Tour De France 2009

Christophe'

That's fantastic and all, but you've been dragging it out for about half the thread now...

Hey mark , i didnt drag it out! , It was general wankers that wanted to say it was boring or they did drugs!

Hence The shitty following of TF.

I wanted to keep it nice, but i guess it was too much to ask...........

On a "British dude in the Tour" note, it seemed weird how all the commentators and people texting in were saying that Bradley Wiggins was "Average" today, but he kept up with the head of the peloton and didn't lose time overall? I don't really see how that's a bad thing, bearing in mind none of the other front-runners were particularly outstanding.

For me it's a lot like Moto GP only a lot slower..

boring boring boring

awesome overtaking maneuver/sprint

boring boring boring

massive crash/pileup

boring boring boring

awesome overtaking maneuver/sprint

The only difference being that in Moto GP it's all happening so much quicker and thus more regularly (this is more about the overtaking than the crashing) that it's actually entertaining to watch for long periods of time.

The long drawn out stages of the tour are pretty dull up until the end when they dig deep, unless they have a pile up.

I used to be a roadie, so don't get me wrong, I don't hate the sport, but I have no interest in watching it.

If you don't STFU, I am actually going to suspend you so this topic can actually carry on...

Mark Cavendish looks like a Thalidomide baby, or a dwarf or something.

_46066195_007653963-1.jpg

are you giving me an opertunity to realy offend a moderator?

On a "British dude in the Tour" note, it seemed weird how all the commentators and people texting in were saying that Bradley Wiggins was "Average" today, but he kept up with the head of the peloton and didn't lose time overall? I don't really see how that's a bad thing, bearing in mind none of the other front-runners were particularly outstanding.

mark,, the only person that has made sense tonight

The long drawn out stages of the tour are pretty dull up until the end when they dig deep, unless they have a pile up.

At least they actually keep on moving on the tour... some of those velodrome events at the Olympics are just completely f**ked up. A race where you go really f**king slow for the first 2000m and actually stop and trackstand for periods and then finally sprint the final lap and no more. Why not just do the last lap and be done with it? And don't get me started on the one where you have 100 people and a 1920's motorbike going round...

At least they actually keep on moving on the tour... some of those velodrome events at the Olympics are just completely f**ked up. A race where you go really f**king slow for the first 2000m and actually stop and trackstand for periods and then finally sprint the final lap and no more.

I hear you!

There really are some retarded cycling events, spectators aside.. riding a bike is about having fun, pushing yourself, feeling good and doing what makes you happy. You're not really pushing yourself if you're sat there waiting for your opponent to f**k up.

I'd love to see some turn up to a sprint like that and just blast off the line and leave the other guy standing.

They actually make sense when you know the rules and so on. It's weird, but the keirin velodrome races are actually the one of the biggest betting sports in the whole of Japan.

In Guernsey they used to do a 'slow' race at one of the harbor carnivals (before I was into bikes).. You'd always get the clown who would just sprint from the start and 'win'. He was always my favorite.

What's the craic with them sitting on the start line for so long then?

I'd love to see some turn up to a sprint like that and just blast off the line and leave the other guy standing.

The other person could slipstream them for the entire race, then do them on the final straight when the leader's tiring but they've been able to keep cool the whole race. That's why there's a shitload of tactics involved. I'd also imagine that you could fairly safely describe sprinting as hard as you're physically able for a lap or so as 'pushing yourself'...

Realy?

I love to see pics or what not.

:)

In the book about Chris Hoy and the British Olympics team (Can't remember the name, sorry!), they talk about him going over there to try it. You have to go to a keirin school to learn the official rules and pass tests to be allowed to compete. You have to declare your race strategy up to 2 days before the race (So say if you're going to sit in 2nd, 3rd, or lead out or whatever you're planning) and you're not allowed to change it at all. They're strict as f**k 'cos it's big, big money over there. Quite a bit of stuff online if you Google it!

Added thought: Is it something to do with the person who is second being sat on the other dudes wheel therfore giving him the advantage of slipstream? And being able to slingshot himself Ricky Bobby style?

Edit: I hoped I was quick enough to tag this onto the bottom of my previous post, but yeah, I see what you're saying.

Edited by nichols_sam

What's the craic with them sitting on the start line for so long then?

They're not allowed to do that any more. If you're stationary for more than _ seconds you're DQ'd. The rest of it is waiting to see when someone else is going to make a move, purely because of that slip-stream thing I was saying earlier on. It's a case of seeing if you can just f**king haul away and keep the other person behind, or waiting for them to make a move then slip-stream and see if you can get round them. There's loads of different ways it could go down, basically. That's what I was saying about once you knowing the rules, it's actually pretty interesting. I'm more into out-right sprints, but the more 'eccentric' ones are pretty interesting too!

EDIT: Hoped I was quick enough too, haha.

Added thought: Is it something to do with the person who is second being sat on the other dudes wheel therfore giving him the advantage of slipstream? And being able to slingshot himself Ricky Bobby style?

Edit: I hoped I was quick enough to tag this onto the bottom of my previous post, but yeah, I see what you're saying.

haha , great humour in your second para! lol x :)

Slipstreaming saves 30 percent they reckon.

One of the things with the Keirin is that the Japs gamble hugely on it though isn't it?

Men's%20Keirin%20019.jpg

It ain't normal I tell thee.

It's weird, but the keirin velodrome races are actually the one of the biggest betting sports in the whole of Japan.

In the book about Chris Hoy and the British Olympics team (Can't remember the name, sorry!), they talk about him going over there to try it. You have to go to a keirin school to learn the official rules and pass tests to be allowed to compete. You have to declare your race strategy up to 2 days before the race (So say if you're going to sit in 2nd, 3rd, or lead out or whatever you're planning) and you're not allowed to change it at all. They're strict as f**k 'cos it's big, big money over there. Quite a bit of stuff online if you Google it!

Yep ;)