Proper Pissed Off

leeW

I went out to my garage this evening to have a fiddle with my rear break,

Took bout an hour to get my pads where i wanted them, I was getting really f**ked off as i couldnt get them where i wanted them,

Then just as i had finnished setting them up, i let small amout of oil out to set lever,

Then SNAP!!!!!! i over tightened the bleed screw thing and now i have a split in the leaver housing

Oil went f**king everywhere, my frame, my trainers(white) and my jeans, i went ape shit.

Over an hour only for that to happen.

Not a good night. :angry:

do nothing now

go to bed. and work on it in the morning otherwise youll snap something else now

Ive been livid about 4 weeks ago:

Bought a new frame and the brake mounts were tapped, just holes. Tried to tap it and f**ked it up so I had no bike for a demo I had to do on the Weekend.

Built up a frame Will Arnold had, missed the first slot, had it ready for the second one. Then snapped the rear axle in my BT hub :/ No one had a spare

Next day I borrowed another bike. Did a demo, then was practicing, snapped the BB axle :/

After demoing on two more bikes, I got a BB from home (driving about 40 miles through traffic)

Finally after this, I got the pirahna, but no money to build anything. Scraped some cash together in the sale section to buy a rear hub off Pat Donavon. Built the wheel, now needed a headset with no money :(

Loaned off my mum to buy it, only for the bearings to get destoryed. FINALLY got it running well enough to make a video and yesterday I snapped the stem :/

soooo yeah thats my 'bad' month. Things are looking up though (Y) Only got the £200 loan to pay back to my mum, and £250 summer retainer for my uni house left to pay.

Auto Luke - The angry thread would be ideal for your current expressions of disaster and destruction.

I realised that after i posted this so its in "they angry thread" now.

do nothing now

go to bed. and work on it in the morning otherwise youll snap something else now

Bought a new frame and the brake mounts were tapped, just holes. Tried to tap it and f**ked it up so I had no bike for a demo I had to do on the Weekend.

Built up a frame Will Arnold had, missed the first slot, had it ready for the second one. Then snapped the rear axle in my BT hub :/ No one had a spare

Next day I borrowed another bike. Did a demo, then was practicing, snapped the BB axle :/

After demoing on two more bikes, I got a BB from home (driving about 40 miles through traffic)

Finally after this, I got the pirahna, but no money to build anything. Scraped some cash together in the sale section to buy a rear hub off Pat Donavon. Built the wheel, now needed a headset with no money :(

Loaned off my mum to buy it, only for the bearings to get destoryed. FINALLY got it running well enough to make a video and yesterday I snapped the stem :/

soooo yeah thats my 'bad' month. Things are looking up though (Y) Only got the £200 loan to pay back to my mum, and £250 summer retainer for my uni house left to pay.

Oh dear, not good at all mate.

do nothing now

Next day I borrowed another bike. Did a demo, then was practicing, snapped the BB axle :/ LIES IT WAS HUB AXLE :P

the best way to set the pads very precisely and easily is to use Echo SL clamps. They are truly amazing. The aluminum rings make the settings so much easier and precise. Much better than the plastic rings from magura.

How can you over-tighten the bleed screw? It only needs to be nipped up, then a tiny bit more just to seal it.

I wish they'd make those metal rings available to buy, the clamps that don't need them, (new try-alls, I think the echo TRs aswell?), just don't work IMO, if the mounts are welded to the frame even slightly out, the pads will be on the piss.

the best way to set the pads very precisely and easily is to use Echo SL clamps. They are truly amazing. The aluminum rings make the settings so much easier and precise. Much better than the plastic rings from magura.

Quoted for truth!

My SL clamps are beast!

I wish they'd make those metal rings available to buy, the clamps that don't need them, (new try-alls, I think the echo TRs aswell?), just don't work IMO, if the mounts are welded to the frame even slightly out, the pads will be on the piss.

fi10flsecu80.jpg

Seems like a lot of work just to get your brake set up straight. :-

What if you have a rim with sidewalls that have a camber? My slaves have to be angled upwards for the pads to hit the rim flat.

Also am I missing the point but a file wont do anything? Its not going to make the brake mount holes parallel. Unless your talking about filing the insides of the hole in the mounts but then the bolt will be all loose and stuff in the whole. God Adam! :P

[hint]

post-26-1246386577_thumb.jpg

[/hint]

:P

Sorry to hear about the brake mate, did you have any luck getting replacement bits? Sorry i was no help but i only had mags once and sold them on.

If you can get someone to bleed them, you could run the front lever upside down on the other side of the bars so you still have the rear brake.

You better be riding this Saturday! lol!

I was meaning both, they'd have to be exactly flat and exactly in line, with a rim that has perfectly parralel sidewalls for it to work properly.

Yep. So for people with 90% of rims and any modern frame with a built in CNC'd booster they're perfect, which is a lot of people. ;)

Also filing the mounts flat isn't really all that much hassle, as you only have to do it once, like disc facing, once its done it's done, and it's well worth doing. (Y)

Unlucky about the break lever, magura's are made from cheese, its stupidly easy to damage them through a small mistake like that.