Apprenticeships...

Otacon

Hey looking at going into an apprenticeship in Engineering, just a basic course like, just wondering, are they all 4 day work and 1 day college, and pay the basic £80 pay a week or does it vary ?

Just a little insight from someone who's done one/doing one please.

I've got an engineering apprenticeship with the DE&S (ministry of defence), not exactly our normal apprenticeship granted. At the moment im at college 5days a week, its day release next year and then working full time on the final year. Pay for the first is well above the normal rate for an apprenticeship, 14k per year and increases a grand or two a year. Got to recommend an apprenticeship of any form, if you get on a good one with a large company you're sorted, a decent job, reasonable money and you learn a lot and get the qualifications to back it up. Have a look around and see what schemes are in place in your area.

£80 a week does seem a bit harsh. I was on £180 a week for my first year, now I'm in my second year and I'm on £230.

People may laugh at getting paid only £80 a week, but just think of all the people who PAY for the privilidge to go to a university.

If you end up only on £80 a week, its a means to an end. The end result is qualifications which will get you somewhere. Aslong as you get a BTEC and a HNC out of an apprentiship you'll be fine. To be honest, anything that pays at the moments good considering whats going on.

im doing a carpentry apprenticship £180 a week not bad, with a big maintenance firm mind you, a few of my college mates are getting from £80 a week up to £180 so it varys on where you work i think. as for engineering another friend of mine struck lucky and got one on the railways he does one day a week college and 4 days at work and brings home £250 a week he's only 17. the bigger the employer the better. and make sure you get a contract of employment cos they can screw you for working hours and wages without one.

Im currently having a HUGE debate in my own mind about what to do after college, currently doing motorsport engineering at BETEC level 3, so I can basically either go to uni, or get an apprenticship. Im usure which to do, I think ultimatly I want to go to uni for all the wrong reasons, (the lifestyle rather than the qualification) Thing is with the current state of affairs, Im not sure itl be atall easy to get an aprenticship, so uni looks more likely, no idea what to do there though.