Disc Brakes?

Disc brakes. What are you guys thoughts and suggestions? I have hear that avid bb7 are good with a xtr lever. Majority of riders have hope mono trials, but im very weary of hope brakes i have had 4 now and had nowt but problems! Im looking at other options now so any advice is very welcome. Thanks

avid bb7 with and avid SD7 lever jagwire brake cable *for the win*

avid bb5 with and avid SD7 lever wilko brake cable *for the win*

If you do want a Hope then buy second hand and get the person to tell you in what cond it is in wether it leaks rusty etc :)

Edited by Nick pyke :)

Hs33's are very reliable, but because they are a rim brake, if you get a buckle in your wheel, they will feel weird.

I have a DD CZAR 20" that came with Juicy 3's, Which were the stupidest brakes ever! I went through 2 back brakes because the seals broke and fluid leaked onto the disk, so I dont recomend you get a Juicy 3.

I then got two Hayes Stroker Rydes that were real good for a long time, but with constant hard pressure on them, the back began to leak.

So now I have the Hayes on the front and a BB5 on the back, with Avid lever which is going great!

Cables dont have as gooder feel as hydrolics, but work better.

I recomend a BB5 or BB7 because they have real small pads, meaning better braking power.

And thats my two cents, Back to you Tomm.

i run dual bb7s, there super powerful, the lever feel on the rear brake leaves something to be desired, but the performance is fantastic

As i am a recent convert to trials, i wouldnt have the 1st idea of a good set up but you guys seem to rate the bb7 very highly. I had a hayes hfx9 for years which was on my azonic dh bike, my monty urban, my azonic hardtail, my mongoose ritual and is now in my tool box waitin for me to bleed it! But it looks a bit haggard now! So im lookin for some fresh brakes for my new ride! Anyone had experience of shimano disc brakes? Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys:)

ive never really heard of any one using shimano disc brakes i tihnk thrre more for the cross country sude of things. Aavids are simple easy and cheap to run :)

I've never used a disc that I felt was powerful enough, if you can't live without stoppies or weigh 7 stone then get one. But In my experience a v with a bit of tar is something a disc can't compete with, discs are more stressful on forks, can't handle any grease or dirt accidentally getting on them. On the rear, a magura can't be beaten, and Imo, a smear of tar beats a grind anyday. Depends what you like

get an avid sd7

Leon

I've never used a disc that I felt was powerful enough, if you can't live without stoppies or weigh 7 stone then get one. But In my experience a v with a bit of tar is something a disc can't compete with, discs are more stressful on forks, can't handle any grease or dirt accidentally getting on them. On the rear, a magura can't be beaten, and Imo, a smear of tar beats a grind anyday. Depends what you like

get an avid sd7

Leon

Maguras are gash imo i did have one on the front of my monty for about a month and it blew up 3 times! I do wanna use a dual disc set up on my bike which will probably be a 24uk. Magura louise brakes seem to be the standard kit on disc equiped bikes. Everyone seems to like the bb7 but i dunno if cable or hydraulic is the way to go? Cable is less maintainance intensive but hydraulic seem more predictable. So maybe i should look into the magura louise and the avid bb7

Bb7 seem pretty safe long as the cables & caliper are well looked after, I've seen some good, and some that will barely even lock.

I don't like maguras on the front, but on the rear, if you buy a good one you can't go wrong.

I'm just not a disc fan, but the bb7 seems the least hassle. I've had a louise, it was ok ish but it'd never hold my weight on a front wheel gap, costs 3x what a v does and has much more to go wrong.

Leon

Maguras are gash imo i did have one on the front of my monty for about a month and it blew up 3 times! I do wanna use a dual disc set up on my bike which will probably be a 24uk. Magura louise brakes seem to be the standard kit on disc equiped bikes. Everyone seems to like the bb7 but i dunno if cable or hydraulic is the way to go? Cable is less maintainance intensive but hydraulic seem more predictable. So maybe i should look into the magura louise and the avid bb7

How many fingers did you use on the lever?

You must have had an old wrecked or a dodgy one for that to happen, i've been riding 11 years and probably used 20+ hs33's, and I've only had tpa's break and the odd lazy piston.

Fork out & get a decent one

Leon

You must have had an old wrecked or a dodgy one for that to happen, i've been riding 11 years and probably used 20+ hs33's, and I've only had tpa's break and the odd lazy piston.

Fork out & get a decent one

Leon

At the least i could run is one on the rear cuz you cant get 24" rim brake mount forks! So its disc all the way upfront! I find it hard to put my trust in rim brakes for a while now watching my trials riding mates re bleeding them and fixing split hoses! Dont want the hassle. But i will take all these posts under consideration.

I dont like them on the front either. If your mates are constantly splitting hoses then that's more down to carelesness or bad luck, I can't remember the last time i split a hose, If you set up a good one and just leave it, you'll be fine.

In my experience it's the young teens with little mechanical experience who neglect & abuse things then brand them "shocking" once they stop working :rolleyes:

Leon

I dont like them on the front either. If your mates are constantly splitting hoses then that's more down to carelesness or bad luck, I can't remember the last time i split a hose, If you set up a good one and just leave it, you'll be fine.

In my experience it's the young teens with little mechanical experience who neglect & abuse things then brand them "shocking" once they stop working :rolleyes:

Leon

Im fairly confident with the old spanners and allen keys, i used to strip my motocross bike on a weekly basis even stripped the carbs on my old mans zx9r when he werent looking! Lol so i would be able to maintain the brakes on my own. but im dead set on a twin disc set up for my bike. I just dont trust rim brakes anymore!!

Leon

Im fairly confident with the old spanners and allen keys, i used to strip my motocross bike on a weekly basis even stripped the carbs on my old mans zx9r when he werent looking! Lol so i would be able to maintain the brakes on my own. but im dead set on a twin disc set up for my bike. I just dont trust rim brakes anymore!!