Rubber Queen Vs Der Kaiser

Mr.trial_dude

As I soon will have to replace my tyres, I'm not quite sure wich tyre to choose..

Coming from a Minion 2.5 ,

Rubber queen because:

Lightweight- Bouncy- Wear rate- Price is good

why not

Grip ?- pinch flats- stability on slanted stuff

Der kaiserbecause:

Loads of grip- still lighter than the maxis

why not

pricey-less bounce than rubber queen?- heavier (300grams)

thanks in advance

Rubber queen is a very good tyre, but due to the light weight-ness of it the sidewall is very thin which does cause some pinch flats often, i have recently changed from a rubber queen to a rain king and the tyre is MUCH better, grip is amazing! and the sidewall is just unreal, although i would say that it is still more bouncy than a maxxis! I have been running a maxxis ultralight (100g ish) innertube in mine at around 20psi and have no worries about pinching it!

Adam

Rubber queen is a very good tyre, but due to the light weight-ness of it the sidewall is very thin which does cause some pinch flats often, i have recently changed from a rubber queen to a rain king and the tyre is MUCH better, grip is amazing! and the sidewall is just unreal, although i would say that it is still more bouncy than a maxxis! I have been running a maxxis ultralight (100g ish) innertube in mine at around 20psi and have no worries about pinching it!

Adam

hmm, but I have to say, I have never even pinch flatted a maxxis.. I weigh 70kgs, and ride fairly smooth I guess..

So bounce would be like first Rubber queen>der Kaiser/or Rain king>maxxis ?

thanks

i have been using der kaiser for last 6-7 rides and i dont have words for it. sidewalls are so tough that even if you want you wouldnt do a snake bite. grip is great as i coul feel it. before this one i had try all and this seems to be more bouncy. for weight i dont know

rubber queen didnt give me extra height on sidehops, it felt like it throws you higher and further especially in gaps but actually there wasnt any difference for me. rubber queen may be ok if youre only 70kg and ride very wide rims

id go for maxxis or der kaiser though

i have been using der kaiser for last 6-7 rides and i dont have words for it. sidewalls are so tough that even if you want you wouldnt do a snake bite. grip is great as i coul feel it. before this one i had try all and this seems to be more bouncy. for weight i dont know

I wish they came in 24" =[

I've used a Rain King for about 5 months now and I've only just put it into retirement, and thought I'd try a Der Kaiser. I have a Rubber Queen hanging around as well, but frankly I've been so imprssed with the Rain King and now the DK i've not bothered fitting it. I'd go DK/Rain King.

I guess I'm qualified? Very similar performance wise as th only difference is the tread pattern and you can't go wrong with either. I'd say the rain king was better for mud/wet grass as it has a wider spaced tread pattern, and the DK is blockier and closer spaced so in theory better for street. The side tread pattern is, in theory, better on the Rain King than the DK as it has wider spaced knobs that would hang onto corners better.

Having said that, I havn't noticed wild difference in perfomance between the 2, as the compound is the same and generally thats the most important feature.

Strictly speaking I can't comment because I haven't used a Der Kaiser, but stick with Maxxis.

Best value for money trials tyre there is. Unless you enjoy fixing punctures.

Value wise, I'd say Continental were better, actually. I just put my rain king into retirement and it was over 5 months old... I used to get about 2 months out of a ST Maxxis.

Puncture wise, Rain Kings and Der Kaisers are simply amazing compared to Maxxis.

thanks for that info neil... you always post helpful stuff, cheers mate!

im currently sponsored by maxxis australia so havent used contis yet. but at nationals i was very impressed with the compound of a mates rain king tyre. safe to say he had bit more grip than me on the amazingly drenched wet rocks and logs. its great to hear they are more resilient to punctures than the rq.

i stil rate maxxis though, but the contis are definately a worthy competitor for top tyre position by the sound of it..