Hard Hands

Milford Cubicle

Reet so i've started bouldering but although i used to have tough skin on my hands from biking havn't ridden in long and every time i go climbing my hands get shredded. Is there any way's that i can toughen up my hands really quickly so i can actually get through a whole climbing session? Any help appreiciated :)

billx

Just climb more. If you've only just started climbing, you can toughen up your hands but your upper body strength will still be shit. And then you can get stronger but your grip won't be good enough. And then you'll be strong enough but have no technique :P

I know what you're saying, it is annoying. Don't push yourself and get a tendon injury though. The best thing to do is to vary your climbs - E.g. do some that are fingery-pinchy climbs, then others that are more balance/feet orientated so you're not killing your hands.

Just climb more. If you've only just started climbing, you can toughen up your hands but your upper body strength will still be shit. And then you can get stronger but your grip won't be good enough. And then you'll be strong enough but have no technique :P

I know what you're saying, it is annoying. Don't push yourself and get a tendon injury though. The best thing to do is to vary your climbs - E.g. do some that are fingery-pinchy climbs, then others that are more balance/feet orientated so you're not killing your hands.

Its not so much just climbing, if i do that i rate i'l probs get through a session which im planning to do next time, it's stuff like slipping off when trying to do dyno's is ripping flaps of my skin off which is never kl :(

billx

Its not so much just climbing, if i do that i rate i'l probs get through a session which im planning to do next time, it's stuff like slipping off when trying to do dyno's is ripping flaps of my skin off which is never kl :(

billx

Take it easy on the dynos till you hands toughen up. If your just starting you shouldn't worry about dynos just yet

Hmm you could always do what i did. Get two buckets, fill one with sharp sand and one with hardcore/gravel mixed with sand, the aim of the gravel and sand mix is to cut your hands, then keep shoving your hands in and out of the sharp sand alone, then when it begins to hurt more, cut them more in the gravel and sand mox, then back into the sharp sand. Should take about 4-5 Hours to make your entire hands cut and shred, then just wait for it to scab :)

Hmm you could always do what i did. Get two buckets, fill one with sharp sand and one with hardcore/gravel mixed with sand, the aim of the gravel and sand mix is to cut your hands, then keep shoving your hands in and out of the sharp sand alone, then when it begins to hurt more, cut them more in the gravel and sand mox, then back into the sharp sand. Should take about 4-5 Hours to make your entire hands cut and shred, then just wait for it to scab :)

Seriously?

Anyway, best just to keep at it, Boulderings pretty hardcore, its always going to hurt, but will improve over time

:blink:

And then piss on them.

Matt

You are weird. Very, very, weird.