How Would 116mm Spacings Effect A "24?

Adam-Griffin

Not sure if anyone has 116mm dropouts on a "24 but I'm planning on getting a Marino frame very similar to this.

Differences being i would like it 10mm shorter and extra brake mounts. I'm planning on moving as much as possible over from my mod to keep costs as low as possible so Bar/stem/cranks/brakes/etc and If at all possible my rear hub. So will i encounter any problems/Difficulties with it being 116mm spaced ? Might seem like a bit of a silly question but i'd just like to make sure before spending $120 on a frame that's no good :P

Also, would any one reccomend i alter the geo At all from the Yaabaa ? Read on here that it's a tad long, is this true ? I would like to be able to use it as a "26 aswell if "24's not all it's cracked up to be so need it to take both size wheels :)

Sorry if theses questions seem stupid but i'd like to be sure :)

A few guys are running BMX spacer rear ends for use with King hubs with no issues (Y)

Geometry is totally up to you though, depending on your size, riding style etc

Ahh thats good then. Next question is, are rear discs a bad idea on "24's ? Only know of one person running one thats all.

What sort of Geo is considered 'average' on a "24 aswell ? 1050-1060 seems a little long really when inspireds are 1040 and Most 609's are normally similar to that.

Ahh thats good then. Next question is, are rear discs a bad idea on "24's ? Only know of one person running one thats all.

What sort of Geo is considered 'average' on a "24 aswell ? 1050-1060 seems a little long really when inspireds are 1040 and Most 609's are normally similar to that.

rear disc should be fine on a 24" unless your doing pedal grinds or something. Should make you apear/feel smoother to have a silent rear brake instead of a maggy honking at you...

As its been said that hub spacing will be fine. But yeah 1060 is too long. Between 1040 and 1050 would be better. Rear disc brakes will be fine mate plenty of riders use rear discs as for pedal grinds alot of mtb street riders use rear discs and have no problems. Im plannin to do the same with my marino.

Just a quick one - since a lot of guys seem to be looking at possibly getting a Marino frame done - keep in touch. Ordering together should cut down on shipping costs a fair bit which can only be a good thing (Y)

Indeed, i was thinking of making a topic asking who else would be interested but the last one only got If's and maybes and i need definates really as I'd like to order mine pretty soon :)

So, who wants one ?

I will have to hurry up and email him as it sounds like you and luke are nearly ready. But i may have to do this tomorrow. Whats he like to deal with? Im still goin through ideas sketching them out to see what they look like and if it will work.

Edited by bender b rodreguez

Really don't want to read every reply in this thread to see if any ones wrote this yet..

Firstly having a 116mm rear hub insted of a 135mm won't change the geometry if your planning on having vertical dropouts, if however your having horizontal dropouts the geometery will always depend on how far you've moved the wheel to tension the chain.

A mod stem will be stupidly long, most stock stems are too long and low for 24", go buy yourself a short but high-rise stem.

1060 is too long - my Heatsink is 1025 and rides pefectly comfortable (im 6 foot 1 and also ride a Zoo Pitbull thats 1100 - so shortness on a 24" fells good) and alot of other 24" frames are between 1030 - 1040, any longer and it'd loss its spinability ;)

And discs are good, I ran an Avid BB7 (203mm rotor) on the rear of mine through the winter due to my vee on a smooth being nn-existant when the rain started. Loads of modulation and never once slipped - no bite/grab compared to my vee, but you can't have it all I guess :P plus they're ear friendly unlike every Magura and Vee trials set up I've ever heard.

Cai x