Buckles On Rear Wheel

gu trials

ok, i have rear CK, echo urban rim and the nipples keep rounding so i cant get tension, so have to use a hammer to stop the rim rubbing on the pads:$, but this is making my CK come looser so need to make my rear wheel really strong so it will not buckle as easy as it does, is there anyway i can do this ?

ok, i have rear CK, echo urban rim and the nipples keep rounding so i cant get tension, so have to use a hammer to stop the rim rubbing on the pads:$, but this is making my CK come looser so need to make my rear wheel really strong so it will not buckle as easy as it does, is there anyway i can do this ?

new rim + spokes, go for the trialtech undrilled, much more sturdy than drilled rims!

Well in that case get a spoke key that's the right size and stop rounding nipples!

Hitting it with a hammer is a bad idea - all that's going to happen is you'll batter the f**k out of a nice hub. It sounds like you really need to get a new rim/spokes but in the meantime you could try truing it from the rim-side. Take the tyre/tube/rimtape off and get a flat-headed screwdriver on the nipples. It's a bit of a faff and it might not work depending on the spoke lengths (how much is sticking through the nipple) but it's definitely a better idea than using a hammer.

Get new brass nipples and a decent spoke key, the only reason I've ever rounded a nipple was because the spoke key was a sloppy fit.

4x? Bit of an overkill on a Mod wheel? Maybe you should look at your riding style if you're killing a wheel with that build...

you hit your wheel with a hammer to straighten it??? :lol:

...as far as I understand it the strength of the wheel is down to enough even tension around the wheel so if you have a decent wheel and tend to buckle it a lot either look at what you're doing to cause it or get it checked over /tightened up every once in a while.

I always read different views on which is stronger. Most people claim that 4x is weaker on a 36h wheel but most people also just spurt out what they read somewhere else. I still haven't found anyone with a good answer about the whole thing yet.

As for rounding nipples, try some longer ones brass ones. Also some lube on the thread. You may also want to try another rim, i found the Echo 07 rims to be rubbish at holding their own shape and only good for sidewall strength.

its not the nipple rounding it goes really tight and then a big clik :S

Then it goes loose?

You're probably the threads out of the poor things, get some decent tools and be gentle with it.

Edited by Marvin the Martian

One way I heard of is to solder around where the spokes cross over. Its meant to make the wheel super stiff, until it just make the wheel fold over. Never tried it though.

This won't affect wheel stiffness - it used to be done on penny farthing style bikes to stop broken spokes flailing around and injuring people. It has no effect on wheel stiffness or reliability.

For a 32 hole wheel 3 cross is the best option. Lacing 4 cross means the spokes will cross over the heads of the spokes in the next hole over from them in the hub, so when replacing a spoke you've to loosen the one beside it too.

For 36 hole or greater 4 cross can usually be used without this problem. In terms of wheel stiffness, the difference in torque carrying between a radial wheel and a 3 cross wheel is noticeable, but between a 4 cross and 3 cross it might be measurable, but I doubt if it's noticeable riding the bike...

You're joking right :S a hammer to true your rim?

its a 4cross built by tarty lol

If both the above are true, there are three things you can do:

stop over tightening spokes, you can loosen to true a wheel too!

get a spoke key that fits the nipple properly

Stop being such a basher.

That makes no sense mate. you don't use a spoke key on a spoke, you use it on the nipples.

Clearly nipples have a greater dia than the spokes, as the spokes go inside the nipples.....

If you're trying to suggest the wrong sized spoke key though, that's entirely possible, as there are several different sizes of nipple available.