Wrexham New Skatepark & Bike Trial

toshack1969

These will be on a 15 acre site

Bike will be on multi terrain but would like input from possible users what you want to see there.

there will be a hangout area and repair and custom shop at advanced stage of talks with all suppliers. Memberships will be reuired £10 but this will give you 5 free hours after you have used up the 5 free hours entrance will be £2.50 none members £1.50 members this giving you 1 hourtrack time.

both skate and bike areas will be indoor and outdoor and regular comps will e held.

I want input we plan to devote 10 acres to bike park and 5 acres to skatepark.

Also looking for anyone wih details of old skatepark owners daredevils.

I live about 15 minutes from wrexham, used to skate daredevils quite a bit to be fair, ill see if I can dig anything out(few mates still skate, if nothing else, someone may have phone numbers of people who were involved back in the day).

You say bike will be on multi terrain, not quite sure what this means. but what kind of bike area are you looking at?? youve said trials park, but ill be honest, the trials scene round here isnt massive, so i realise your going to have to throw in a lot more elements to that to make it a success, im thinking your probably thinking outdoor skatepark, combined with the indoor one. and possibly some dirt jumps. which sounds promising.

Where abouts in wrexham are planning on having it(saying your having 5 acres indoors, 10 acres outdoors, I really cant see you having any buildings built specially for this, as the cost would be too high, so im taking a guess that the buildings are already in place, and i can only think of a couple of places in the wrexham area that would possibly have buildings anywhere near that size.

Load more stuff coming your way via PM(as i dont see airing it on a public forum will be beneficial, to anyone, in any way)

Where by in Wrexham are you from mate ?

An i can't see there being anywhere to build it either :S

Sounds a bit to ambitious to me.

Would love it to happen though as there are quite a few BMXers around wrexham.

Im from ellesmere, I can actually think of one place, with suitably large building(maybe not 5 acres large, but certainly 2-3 acres, and a load of wasteland near by)

Im from ellesmere, I can actually think of one place, with suitably large building(maybe not 5 acres large, but certainly 2-3 acres, and a load of wasteland near by)

Where by are you thinking ?

Do you think it will be possable for it to happen ?, having such a large park to be in Wrexham ?

Where by are you thinking ?

Do you think it will be possable for it to happen ?, having such a large park to be in Wrexham ?

Erm, wrexham industrial estate, theres some warehouses down there that have been dead for years, probably even more since the credit crunch has hit home, the place is surrounded by waste land(some of which are used by local mx/enduro riders when they go for a play) its miles away from housing, so no chance of complaints.

Id say no to it being possible for such a large park in wrexham, but to turn one of them buildings and a rear car park into an indoor/outdoor skatepark(this would obviously be a metal or wooden skatepark outside, so it was none permanent, should it go down the sh*tter), is no different to it being done anywhere else with spare warehouses. Theres very little around, merseyside etc is fairly blessed when it comes to indoor skateparks, boneyard, rampworx etc, but theres no indoor skateparks i know of other than the boneyard any where within an hour of wrexham really. and a lot further in some directions. So its definitely got the location. Only thing is itd have to be good, as theres already free parks in wrexham, llangollen, oswestry, that i know of. but indoor/outdoor wise over 2-3 acres, i could see it being quite possible

dont really see the demand for a trials park existing anywhere, but anyone whos keen could tag one onto the side of a skatepark.So I dont see no reason why this lot, and possibly some dirt jumps couldnt/wouldnt happen.

with the 10 acre outdoor site, the lands there, dont really see that a park that big could exist,nor do i see the demand for a park that big, even with dirt jumps etc stuck on the side. And theres no way i feel with the pricing of the place, and its size and location constraints, that itd do much for the mtb brigade(due to llandegla having a whole forest, Xc routes, couple of mediocre dirt jump sections running alongside the xc routes, and the fact that there building what look to be rather good dirt jumps in 2 locations at the site presently.

The only way I see it being that big was if there was an mx track tagged on the side of it as well(but thats just wishful thinking on my part)

This is a great idea i'm not too far away and would certainly use these facilities as regularily as possible...

Does sound like a good idea to have a trials park and skate park together though :)

Chris

Yep !, I think it would defanatly work as i would go about 2-3 times a week as im next door to Wrexham.

And i think they would get plenty of riders there becuase there are already lods of BMXers in Wrexham and i no that there are hundreds of trials beginners in the area that would go there.

Can I say somthing on this issue

This is gonna be an entirely private venture. The deal for the land has nearly been done. Only involvement with council will be change of use and planning permission.

Features and tracks is what i want input in

we are planning a beginner course with supervision and advice. A resident Pro BMXer I cant say who yet but hopefully getting commitment in next few months. The BMx and Skateparks will bein same complex and maybe in some areas bmx and skteparls will merge but be separate by bridges and tunnels.

