better as there is loads around by me.

Mud is part of my life.

I don't particularly want to grind my rims but will if it makes loads of difference to my choice.

Thanks

Matt

I'm pretty sure no smooth rim gives braking acceptable for trials use in mud/wet conditions, so grinding is essential. I'm running a pretty harsh grind (When you run your finger over the rim you can feel sharp edges on the braking surface) and green magura pads from superstarcomponents.com. They outperform Rock blues by miles with the same setup on the same rim anyway, but in marginal stuff (Landings where the wheel hangs off the edge of a ledge with a lot of my weight on it for example) the brake will still slip on me, though that may have something to do with my 90kg+ weight.

I'm pretty sure no smooth rim gives braking acceptable for trials use in mud/wet conditions, so grinding is essential. I'm running a pretty harsh grind (When you run your finger over the rim you can feel sharp edges on the braking surface) and green magura pads from superstarcomponents.com. They outperform Rock blues by miles with the same setup on the same rim anyway, but in marginal stuff (Landings where the wheel hangs off the edge of a ledge with a lot of my weight on it for example) the brake will still slip on me, though that may have something to do with my 90kg+ weight.

do you run a booster?

I have NEVER ridden anyones bike and found their back brake good if they didn't have a booster. Even a 2bolt booster makes the difference with a brakes hold. I have ridden peoples bikes that they said had the most amazing back brake ever, only for it to slip on a tap or something and make me fall off.

Bite isn't important, but hold is.

I'm just big boned you silly bunt... :P

I've got a 4 bolt booster (Which I fitted initially to stop me from breaking off the crossover on the Magura). It didn't make a huge difference to hold, but the feel at the lever is much better with the booster - the lever comes to a much firmer stop without being wooden. The frame is an Echo Control, so there was a lot of aluminium stiffening the brake mount already...

Strangely the brake felt a lot more powerful on my second ride on it after a fresh grind and sanding the brake pads - it barely felt any better immediately after the grind somehow. The hold is still not flawless though - the tyre has more grip than the brake has hold, which means it could be better.

Flicking the V's!

Woo Hoo! After 5 weeks of owning my 1st Trials bike (Onza Zoot), but not having had any brakes, I finally got some time/wedge to sort it. In the meantime, I've quite possibly read every brake thread/topic/post ever, in the history of TF. It drove me mad. I've surfed tarty, crc and many more, comparing prices and specifications.. I've surfed TF's 'search' time and time again, weighing up opinion, experience and popularity. I've even dreamt of a brake choice :blink:

After all my research, after all the helpful forum advice and pm's, (many thanks (Y) ) , I finally came to the ultimate conclusion, that the best possible option for my situation/budget would be: Avid BB7 front / Magura HS33 rear.

But yet, as my finger hovered over the 'Add To Basket' button, I hesitated.

I turned to 'The Wise One' (the wife) and we spoke of my dilemma, she said "Go with your gut feeling".

So I have. I've just ordered dual SD7 callipers, levers, Odyssey linear slic cable, Onza adaptors for the front, (already have a no-name adaptor/booster for the back) and V!Z V-pads for the rear (yellow, will match my rim tape. B) ) Yeah I know this wouldn't be everyones choice, but sometimes, you just have to let your heart rule your head. I would be delighted to hear your opinion! :D

middleageman.

Edited by middleageman

In many cases you're splitting hairs with brake choice. Well set up, any of the systems you're looking at will work perfectly and won't hold you back. If you find certain behaviours of the brakes you've chosen aren't to your liking then see about changing, there's nothing wrong with what you've chosen :).

In many cases you're splitting hairs with brake choice. Well set up, any of the systems you're looking at will work perfectly and won't hold you back. If you find certain behaviours of the brakes you've chosen aren't to your liking then see about changing, there's nothing wrong with what you've chosen :).

Ah that's good to know. Thanks. (Y)

I'm still in a dilema about brakes.

I've got a hope disc with a 203mm rotor on the front and a maggie on the back with a booster.

It's a fab set up when it operates exactly correctly but one of the pistons keeps pumping itself out all the time and it's REALLY PISSING ME OFF

So I go on my missuses bike and think "Ah the simplicity of V brakes"

But the comfort and effortlessness of a rear maggie is really worth considering.

Grind and some sticky pads and it's heaven.

Although the noise is pissing my neighbors off :lol:

Matt

I wish I could run one on the rear of my Simtra without the worry of the adaptors breaking :(

Who's the fatty now shetbag :P...

For the disk with one piston pumping out more than the other try removing the pads and pumping the brake lever while holding the piston that moves out correctly in place to force the other piston out. Then wipe the sides of the piston with brake fluid and push it back in fully. Pump the lever without holding either piston and the pistons should move more evenly. Don't pump the pistons out more than a couple of mm though - too far and they'll come out of the caliper (Followed by the oil in your brake)...

• 2 months later...

I'm running twin hope mono trials now and am exceedingly happy with the result.

Have to say though it took all day today to believe in them, if you know what I mean, found myself leaning way forward on pedal up to back wheels and such for fear of them letting go. Once I learned to trust them though I am happy I went for it.

Matt

On my stock i run twin discs, shimano deore rear disc circa 2001! Up front a halfords hydraulic disc up front. Its not the last word in ultimate braking but they work well enough the rear locks and holds me up for my attempts at back hopping and the front has more than enough power. And for my inspired i have just ordered from crc a full xt brake set. Rear v-brake and lever with a oddessey super slick cable and possible a set of heatsink snowies, Which i have yet to order. And a xt disc up front with 203mm rotor. And thats what im sticking with!