Noisey Rear Brake

Stevie

Hi,

I got some new Onza Citrus pads for my rear HS33, and there brilliant but they really are extremely noisey.

I was riding tonight and i had people telling me to F*** off because they are so noisy, i'm not expecting them to be quiet or neither am i moaning but, is there any possible way of making them quiter without sacrifising the amazing bite?

Thanks for any help

Stevie

Hi,

I got some new Onza Citrus pads for my rear HS33, and there brilliant but they really are extremely noisey.

I was riding tonight and i had people telling me to F*** off because they are so noisy, i'm not expecting them to be quiet or neither am i moaning but, is there any possible way of making them quiter without sacrifising the amazing bite?

Thanks for any help

Stevie

Do You have a ground rimwall or has tar been applied? Or is it generally just noisy?

How are the pads, was thinking of getting some about 2 days ago?

What frame/booster combo are you running?

If you've not got a booster on at the moment, then definitely fit one - not only will it reduce the noise, but also vastly improve the hold too (depending on how stiff your frame is of course). Other than that, let the pads and grind (if you've one) wear down - pads with less meat on them will be quieter, as will generally brakes with more worn grinds. :)

Do You have a ground rimwall or has tar been applied? Or is it generally just noisy?

How are the pads, was thinking of getting some about 2 days ago?

Smooth rim, and no tar never used tar.

And the pads are amazing, sharp bite and brilliant hold, just ever so slightly noisy ^_^

generally the noise is generated from vibration of the pads through the brake then onto the frame... unfortunately i doubt there's much you can do to eliminate the noise without sacrificing braking power, either deal with it or change pads? or whack some grease on ALL the contact points from the brake onwards to the frame, so loads of grease on bolts, booster if you have one, small dab on the backing where it clips on the maggie and maybe all over the O ring and 4 bolt clamps? might help..

its annoying, but i guess if you're an attention seeker its not that bad at all :P

steve

What frame/booster combo are you running?

If you've not got a booster on at the moment, then definitely fit one - not only will it reduce the noise, but also vastly improve the hold too (depending on how stiff your frame is of course). Other than that, let the pads and grind (if you've one) wear down - pads with less meat on them will be quieter, as will generally brakes with more worn grinds. :)

It's an onza blade, and no booster. I was thinking of fitting a booster soon anyways as my frame does flex slightly when i pull hard.

And thanks for the well explained reply :)

Thanks for the replys guys,

I don't fancy grinding down my new pads but thanks for the advise anyways all much appreciated.

I'll look into a booster soon, i'm riding all day sunday probably wont have it by then so i'm going to have fun squeaking away for a while.

Thanks

Stevie

Well to be honest, if people are telling you to f**k off, then don't.

UNLESS, you're in a private area (eg: outside of a business where people are working and the owner is telling you to move on).

I myself got some new pads recently, [plazmatics] and seriously, every time I touch my brake lever it sounds like an elephants stalking me.

I've been told after i've used them for a month of 2 though they will have fully bedded in and should be half as loud.

Patience my friend :)

Well after a lil more riding with them today, i swear they got louder but less powerful :S

And as for not moving on when people tell me to F*** off, it's kinda difficult when there's 2 of us and 15 ish of them, sadly the idiots ruin it again :(

Not too sure what to do now.

Only solution is to get a disc.

Unless you want to squirt oil all over your rim and die.

Haha ^_^

The noise doesn't really bother me too much personally (i kinda got used to it), i'm just worried that i'm annoying people where i ride which isn't good when places to ride are limited around my area.

Also i wouldnt mind the noise as much if my brake was actually good, i'm going to purchase a booster i think; i have lots of flex in my frame which can't be helping the matter.

Thanks for all your replies guys :)

Steve

are the red croco ones basically the same as the yellows? Am thinking of getting some :D

I think the reds are a little softer than the yellows and the new clear ones are even softer than the reds.

I've got the clear pads but dont like them. The brakes either on or off with these, too bitey for me. I prefer a brake you can modulate a bit.

I vote yellows or browns.

Edited by Jimmy_k