Any Older People On Here?

MikeWarner

Are there many other people on here around my age? I'll be 34 next week and I'm starting to feel old!!! This is one of the reasons for getting back into trials after about a 12 year break form it - I need to get fit. I'd rate myself as a beginner again though, although I hope to pick it back up quickly again. Somehow I don't think I'm bounce off the ground as well as I used to.

Edited by MikeWarner

Shit. I thought you were like 26/27.

LOL nah, old and wrinkley here :P

I started riding trials when I was 18 or so, rode through uni years till I was about 24, stopped for 4 years and took it up again last year; been riding ages but still crap :D

Didnt get a trials specific frame (zoa boa) till 2005, everything else was ridden on my santacruz chameleon :)

Im 25 and bald already so i consider myself OAP!! haha :D

No seriously i really am lol,i do feel the difference in my riding now,i get tired quicker and when i say for instance knock my knee on the stem,it hurts for longer,that really hurts actualy when you do that,dont do it as much now though since i stopped riding mods :D(Y)

Call that old... bloody kids!! :D

I am 44 this year and my riding mates are Kev, 44.. Tony, 42... Greame, 45 and now Steve Saunders (ex multiple British moto trials champ) who is also now over 40.

We should obviously all know better...!!

Hopefully some of us will be riding a HBTC event later in the summer.

Are there many other people on here around my age? I'll be 34 next week and I'm starting to feel old!!! This is one of the reasons for getting back into trials after about a 12 year break form it - I need to get fit. I'd rate myself as a beginner again though, although I hope to pick it back up quickly again. Somehow I don't think I'm bounce off the ground as well as I used to.

37 & still rockin' ; so should you...

I've discovered Trials in 2008 rode for ~6 months (Stock) and then quit for ~1 year.

I only came back about a month ago (Mod).

I really can't stress enough the importance of starting off using a Mod bikes, the difference is amazing.

After one month only, I am already at a few levels above what I used to be.

If you just coming back, I really urge you to start off using a mod bikes, it will make life much easier for you...

Good luck,

-Eran

Call that old... bloody kids!! :D

I am 44 this year and my riding mates are Kev, 44.. Tony, 42... Greame, 45 and now Steve Saunders (ex multiple British moto trials champ) who is also now over 40.

We should obviously all know better...!!

Hopefully some of us will be riding a HBTC event later in the summer.

Way to go buddy, I'm 37 now and I thought I was old...you beat me hand down...

I really appreciate your ambition & persistence.

You guys rock, Way to go,

-Eran

39 here. Mostly a road biker until I discovered trials. Now, all my other bikes are dusty. =)

37 not very far....however, I believe we should be looked at as role models within the Trials scene (for most of us it is more demanding physically, mentally, and it is much harder to find the time compared to a let's say 16 YO rider).

-Eran

If you just coming back, I really urge you to start off using a mod bikes, it will make life much easier for you...
I've already put together a stock - always did trials on 26" before. There is a link to a video from 1993 in my sig - I did trials for another few years after the video was taken and got much better. Fingers crossed it will all come back to me. It is my birthday on Monday and my bro is buying me a decent helmet. I'll be heading out later that day to try it all out .... should be interesting.

I've already put together a stock - always did trials on 26" before. There is a link to a video from 1993 in my sig - I did trials for another few years after the video was taken and got much better. Fingers crossed it will all come back to me. It is my birthday on Monday and my bro is buying me a decent helmet. I'll be heading out later that day to try it all out .... should be interesting.

Hey mate, I just watched the video in your sig, couldn't help but recognising an old spot of mine when I use to ride bmx.

Padnell jumps right?

The forest bit? That used to be known by me and my mates as Skelly Woods, it was next to Orchard Lea School in Fareham - not sure if it was known as anything else, as I don't believe it had an official name. I don't think you can access it now. BMXers did ammend the slopes in order to create better jumps there.

The forest bit? That used to be known by me and my mates as Skelly Woods, it was next to Orchard Lea School in Fareham - not sure if it was known as anything else, as I don't believe it had an official name. I don't think you can access it now. BMXers did ammend the slopes in order to create better jumps there.

Yeah the forest bit, and if it's in Fareham then it's not the place i'm thinking of.

It looks almost identical to Padnell, 'humps and bumps', as the chavs call it. Which is in Cowplain :lol:

I'm impressed! I'm not riding at that level yet...and I'm riding a Mod, to think that you were riding Trials on a pure XC bikes is amazing (it is so much harder).

Way to go bro!

-E

Back then a trials bike was a XC bike with the saddle down and the big ring removed. My whole front wheel only weighed 620grams and had 28 spokes! But the main thing is the technique - that has changed a lot. It focuses a lot more on manoeuvres from the back wheel. In that video I'm essentially doing a 32" bunny hop onto that ledge. These days you would just hop on the back wheel along side it and hope straight up. This sort of technique was just being developed as I stopped riding.

Oh - I'm now about 2 stone heavier than I was back then!!

Back then a trials bike was a XC bike with the saddle down and the big ring removed. My whole front wheel only weighed 620grams and had 28 spokes! But the main thing is the technique - that has changed a lot. It focuses a lot more on manoeuvres from the back wheel. In that video I'm essentially doing a 32" bunny hop onto that ledge. These days you would just hop on the back wheel along side it and hope straight up. This sort of technique was just being developed as I stopped riding.

Oh - I'm now about 2 stone heavier than I was back then!!

I have been doing motorcycle trials since i was 5 and only took up the biketrial side when i moved from east sussex over to the west country and couldn't afford a new moto in 1996.. and as you said it was still just small xc bike frames. I was well impressed when i got a sunn proper trials frame, broke it and then got a team issue one from the rep for freebie :)

I have recently gone the wrong side of 14 stone so am trying to get out during the week a few times on my Echo and do the motorcycle events at the weekend, may shift a few pounds.. especially if i stop drinking a bottle of wine a night! :)