Stem For +60bb Mod

JonMack

I'm just about to get a bike which has a bit higher bb than my last one, and I've realised that the Monty 221 Ti stem is quite low and short compared to more modern stems.

I'm not really a TGS rider, or a major comp rider, I'm just a general trials rider. The stems I've been comparing are the Trialtech Sport Forged, Viz Welded 150x30 and 160x25, and the 221 Kamel 165x30. There's quite a big difference in price, but can anyone gimme any suggestions as to what would generally be considered a normal/ideal stem.

Cheers,

Jon

I cant fault my trial-tech, you brought my Ti stem because i had brought the trial-tech and far prefered it, for us "tallish" riders it really stood the bars up and make it far more "hoppy", also saved my thighs from bruising like peaches also :) same geo as the t-master stem though? But the day i run one of those is the day i die.

Try tipping the bars back, it should make it easier if you want to do those wierd bunnyhoppy uppy things, I always preffered to pedal aswell though, I found it easier to compress.

Yeah I've played around with bar angle a bit, currently got them set on 2, but will have a play around when the new frame comes.

I cant fault my trial-tech, you brought my Ti stem because i had brought the trial-tech and far prefered it, for us "tallish" riders it really stood the bars up and make it far more "hoppy", also saved my thighs from bruising like peaches also :) same geo as the t-master stem though? But the day i run one of those is the day i die.

Yeah the geo isn't far off, but not quite there, think I'm just gonna try a few extra spacers though :)

I think for an easy to manual/bunnyhop bike, you need quite a short, high rise setup. That's always worked for me. I can bunnyhop my bike with the bars pointed forwards, but I've got them pointed a bit further back, and it feels like my ciguena now :)

I'd recommend the lower and shorter Echo SL mod stem. Forgot the geometry but it's one of the few stems I've tried on a mod and thought "this is just perfect". In most circumstances they were either too short or had too much rise.

edit: 175x30

Edited by Inur

Jon stick some spacers under the stem if you have steerer left, then try my Viz High Rise :) It's good when your used to it, taps and front wheel control seem sketchy at times but when your dialled in with the bike it's all good. Running a harder tyre helps a shed load as well.