Air Spring Trials Bike !

matt_urban

Stupidest thing ever. Adding weight, adding espense, adding things to go wrong. What's wrong with bikes as they are now?

If the air spring could be used to propel the rider higher (like a pogo stick), then the benefits wiuld include a higher attainable height on a lot of tricks?? Also drops would become more safe/hurt less from big heights....

But yea, I wouldn't bother. Anyways this is reallly old.

I think its an interesting idea, but would possibly need a custom shock. Looks like he's just using a normal mtb shock but pumped up lots, it will still have lots of damping and that'll be what's sapping his power.

It also looks like he'd have to relearn to ride. Changing the way he preloads to account for the shock. I think that shows up most in the pedal up. On the first attempt you can see he does a normal technique and as he takes off the shock unloads and throws him forwards onto his front wheel.

A very interesting idea though, could well be worth continuing with.

Yeah it doesnt work, There needs to be a pivot on the chainstays like there is on downhill bikes. Without the pivot its doing f**k all.

+1

The spring is only moving on the amount the frame flexes, might aswell not have the spring there and the bike would ride the same.

The ideas gay! Trials is a ART, and the bike only gets up what the rider makes it. using a spring is for puff's!!!

And if you had a spring unless it was on a really stiff setting(i.e so it dosent atually spring) wouldent it limit your tricks,

www.pogotrials-forum.co.uk

It's worth noting, there isn't a hinge on the bike, the shock takes advantage of the flex in the frame.

I quite like the idea.

I don't. Using frame flex as an advantage is really stupid... It definitely would weaken the frame because the only support holding the frame together would be the unsprung tube.....

+1

The spring is only moving on the amount the frame flexes, might aswell not have the spring there and the bike would ride the same.

The ideas gay! Trials is a ART, and the bike only gets up what the rider makes it. using a spring is for puff's!!!

And if you had a spring unless it was on a really stiff setting(i.e so it dosent atually spring) wouldent it limit your tricks,

www.pogotrials-forum.co.uk

Could say the same about brakes, you can learn to ride practically the same without them if you want....Rowans a good example.

Could say the same about brakes, you can learn to ride practically the same without them if you want....Rowans a good example.

Practically the same? That's absolute rubbish.

And brakes have been used since bikes began, this is just a stupid new idea trying to fix something that doesn't need to be.

Using flex to an advantege ? I thought that the whole point of having a stiffer frame was so there was more power in your moves and thats why KOXX use that K-Alone metal ? Because it is stiffer than normal aluminium.

Adam (Y)

this is just a stupid old idea

If the idea WERE to take off, there'd be a divide between people who want to just ride big, and people who want to ride upon pure manpower.

It'd be the same as stock vs. mod.

Stock tends to look down upon mod as it's easier (not in any serious fashion, you understand :P)

Then unsprung frames will look down upon sprung frames as THEY'RE easier, in the same manner.

I don't really care to be honest - I'd love to have a go on one though.

I can see things like these being developed in the not too distant future. That's obviously a pretty quickly made initial prototype with a standard MTB air shock. If a shock could be designed and very carefully set up to allow the rider to spring up more than the human body allows it could work. It'd mainly be of use for static moves obviously but if you could also remotely lock the shock out you might be able to get the best of both worlds with minimal weight penalty.

I would think that there is a hug amount of stress put on the BB and yoke. I mean the spring will bend back and forth the connection and cause a failure at some point, near the BB.

How would this work with 2 pivot points like normal suspension.

I 1would also add that the suspension should be designed to allow the chain stays to move twords the BB, there by being useful for back wheel moves, and drops.