There will be 3 courses

are plans are

Beginner

intermediate

and pro

one snag will be you will have to show what level your at to get on the higher courses. But there will be advice and tuition to progress you. As for the pro course we have great plans but at the moment we aint saying nothin as we dont want other parks nickin the ideas. 15 acres is not a lot of land. I have taken on board some of the comments on Pricing. Also we plan to have skate and bike repair shops and also maintenance workshops for people to learn how to do it themselves. There will be free parking and we are looking into gettin a bus laid on from Liverpool to the park and from Srewsbury. Cost of transport will include admission to the new park and return to pick up points.

Just out of interest, why transport from Liverpool? Rampworx is one of the biggest and best skateparks in Europe, and has a pretty loyal scene there, so I can't imagine that you'd get all that many people wanting to go to Wrexham instead of their local. Seems like it might just cost you money instead of gaining you much in the way of business?

Hence my Pm asking what exactly your plans for the place where, as youve given us very little info(understandable on wanting people to nick ideas,hence why i left it to pm) as im not quite sure, is this just purely going to be

1) skatepark and trials,

2) skatepark, trials,dirt jumps

3) skatepark, trials, dirt jumps, bmx track??

or is it going to include general mtb'ery, or other sports.

as i said in a pm, if you want me to come up one day, have a look at what youve got,and give you some ideas/input, im more than happy too.

but we could really do with seeing/being told what youve got landwise(as terrain/space is vastly important, on a purely natural trials park in a hillside, 1/4 an acre is a massive amount of land, with enough space for 15-20 sections (uphill/downhill/cross camber etc), but if its flat, tarmac/rubberized, with street obstacles, 1/4 acre is enough space for a few layed out sections, with safe space around them)

My comments made on pricing, where purely on the mtb'ery, and possibly the dirt jump(As i dont fully know what llandegla's new jumps sections are going to be like when there done, and if there going to be priced the same as they are currently) side.

im not quite 100% on this whole 3 course thing, are you saying the areas will be totally seperate, like as a begginer i wont be able to go onto the bigger obstacles/the bigger skatepark, and likewise the better riders will ride in a different area to us, as im not sure that will work to well. (main reason being people are good at different things, for example, id struggle to clear a 10 foot funbox, as i was a fat kid, so naturally was shit at jumping, however give me a 10-14 foot half pipe, and ill ride it fine) likewise on rollerblades, i cant drop in, but ill grind a box/rail.

But again, dependant on what kind of venue your thinking trials wise:

Flat tarmac/rubberized : Cars(scrap uns, windows removed, plates welded over, corners plated up, with wheels off, dropped on the ground) blocks of varying sizes/heights/cotton reels/balance beams)

natural hillside : the hillside itself, perhaps with a few logs/rocks in places, tight turns, etc.

One of the best parts of trials is that everyone can ride everything too - just need to look at the DJ ride at Abingdon to see how the best riders in the UK could ride the same course as some beginners, they just use the available obstacles differently.

Can I say somthing on this issue

This is gonna be an entirely private venture. The deal for the land has nearly been done. Only involvement with council will be change of use and planning permission.

Features and tracks is what i want input in

we are planning a beginner course with supervision and advice. A resident Pro BMXer I cant say who yet but hopefully getting commitment in next few months. The BMx and Skateparks will bein same complex and maybe in some areas bmx and skteparls will merge but be separate by bridges and tunnels.

There will be 3 courses

are plans are

Beginner

intermediate

and pro

one snag will be you will have to show what level your at to get on the higher courses. But there will be advice and tuition to progress you. As for the pro course we have great plans but at the moment we aint saying nothin as we dont want other parks nickin the ideas. 15 acres is not a lot of land. I have taken on board some of the comments on Pricing. Also we plan to have skate and bike repair shops and also maintenance workshops for people to learn how to do it themselves. There will be free parking and we are looking into gettin a bus laid on from Liverpool to the park and from Srewsbury. Cost of transport will include admission to the new park and return to pick up points.

Can i ask when this will be built ?

Will it be in a fue years or during the year ?

And were wil its location be ?

Thanks

Hi.

This sounds like a very big project to me,

I hope you have secured funding as it will cost a great deal to set up and run.

If you are totally independent and have no financial support from your local council, the costs to develop 15 acres will be massive on H&S and insurance.

My Centre is only 3 acres outside, with 6 Trials sections and 3 Dirt Jump runs only.

Good luck and I hope you get there.

Mick

15 acres is not a lot of land.

Yes it is, most skate parks are like what 100m-100m?

