Big Boys Bikes

Christophe'

Ideal, looks like fun!

I'm in the process of buying an Intense 5.5 w/ cane creek double barrel ti spring'd shock.

Good choice! I was riding a heckler with pikes in the video.

It was just about good enough, but was hard work keeping up with 5 other guys on full on dh bikes.

Thinking about an iron horse sunday for next year.

:)

Looks fun! Nick, up for a trip some time next year? I'm sure my matey from my shop will want to come, and we ride with about 4 other people... It just looks so awesome cos it's not, walk up hill for 10 mins, fly down it in 1 min, it's relax on lift then hoon down for 8 mins...

Winterberg would be awesome.

oh my god TF DH HOLIDAY!

Edited by Fixed Pantsâ„¢

Looks fun! Nick, up for a trip some time next year? I'm sure my matey from my shop will want to come, and we ride with about 4 other people... It just looks so awesome cos it's not, walk up hill for 10 mins, fly down it in 1 min, it's relax on lift then hoon down for 8 mins...

oh my god TF DH HOLIDAY!

Holiday could be very interesting!

oh my god TF DH HOLIDAY!

You up for a week long thrashing on foreign shores???

It'd be rather cheap, (lift passes are like €20 for the day €40 for the week, dependant on wether ud move round or not) then for everything else campings like €20-30 for a big tent for a night, ferrys £45-50, and itd be like £160 fuel, split 4 ways thatd be like under a ton each + lift passes.

Only issue is Glen, I dont particularly want to speak to you, let alone spend a week on holiday with you. Not to mention how tedious it'd be for everyone else waiting for you at the bottom of every run.

It'd be rather cheap, (lift passes are like €20 for the day €40 for the week, dependant on wether ud move round or not) then for everything else campings like €20-30 for a big tent for a night, ferrys £45-50, and itd be like £160 fuel, split 4 ways thatd be like under a ton each + lift passes.

Only issue is Glen, I dont particularly want to speak to you, let alone spend a week on holiday with you. Not to mention how tedious it'd be for everyone else waiting for you at the bottom of every run.

Built up to shoot down! Sick burn...

I'm sure we could pretend to like eachother for a week...

Does sound like an idea and a half though! I can get any time off any time next year... Especially after april.

Lift pass was 70 Euros each

fuel and toll fees ended up being 340 Euros for a car laiden with 3 people and all luggage.

Euro tunnel was £150 return , booked realy early.

So no,, its not cheap.

Trail addiction was £450 each full board , fully guided for 5 days.

And yes it can be done cheaper if your jewish.:)

Lift pass was 70 Euros each

fuel and toll fees ended up being 340 Euros for a car laiden with 3 people and all luggage.

Euro tunnel was £150 return , booked realy early.

So no,, its not cheap.

Trail addiction was £450 each full board , fully guided for 5 days.

And yes it can be done cheaper if your jewish.:)

Lift pass varies from region to region though.

Fuel, we just got a ford ranger from manchester to the very south of france(like 30 miles from the spanish border) and back, for like £450 inclusive of tolls, and that was with hooning it, and obviously spending longer on toll roads, and filling up at motorway service stations the whole way(when in reality if wed pulled 2 miles off the motorway to get cheaper better food from a carrefour or hyper U, wed of saved 20 cents a litre) and the truck was 4 up and piled to the brim with stuff.

London to morzine is 630 miles driving, which is just over a tankful in my car with spirited driving on mixed roads, and its £60 to a tank(so at a guess £50-52 a tank with the exchange rate and the slightly cheaper prices) so call it £130 on fuel. + tolls (not sure how much theyd be to morzine and back)

ferry cost £59 return for my car, which went up to like £73 when we changed the vehicle to a ford ranger, which was classed as a high car/van.

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

I'm gutted I didnt make it this year with you guys and cant wait for next summer!

I also find it amusing seeing Kev crashed at the side of the trail at 2 minutes and even more amusing that you went the wrong way and missed the last section of trail :P

lol yer I was being thick!

There are 2 minutes missing from that run.

kev was having a bad time of it realy! he forgot to get his new contact lenses in time and was riding in a blur.

Lift pass varies from region to region though.

