Hard Drive

Wrayvon

Basically I bought a multimedia external hard drive, and filled it up with my files that I have acquired (in some shape or form) and the hard drive got knocked over today. And now makes a funny noise when I sue it, I have found from google that its the head that isn't readig the driver properly. Do you think I its advisable for me to send it back under warrenty despite the fact there might be things on the drive that aren't strcitly legal, and a great number of them infact... Or shouild I attempt to format it (somehow, not sure how yet, to get rid of any data) before sending it back?

I wouldn't worry about the content. It's probably not (easily) readable by them, but equally you're probably not going to get the data back, so you could try and wipe the drive anyway. But they won't care.

On the other hand, do you expect a replacement hard drive after dropping the old one?! Good luck with that...

I wouldn't worry about the content. It's probably not (easily) readable by them, but equally you're probably not going to get the data back, so you could try and wipe the drive anyway. But they won't care.

On the other hand, do you expect a replacement hard drive after dropping the old one?! Good luck with that...

I'm not bothered about getting the data back, just about getting in trouble! Haha. And to be honest, its worth a try isn't it!?!

they dont know if you have the originals or not :)

What, for all 700odd of them :rolleyes:

Just don't tell them you knocked it over?

I'd buy another and transfer everything across just to be safe. Then if they do warrenty it, you've got two, if not, you would have had to buy a new one and transfer it all anyway!

Just don't tell them you knocked it over?

I'd buy another and transfer everything across just to be safe. Then if they do warrenty it, you've got two, if not, you would have had to buy a new one and transfer it all anyway!

I think your missing the point a tad, the hard drive is buggered! I can't access it. And I'm bothered about the content that is on there when they come to test it, if they somehow manage.

As long as they don't report me I don't care haha. I have most of the items backed up anyway, and my brother has the rest so it sjust a csae of going to see him to get them back. Just rang them, fingers crossed from now onwards!

I suppose if you really really wanted to get rid of all the stuff on it you could open it up, find out what brand drive it is, then buy a second hand or new one of those hard drives, then take the drive apart and swap the actual disks over from drive to drive and then run up the new hard drive and it'll probably read it.

It's an awful lot of effort though.

I suppose if you really really wanted to get rid of all the stuff on it you could open it up, find out what brand drive it is, then buy a second hand or new one of those hard drives, then take the drive apart and swap the actual disks over from drive to drive and then run up the new hard drive and it'll probably read it.

It's an awful lot of effort though.

And it won't work. The drives are made in sterile conditions with negative pressure etc. If you open it up, and get even the tiniest bit of dust in there, it'll destroy the drive. So then you'll have two broken drives.

Besides, it's probably the platters which are damaged anyway, so swapping them into a new drive won't do anything good.

And it won't work. The drives are made in sterile conditions with negative pressure etc. If you open it up, and get even the tiniest bit of dust in there, it'll destroy the drive. So then you'll have two broken drives.

Besides, it's probably the platters which are damaged anyway, so swapping them into a new drive won't do anything good.

I think he is talking about swapping the whole hard drive in the case, not the individual platters....

EDIT - although if he has purchased it as an external drive and not a caddy+hard drive, then it will be a sealed case. So if you do manage to open it, you wont be able to put it back together.

Edited by Orgun_Donor

Well I was going to open it to have a look, but I didn't have the right tool for it. It was one of those screws which is almost like a cross between an allen key and a screw driver. Needless to say, I didn't have one. Well I have sent it off now, so I'l let you know if I get arrested or not! Haha

Well I was going to open it to have a look, but I didn't have the right tool for it. It was one of those screws which is almost like a cross between an allen key and a screw driver. Needless to say, I didn't have one. Well I have sent it off now, so I'l let you know if I get arrested or not! Haha

A torx screw im guessing? Like this post-15941-1240057188_thumb.jpg

Don't know if I'm too late or not but they won't do anything.

It's not their place to even look at what the content is on the drive,they are just looking at the hardware for a warranty claim and replacement / repair.

They won't say a thing, don't worry.

Similar story about how Gary Glitter got caught out ;)

Although Nick is right, it's not their job to look at the content on your drive. If you're planning to get this on warranty it could very well work if you say it 'suddenly didn't work'. But DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVE! This will void any warranty you did have and they'll tell you to piss right off.

Hard Drives usually have a sticker over one of the screws to prevent users opening them. The only way to open it is to burst this sticker which then voids the warranty.

Similar story about how Gary Glitter got caught out ;)

It's not THAT similar. And also, Gary Glitter had pictures of children with no clothes on or something, pretty different!

Hard Drives usually have a sticker over one of the screws to prevent users opening them. The only way to open it is to burst this sticker which then voids the warranty.

That's true but so do a lot of things which CAN be taken apart without problem. But hard drives are waaay more sensitive than other electronics.