Sparaying The Side Walls.

i bought some onza zoot wheels. the only probelm with them is that they have silver side walls, i will be using disc so there is no need for the side walls to be silver any more, how long / easy would it be spray the wheels ? I originally was going to get Matt skoze to spray them (obv i would pay him) but i thnk i have some hamerite in garrage so i might do that to save some money.

how many coats would i need?

will the spray paint run?

will i need to do more then a couple of "coats" ?

You'll struggle to do just the sidewalls, though it could look quite cool :P

Hammerite will cover most stuff, so if that's what you go for just slap it on, proper paint jobs are overated...

To do the rims as a whole, your best bet's to take the wheels apart so you have the rims alone. Then clean them off, throw on a few layers of primer (5/6 rather light coats or so), a few of paint (again, same sort of number) and a couple of laquer (2/3 half decent coats would do the trick)

Being rims, they'll be likely to run, so really take your time and apply very thin coats (Y)

lol, sorry i didnt make my self clear i meant the rims (the tops0 of them are black its just the side walls that are silver >_< so i want a way of spraying the rims all black. i will most prob see if i have enough hameriteand try and do Bruces method.

Dude, make your mind up so i know exactly what i'm gonna need to be doing with regard to what you want, what you dont want etc etc...

Nick wants the wheels all black (almost all black atm, aside from the sidewalls), so my plan was a bit of primer, few top coats and laquer 'em up nicely, mask off hubs etc. Worked really well on my old BMX and jump steed, can of montana gold sorted it good n' proper!

So basically you tried to bum rape her?

i used to do this shit for a living, key up (sand) the side walls with some 1200 grit wen 'n' dry sand paper, then mask off the rest of the wheel, make sure its completly clean i used to use panel wipe for this job but im guessing you dont have that so just give them an uber clean, then apply 6-7 layers of really thin primer, flatting ech coat with some 2000 grade wen 'n' dry, then leave for at lest 12 ours to set properly, unless you have a good heater that can get the room/booth up tp arround 50 degrees plus, then it will only take a couple of hours to set properly.

once the primer has set, and has been sanded down with some 2000, start with the paint again flating between layers (5-6), once you have a good coverage leave to set for another 24h or bake it as said earlier, then once again flat the paint then apply 4-5 REALLY thin layers of laquer, be really carefull with this stuff as it runs easily, espsialy from a can.

your best bet for this would be to remove the masking from the rim but leave the spokes n hub coverd, then flat the whle rim with some 2000 then laquer the rull rim, thus making the whole thing look brand new and like its all been freshly painted (Y)

if you do this you will get a spot on job, as long as you dont get any runs with in your paint.

the key is to be pacient, don't rush its not a race.

i used to do this shit for a living, key up (sand) the side walls with some 1200 grit wen 'n' dry sand paper, then mask off the rest of the wheel, make sure its completly clean i used to use panel wipe for this job but im guessing you dont have that so just give them an uber clean, then apply 6-7 layers of really thin primer, flatting ech coat with some 2000 grade wen 'n' dry, then leave for at lest 12 ours to set properly, unless you have a good heater that can get the room/booth up tp arround 50 degrees plus, then it will only take a couple of hours to set properly.

once the primer has set, and has been sanded down with some 2000, start with the paint again flating between layers (5-6), once you have a good coverage leave to set for another 24h or bake it as said earlier, then once again flat the paint then apply 4-5 REALLY thin layers of laquer, be really carefull with this stuff as it runs easily, espsialy from a can.

your best bet for this would be to remove the masking from the rim but leave the spokes n hub coverd, then flat the whle rim with some 2000 then laquer the rull rim, thus making the whole thing look brand new and like its all been freshly painted (Y)

if you do this you will get a spot on job, as long as you dont get any runs with in your paint.

the key is to be pacient, don't rush its not a race.

To be honest, I'm far happier taking half an hour to do an acceptable job and then ride the thing than spend three days spraying the sidewalls to get a great finish which will just get chipped anyway...

And with not much effort you can end up with a really good finish... the BMXer's have got it down to a 't'.

These rims were sprayed about 8 months ago:

updatedatob.jpg

It took about 5 minutes. I've caught my wheels on stuff loads, and there are only a couple of tiny little chips on there. The majority of marks you can see there are actually just fingerprints on them that were left when I was stripping my hub (so GT-85, etc.). Either way - it's really not hard to spray them if everything's black. There's pretty much no way you can f**k it up, and if you can, you probably don't actually possess the motor skills required to ride a bike anyway so it wouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Actually, I did the back rim about a year ago now, thinking about it...

Spin the rear wheel up and just spray it? I'll do it for £3

You actually get a better coverage if you spray one small bit, then spin it a bit, then do the same. You can work round the wheel easily, get no runs, make sure you get most of it on the rim, etc. Works a shit-tonne better than "Spin 'n' Spray".