London to morzine is 630 miles driving, which is just over a tankful in my car with spirited driving on mixed roads, and its £60 to a tank(so at a guess £50-52 a tank with the exchange rate and the slightly cheaper prices) so call it £130 on fuel. + tolls (not sure how much theyd be to morzine and back)

Lift passes do vary, but the weekly price is more than you originally suggested. I just checked Morzine/Les Gets prices and its 80 euros for a 6 day pass or 20 euros per day. In Les Arcs they are 70 euros for the week or 20 euros per day.

Tolls to Les Arcs were around £50 each way last year.

Imagine the amount of people we could get in theory to go on a tf MOUNTAIN trip!
I recon something needs to be organised. It doesnt have to be somewhere exotic like the Alps, it could be a Welsh trail centre, or somewhere like Swinley, Cannock or Chicksands...

If people didnt want to earn their descents by first riding up the hills and we were organised we could all book on the same uplift day at Cwn Carn or UK Bike Park...

UK Bike Park is about a million miles from anywhere vaguely north though :P

Helmet cam videos always look rubbish. Sorry, but they're really uninteresting. The only decent ones are where there is a bit of overtaking - E.g. the Megavalanche (search on youtube if you're interested).

Ah nice, just got back from a roadtrip round Europe, finally decided to get away from the portes du soleil after far too many years of Morzine. Some of the secret/walkers path stuff in Les Arcs was amazing, especially under the pipes down to bourg, really steep and tech. We managed to do it on the cheap, 2 weeks, camping in 6 different resorts, ferry, tolls, petrol and lift passes came to £450...we even managed to eat out twice..bonus! Did the mega this year...most knackering thing ever..especially on a giant glory..the videos don't show you that a massive section of it is uphill and on road...longest downhill race is a bit of a con.

I reckon a tf uplift day somewhere would be good...trouble with UK bike park, apart from being right at the bottom of England is the runs seem really really short when you are uplifting, makes you really realise how small the hill actually is.

Some of the secret/walkers path stuff in Les Arcs was amazing, especially under the pipes down to bourg, really steep and tech.

I reckon a tf uplift day somewhere would be good...trouble with UK bike park, apart from being right at the bottom of England is the runs seem really really short when you are uplifting, makes you really realise how small the hill actually is.

Ah you found the White 8 trail then, good stuff isnt it! Les Arcs is all about the un-marked trails :)

Other than Fort William where in the UK is there an up lift service that offer long runs though?

While I am here, people need to post pictures of their mountain bikes in the MTB Pics Thread I started last week :P

Yeah, the un marked stuff in Les Arcs was so good, i reckon it was the only place we could have spent more time at as we just kept discovering more and more, i will definitely be heading back there. Another thing we found with moving away from Morzine was how amazing the weather was, the trails were SO dusty, i made a nice little dust cloud in deux alpes :P

dustcloud.jpg

Yeah to be fair fort bill is probably the only place..except that's the other extreme in distance. Cwm Carn is always fun for a bit but that has the problem of only one track. I really don't mind, i think UK bikepark is a really good place, and nice and close to me, it's just i almost think it's more worth while just pushing up that epic push up path.

Edited by Iain C

Yeah the BUSA BUCS was at UK Bike Park this year, and I quite enjoyed the DH there. They've done well to make a decent track with such little elevation to play with, I was very impressed. I decided the push-up was a lot easier than waiting for uplifts, but then it was very busy (the uplift queue was about 45 minutes :S ). It's sooo far from here though.

Been really getting back into off-road riding recently after a couple of mates have got there bikes working again. Loving it. Found a really nice local area of trails too, which a mate's building into some awesome downhillish stuff, should be awesome when finished. I want to get out to UK bike park soon, as it's less than an hour from here, so it's kind of gotta to be done.

My (dare I say it) Carrera. Don't mock them till you've tried riding a well set up one though, they're actually very nice out on the trails. :P

7729_134453644854_514709854_2345525_5495

7729_134453649854_514709854_2345526_4883

Managed to send my rear mech through the spokes last Thursday though, which was a bit of a bugger. Wheels sorted now, 2 spokes and a bit of a tweak later, and I'm waiting for an XT shadow rear mech and a matching XT shifter to arrive along with a new hanger.

Oh yeah, the spec has nothing to do with the carrera full builds, it just worked out cheeper than pretty much any other frame out the to buy the whole bike and sell the parts, all the parts are a random selection I've built up over the last 2 years on my old frame. Only things on my wish list now are: a lighter rear wheel and front rim (anyone want a Ringle Abbah SOS on D321, 36h with black DB'd DT's) some slightly more heat resistant breaks, and an oversized Easton bar and stem.