Wide Rim On A Good Hub

Simon

Anyone know any good wide rims on a good hub, eg, hope xc

I was going to get d521 on hopexc next week but ive decided its to thin, so I need a wider one, been looking at the new onza ones but they seem a bit heavy

any idea's, also, im not the smoothest riders, im not bad though, so gotta be a bit strong 2 :-

if no1 does any good full builds then just good rims will do

Hope xc's are generally the way to go as they are the tried and tested hub

true

as for a wide rim the best choices are the planet x bmf (and all other identical rimsĀ  ) and the new koxx rim.

half true

as far as wide rims go, the bmf and koxx rims are the only choice really, everything else is just a bmf with or without holes, and with or without eyelets.

thing is, none of them are really all that good

sure there pretty strong, but nowhere near as strong as a 521, and there so heavy cosndering tehy are weaker than a 521 which weighs about 150g less.

so the best rim to go for is a 521

and no

its not too wide for u

be honest? y do u want a wide rim?

I dont, many people dont need them, loads of pro's run 521's, take jeff lenosky, chris akkrig used to on his pace, danny holroyd did before the px spnosorship

so the truth is u dont need a wide rim at all :-

so wake up

come to ur senses lad

get a 521 on hope xc

by FAR the best budget wheel available

try running d521 on an t-raptor, u have to set up the maggies over the limit, so instead of the mount holding onto the slot provided for them, they hold onto the actuall casing, if u get me, so there is go gap between the mount and the brake's

and by no gap, I mean none

I only want a wide rim cus of brakes :D

otherwise I wud go for 521 but heh, frames can be a bitch :-

so true.. ever since swappin to a 521 ill never look back. They are practically bomb proof and have always had a good name. Ive only had to true mine twice in 7 months. My m8's koxx rim needs truin constantly. Its not worth the hassle just stick with a 2.5 tyre and a d521 on a hope xc.. why ask for more?

I totaly 100% agree with prawn I know I have a dx32 and here are sum reasons not to get a wide rim

1. theyere heavy

2.they aint actualy that strong

3. because theyre so wide they alow no room for a buckle or a dish because it will simply hit ur brake or frame.

now sit at home and slowly chant the next phrase d521=good

so the brake works? wheres the problem mate

it doesnt matter if the slaves are right in, as long as the brake works then theres no problem, im sure a 521 can be run on a raptor anyway, just leave it as it is, u wont beat a 521 for strength

alternatively, do a pad bodge like people with the koxx/521 problem have, possibly the ebst solution, very easy to do, works a treat, problem solved

heres a diagram of how I did mine:

koxx_bloxx_pad_bodge_copy3.jpg

I havnt used a 521 since last year, but recently I had to use one in a comp, all I can say is, the amount of tyre fold I got was ridiculous, it made me fall off in atleast 4 sections.

I also found my bmf rim stiffer than a 521 (maybe this was down to wheel build?).

I will NEVER go back to a 521, I think they are waaaaaaaay to narrow for natural.

If you ride street then I think they will be fine, but if you do comps or natural riding, go for a wider rim.

PS good luck in finding ready built wheels, I aint seen any for a while

I mainly do street, and only natural I do is some easy stuff to try and up my back wheel tech

and btw, by built wheels, I mean like bikedock's system, or merlin, or chain reactions, u build on the site and comes through the post as a wheel ready to ride

I love 521s for their indestructability (well, almost indestructable. I only broke 4:p)

evry1 sed/sez DX32isms r cheese rims or really really heavy. well, yeah. they is noticably heavier till built up into a wheel and shoved on ur bike. remeber, a 521 wheel with mich comp tyre will b heavier than a DX32 wheel with light tyre. but hey....

I (reluctantly) went for an Onza Full Fat and...errrrr...YAY!!!!!!!!! when I started doin spinny street tricks, my tyre was folding loads on a 521 and causing me many spills. I haven't had a tyre fold since using a wider rim. and I don't notice the extra weight, even since goi to a nice heavy comp 16!!!

get one. yes 521s r brilliant, but DX32isms r just as good! tried and tested: FACT!!!!!

smithy

If you run a low pressure + a 2.5 tyre then you're going to have a lot of problems with a narrow rim :'(

And about the weight , who actually felt a weight difference after changing a 521 with a wide rim?

The advantages are clearly the ability to run a fat tyre with a low pressure without worries .

• 2 years later...

true

half true

as far as wide rims go, the bmf and koxx rims are the only choice really, everything else is just a bmf with or without holes, and with or without eyelets.

thing is, none of them are really all that good

sure there pretty strong, but nowhere near as strong as a 521, and there so heavy cosndering tehy are weaker than a 521 which weighs about 150g less.

so the best rim to go for is a 521

and no

its not too wide for u

be honest? y do u want a wide rim?

I dont, many people dont need them, loads of pro's run 521's, take jeff lenosky, chris akkrig used to on his pace, danny holroyd did before the px spnosorship

so the truth is u dont need a wide rim at all :P

so wake up

come to ur senses lad

get a 521 on hope xc

Just out of curiosity what rim do you have now prawn?

Simon, get a Koxx rim. Seriously, they are better than everyone makes out. But, make sure you get an 06 version as they are far superior to the older versions (smaller holes, thicker sidewalls, and they hold grinds better, for some reason). (Y)

Cheers,

Joe.