Chain On The Left Side Of Bike.

noname

I looked into doing this a few years ago (I sidehop to the right and was sick of ruining mech hangers etc).

The trouble is, the only LHD hubs available wouldn't really stand up to trials riding; the threads on your cranks etc. would be backwards due to swapping sides (and so would come undone/f*ck themselves as you pedalled); in order to run a mech hanger you'd pretty much have to get a frame custom made to have gears fitted on the left etc. etc.

All in all I decided it just wasn't worth the bother (if it was, someone would have come up with it a while ago I reckon) and that at the end of the day there was no real advantage to having LHD on a trials bike and just learned to sidehop better.

Edited by Ben Swales

My BMX Had it. You've gotta get a reversed hub though or something along those lines, I personally prefer it as I'm left footed - Handed - the works haha. When I used to ride BMX it made life so much easier for me. But yeah, its very possible :)

It is ''possible'' but its so unrealistic its just not worth it. I would love nothing more than a left drive train but theres no real way to do it on a trials bike. For instance like has been said, you need an opposite hub....probably not up to trials use, but even if you used that, what cranks would you run? If you found some left hand drive train cranks they probably wouldn't suit a normal BB so you couldn't run them anyway. SO custom cranks are really whats needed.

Also, you'd need horizontal drop outs or a 74Kingz.............so you add it all up and it just isn't going to happen. A lot easier if you wanted on on your BMX however......

I guess having chain on left side would be better for left footers, because most of strenght then would go to freewheel when pedalkicking and not to BB. Thus would save some energy. I guess it would be possible if use fixed hub, with threads on both sides, chain would suite. Most problems would be with cranks and freewheel (it would go in opposite direction).

Is it possible just put BB otherwise into frame, thus longest end would be on left side and i could put on right sided crank on that left side of bb.

Still remains problem with freewheel...

It's possiable if you get a LHD hub, Which oddessey ( bmx make ) do , But i dont think on of them hubs could take the amount of stress from trials.

People were/are more than happy to run Profile cassettes, and they come in every option they do in RHD but in LHD.

I looked into doing this a few years ago (I sidehop to the right and was sick of ruining mech hangers etc).

The trouble is, the only LHD hubs available wouldn't really stand up to trials riding; the threads on your cranks etc. would be backwards due to swapping sides (and so would come undone/f*ck themselves as you pedalled); in order to run a mech hanger you'd pretty much have to get a frame custom made to have gears fitted on the left etc. etc.

All in all I decided it just wasn't worth the bother (if it was, someone would have come up with it a while ago I reckon) and that at the end of the day there was no real advantage to having LHD on a trials bike and just learned to sidehop better.

As I said, Profile would be fine - and there are some lighter BMX cranks out there too. If you got one with a 19mm spindle it might be alright with a Euro BB (aka MTB style), with a ti spindle 'n' stuff. Should work out reeeasonably light, but obviously not as light as a 'normal' FFW setup.

I saw a kid once with an LHD profile. Limited edition though :/

LHD Profiles aren't limited edition, unless you mean the colourway.

If it helps my zhi hub has threads on both sides. It was from t-uk but dont buy from them!

Heres a link anyway :

http://www.trials-uk.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=2281

It's a flip flop, not LHD. Means you can have 2 sprockets and just flip the wheel to change the ratio.

It's doable! You'd need a set of BMX cranks though I think, and probably a custom sprocket to give you an 18t ring and a bash combined.

Technically you could just put your cranks on the wrong side. I know the pedals would be more likely to unscrew themselves, but if you use locktight and occasionally check them it should not cause a problem, just take a while to get used to.

However I still don't see the point, most bmxer's who run lhd do so to stop themselves damaging the chain and sprocket when grinding, but that is no problem on  a trials bike as everyone runs a bash and don't slide along walls and rails! 

If you swap your cranks, the pedals, if anything, will tighten. Think about it. Usually the right-hand crank has a right-hand thread for the pedal, so when you're pedalling forwards it's trying to undo it (imagine the crank as a spanner rotating about the pedal).

You're exactly wrong on that point. Google for thread precession to find out what's actually happening where the pedal thread meets the cranks.