I don't think you know what your talking about too much and if you secure private finantial backing then I think that they are all mad. You have some very nice ideas but you don't seem to have thought enough about who your target consumer really is. As for changing bus routes etc. your mad, have you looked into the finantial costings of doing this? And if your aiming at DH and BMX riders then they can't take bikes on the buses etc.

Also by your grammer you don't really sound at all proffessional about it, I'm very doubtfull to say ther least, but hey prove me wrong.

I don't think you know what your talking about too much and if you secure private finantial backing then I think that they are all mad. You have some very nice ideas but you don't seem to have thought enough about who your target consumer really is. As for changing bus routes etc. your mad, have you looked into the finantial costings of doing this? And if your aiming at DH and BMX riders then they can't take bikes on the buses etc.

Also by your grammer you don't really sound at all proffessional about it, I'm very doubtfull to say ther least, but hey prove me wrong.

+1, also your market research appears to be 'build it and they will come'...

What are you going to do 9-5 when almost all of your target customer are at work/ school? I'm also dubious that people from liverpool/ shrewsbury/ further afield would want to spend up to an hour each way sat on a bus just to ride for an hour or two in the evenings. Personally if I was looking to do it I'd do it in a large city where there isn't much in the way of skate parks, wolverhampton perhaps. Relatively cheap rent, good transport links and center of country location, and shed loads of people around to ride it or get a 10 minute train from Birmingham. I'd imagine the only real positive of wrexham is that the rent is quite cheap?

Not criticising, just intrigued to see how you're going to make it work... Out of interest what is your current job?

Also who pays to ride a skatepark? We have 1 small one round here which is always empty, due to 4-5 local parks which are free. If you think your going to persuade a hard nosed business man to invest then you need to massivly scale down your project, think about profits, break even analysis's, maybe make a USP of it being inside so your almost guarenteed to have riders paying to ride when its raining (which is a lot of the time) and parents paying to know that their kids are safe etc. And you really need to get the location right.

Why are you trying to get 3 totally different riding disciplines in the same place as well? If you come to ride BMX you will ride the skateparks and BMX track, if you come to ride trials you will most likley only ride the trials rig, and DH riders will only ride the downhill... finding 15 acres cheap, in a place where there are a lot of people to come and ride??? your mad.

Sounds 1000X less plausible than my business studies CW where I made half the shit up. (just to clear up my CW was 10+ A4 pages long, with break even analysis, ballance sheets, monthly forecasts to calculate the liquidity of the business, design and planning costings, analysis of opportunity cost....... etc. I re-drafted this about 10 times fully. You have put up 3 poorly spelt / arranged infomation which is very dissapointing for me. Seeing as my CW was only about setting up a tiny sandwhich shop and your planning to design and build a multi million pound project, on no technical basis)

Edited by Simpson

Most shit ones are, yeah. Decent ones aren't.

If you're looking for ideas for something a bit different, and that'd be open to multiple uses (Which would be better than creating loads of different setups just to cater for skills or what have you), look at something like Prissick Plaza.

Also who pays to ride a skatepark? We have 1 small one round here which is always empty, due to 4-5 local parks which are free. If you think your going to persuade a hard nosed business man to invest then you need to massivly scale down your project, think about profits, break even analysis's, maybe make a USP of it being inside so your almost guarenteed to have riders paying to ride when its raining (which is a lot of the time) and parents paying to know that their kids are safe etc. And you really need to get the location right.

Why are you trying to get 3 totally different riding disciplines in the same place as well? If you come to ride BMX you will ride the skateparks and BMX track, if you come to ride trials you will most likley only ride the trials rig, and DH riders will only ride the downhill... finding 15 acres cheap, in a place where there are a lot of people to come and ride??? your mad.

Sounds 1000X less plausible than my business studies CW where I made half the shit up. (just to clear up my CW was 10+ A4 pages long, with break even analysis, ballance sheets, monthly forecasts to calculate the liquidity of the business, design and planning costings, analysis of opportunity cost....... etc. I re-drafted this about 10 times fully. You have put up 3 poorly spelt / arranged infomation which is very dissapointing for me. Seeing as my CW was only about setting up a tiny sandwhich shop and your planning to design and build a multi million pound project, on no technical basis)

Multimillion pound project my arse.

But I do Agree with Simpson.

I looked into doing a similar thing last year along very similar lines and wrote the idea off.

I have another project ongoing which is very much scaled down and aimed at a slightly different target market to my original plan.

Your Location doesn't appear to be the best for such a large project, the midlands, oop north or south west would be better.

You may be only in the idea stage at the minute and so collecting comments is the way to go. Take no opinion as gospel as naysayers tend to be the first to pipe up when you are scoping out a market but their comments are equally valuable as enthusiastic ones, sometimes more so.

Good luck in your venture and I hope it works out for you.

Matt

Matt

Edited by Matt Vandart