How Stupid Is The Idea Of...

Simpson

Kind of off topic, but why do mods have front freewheels? What's the advantage/reasoning? Because obviously you can get mods with rear freewheels, what's the significance or benefit of font?

I apologise if that's a stupid or obvious question, by the way.

Kind of off topic, but why do mods have front freewheels? What's the advantage/reasoning? Because obviously you can get mods with rear freewheels, what's the significance or benefit of font?

Cheaper by £100 (ProII VS tensile FW)

Frame spacings are different between mod an stock.

Weight - is lighter

Engagment is quicker

Mods have horizonal drop outs and to run rear FW (in most cases) need tensioners due to vertical drop outs.

etc.

So back to the question.

I was trying to get The Down to do it the other week, it'd be a right giggle, pedal ups, gaps and shit could get interesting :P

You go fixed, i'll go brakeless - deal?

But is it possible? Mods have stupidly light gearing anyway so to ride somewhere would be impossible. But suppose on the rear wheel sidehops etc would be alright?

hmmmm

Weight - is lighter

Engagment is quicker

Mods have horizonal drop outs and to run rear FW (in most cases) need tensioners due to vertical drop outs.

etc. …

Ah, I see. Cheers.

I can see it being fun for 10mins, but it still sounds like a FatPants idea... :P

Hmm I may get a freewheel but try it without... just see how much fun / not it is...

So would anything stop me riding it fundamentally?

your prob not good enough to be brutally honest, lern it more with a freewheel.

I dunno what you mean by that, I can ride fine thanks, I'm just wondering if this would be a laugh or just no fun at all.

Hmm I may get a freewheel but try it without... just see how much fun / not it is...

So would anything stop me riding it fundamentally?

I dunno what you mean by that, I can ride fine thanks, I'm just wondering if this would be a laugh or just no fun at all.

You wouldnt be able to really roll towards an edge on the back wheel when you want to drop as its fixed your front pedal will drop down pretty fast to be honest i think it will feel gash tbf

Weight - is lighter

Engagment is quicker

Sort of, but not really. That's partly why front freewheel setups are still popular today.

The reason they initially had front freewheels was:

Mods need a gear ratio of roughly 1:0.67

We all agree that it's best if the front sprocket/freewheel/whatever is as small as possible.

The smallest size for a freewheel has been 18T with a couple of exceptions.

If the freewheel was to be used on the rear, we would all need to have 27T sprockets on the front to retain the right gear ratio.

27T vs. 18T - 18T is smaller and so better, therefore the freewheel was used on the front.

Edited by Greetings

You'd hardly be able to ride it along, let alone any trials on it. You won't be able to sidehop on it as you won't be able to preload properly without rolling backwards. You wouldn't be able to gap on it again because you couldn't preload and once you kick, you would struggle to get your pedals back to the right position before having to apply the brake.

You'd hardly be able to ride it along, let alone any trials on it. You won't be able to sidehop on it as you won't be able to preload properly without rolling backwards. You wouldn't be able to gap on it again because you couldn't preload and once you kick, you would struggle to get your pedals back to the right position before having to apply the brake.

If your on wall and want ot rearrange your feet position then you could endo and pedal?

these are all things that youd be able to work on and find way around though. You never would of thought it possible to back hop and then sidehop without a back brake but rowan has shown is its possible with practice.

I occasionally limit the way I'm 'allowed' to ride a line, restricting myself to only pedalling forward (no backpedalling/ratcheting back for a pedal kick etc) and that's awkward enough, at least I can still freewheel doing that. Totally fixed would be fun to try out, but not to keep at. Throw it on since you have the kit, and chuck on a freewheel when you get the chance ;)