Onza T-rex

dc13

Clicky Clicky

After some Very quick research it's a 2001 Onza T-Rex, What do you think?

At that price I think its a steal! the hs33 spares will be handy too.

If you know any thing about the T-Rex please let me know, like I said though its a first bike so hope all is well.

I'm not looking for a totally bombproof bike just something to do some learning on :P

the later rex is an amazing frame, slack head-angled lower bb coust frame; but bombproof.

The older rex, well that's an unknown quantity for a lot of people; around 1040 length, minus 5 bb height and around 390cs i think?

I wouldn't recommend this bike for starting though, would be quite a pig on the back wheel for a beginner...zebdi-ish geo i think, okay for a seasoned streety rider though

seen the user that bought this bike ends in 1978..same as your birth year; so im going to assume you've bought this...bit pointless me posting the above, but oh well :S

Edited by Alex Dark

Hi Alex,

sorry was one of those rash fleabay thing's, i've been searching for a bike to do a budget first bike build, and saw this and thought, at that price I couldn't go wrong!

Seems I could! Lol oh well i can always sell it on and use the hs33 for the spares I need.

Do you think it would be totally a nightmare for a newbie to learn on?

Hi Alex, sorry was one of those rash fleabay thing's, i've been searching for a bike to do a budget first bike build, and saw this and thought, at that price I couldn't go wrong!

Seems I could! Lol oh well i can always sell it on and use the hs33 for the spares I need.

Do you think it would be totally a nightmare for a newbie to learn on?

Edited by dc13

• 2 weeks later...

Righty ho then!

The frame arrived this morning, seems the rear hanger got damaged in the post as it wasn't packed very well :angry:

I've try'd looking for some info on the T-Rex but i cant really find any, except the history bit on the Onza website, but no proper spec.

I've done some google searches but haven't turned up much. What do you guys know about it? Geo, headset size pictures etc.

Thanks Alex, I am planning a build, just need to get some cheap parts together as a starter, think I might get it powder coated white first though :D

not really sure what to put on it yet though, i have maguras hs33 so their going on, other than that its a fresh start!

any suggestions for me?

P.S. remember im on a strict budget for my first bike! :P

:lol: ive got forks stem bars frunt brack left from when i rode my t-rex dont ride it no more...

As i've gone mod

Cool, what you doing with them? If nothing, do you want to sell them? If so i'll have them, dont want to break rules so it'll be once im validated obviously,

• 4 weeks later...

The build is starting to take shape now :P .

So far I have got,

Onza T-Rex frame, seat and Hs33 rear brake,

Onza forks, disc and V mounts.

Hope Mini 185 front disc brake, or a V/Hs33.

The frame and forks are going to get powder coated next week, (or should i get them polished?comments please)

I keep missing cranks on fleabay, which is annoying to say the least, but once I have some I can get a bb, as at the minute I have no idea what axle length to get to have a nice chain line, fingers crossed in the next couple of weeks I can get some build pic's up :)

I think its an advantage to learn on a short frame, you learn how body movement effects the bike a bit quicker and it hones your allround skills rather than just hopping. I had a monty 231 stock at 1030, - 20, 390 chainstays, that was one of the most fun bikes I have had.

Yeah its good enough for the basic techniques, though its a shame you didn't post an enquiry here 1st before purchasing as we would have pointed you in the right direction for decent starter rig. Since you've bought it for next to nothing, you should try and contact Supercycles to see if they can help you out other Onza parts that are possibly unsold surplus stock. you never know.

Thanks Ali&rusevelt,

I stumbled across it on ebay last minute and at under £20 for my first frame, with a rear hs33 I thought I couldn't really go wrong.

I've had some good and bad comments about it, but I think it will suit my riding style once it's built, if that makes sense? I'll try supercycles as I've email'd onza and had no reply as yet, fingers crossed!

It's kinda hard to build something you know very little about, when there arn't many people who know much about trials full stop in the local bikeshops near me.

And especialy when your trying to do it on a budget too! Lol:-

If it wasn't for this forum I think I'd be completely lost!

Edited by dc13

i had the newer t-rex (black and crome) and had the pleasure of riding the older one (blue and silver wid the funny bash on the down tube) both great fun to ride.

the older one was alot of effort to ride compared to whats out nowa days but it'll do your riding nothing but good.

infact....i kinda prefer the older one, wicked to just bunny hop. i dont like peddle hopping!!! (not saying i can't)

Edited by Aaron.gloster

(blue and silver wid the funny bash on the down tube)

Has anyone ever seen a T-Rex with a bash guard? The funny bits on the down tube and the chain stays are the mounts. But of all the research I've phone so far, none of the pictures have it in place, but i haven't found a full spec yet, but I think it must be for an aftermarket guard? Which would be a strange thing of Onza to do!