The Future Technologies Thread!

arw_86

technology is moving on at scary speeds. Just when you think things can't get any better, faster, easier, smaller, smoother, lighter etc etc they bring something else out that makes you suprised to say the least.

i have created this thread (did a search, nothing came up for something similar) for people to discuss and show different technologies that are planned for the future, or for technologies that people believe will happen.

ill give some travel examples to start...

a plane engine has been tested for commercial use (back in 2001 i might add) that can reach speeds of up to 5000mph, meaning london to new york in less than an hour and london to sydney in two!! have a read, scramjet i know jet fighters are quick, but this quick? and commercial with hundreds on board? more than 3 times faster than concord. would def make me want to go to australia!! lol

another example of travel is a train idea....again 5-6000mph can be achieved. vactrain

as an example if you think back ten years ago to what tv's were like then, and what they are like now! But imagine in 20 years time!!!

show me and everyone future technologies you have found out about or discuss ones that have been posted.

take it away

adam

im worried future technology will make people completely anti social and totally lazy. i personally think its a worrying thing as it already seems to be taking effect compared to just a few years ago.

Word, this is already happening.

In regards to the scramjet, the G-force from flying at full speed might not be viable.

I think they should hurry the f**k up with that, though. The concorde was a brilliant piece of engineering, and it's been grounded. It's time to build something better.

I'd love to add some insider knowledge to this thread but I don't want the sack or to be locked up by the American government.

I'll just leave it at "There's some really cool military stuff coming out soon".

you big tease!! lol

With regards to planes, i don't think we'll see much 1000mph + travel for a long long time. The idea of getting from the uk to the usa in just over an hour would be my dream come true but i'll be surprised if I see it in my lifetime.

Concorde's cruise speed was just over mach 2... That's well over 1000mph.

Worded that wrong, I mean I don't think we'll see anything like that again for a long time. 680mph I think is all we're going to see for at least the next quarter of a decade. There seems too many safety regulations holding everything back. It's not a bad thing though.

Random one for you, there is a Concorde in France at the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport which was supposed to be kept in "ground running" condition but they have to ask permission and start it up at special times.

They've been starting it up willy nilly and a few months back they did it whilst a health and safety inspector was on site and the chances are it's going to be cut up because they can't be trusted with it...

Not many people know about this yet (Y)

Random one for you, there is a Concorde in France at the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport which was supposed to be kept in "ground running" condition but they have to ask permission and start it up at special times.

They've been starting it up willy nilly and a few months back they did it whilst a health and safety inspector was on site and the chances are it's going to be cut up because they can't be trusted with it...

Not many people know about this yet (Y)

:lol:

scram jet is miles away

look into the issues the SR-17 blackbirds experienced pushing the envelope just that lilttle bit further.

- the thermal expansion of the materials meant the nose cone had to be 'ironed' flat with blowtorches after each flight

- the fuel tanks and oil resivoirs leak when stationary as they have expanded and contracted so much, making them extremely dangerous to work around

- the power plant was so voiltile and highly strung that if the one engine has a tiny, tiny misfire, the plane would cream in at mach 3.

- oh and that only had to carry a few highly skilled and experienced proffesionals

making the engine is fine, concorde was fine in the engine department. its the plane which is overstressed

Edited by shamus

making the engine is fine, concorde was fine in the engine department. its the plane which is overstressed

Yeah, but thats hardly a big problem is it ? If they've got the aerodynamics and the engine to do it they can sure as hell make a fuselage and and fuel tanks to deal with the extra forces and expansion...

And I don't know what point you were trying to make by popping Concorde in the mix there but Concorde was one of the safest and most successful passenger aircraft produced....

Edited by Pashley26

I am aware of Concorde's safety record, which is almost unmarked.

but then the 747 would take 18,000 years of flying every day for an you to be killed by it :P

my point was the first thing developed for Concorde was the engines but that the technology had been around for a significant period of time and it took quite a while for the fuselage to catch up.

it was essentially built around the engines. which is of course true for the scram but...

the leap from Concorde aerodynamics to a potential 5000mph is a quantum leap in forces and stress.

don't get me wrong it is possible. just probably at the end of our lifetimes and thats if the funding is kept going

but the aerodynamics for the scram are so knife edge and unstable the idea of it becoming a viable, safe commercial travel option are a long way away.

its almost the same as saying everyone will be travelling by space shuttle soon

lets not forget one of the first scram jets was launched from a tried and tested SR-17, it promptly exploded when it hit the shockwave from the nose of the 'mothership' and destroyed both the planes, killing all the crew of the SR-17

I'm not trying to provoke an arguement its just my opinion, based on information i have read on the subject and any background knowledge, that its a loooooong way off as a passenger carrier

Thing is, the scramjet is capable of 5000mph, but it doesn't mean you have to use it at 5000mph. If it was used at 2000mph, that would be fast enough for the time being.

I would've thought the Gs at 5000mph would be significant?

The concorde only failed because they weren't being maintained right. The concorde was grounded when one crashed into france.

However... here's the trick, we had the technology to build one all those years ago, and technology has improved since then, why can't we just make new ones?

An old car is more likely to break than the same car brand new, so it's the same for anything else.

We could make a concorde with all the uncrashable technology from the Boeing planes, and a much stronger constructed body...

I'd pay to go to america in a concorde. It's a case of, if the concorde was brought back I'd definately go, but as it is, it could be a long time.