Whats Your Best Gadget ?

Cotty08

Belt buckle with a bottle opener on/in it. (Y)

Animal belt right ? i have two :D

And definately the ipdo touch after a year of seeing every one have one i wasl ike there shit then i got money and it was like give me an ipod touch bitch !

Nope, mine is an ORIGINAL Rolf Harris Stylophone.

I rescued it from a skip about 10 years ago when I was helping my stepdad (was a chippie then) do a job in London.

Like I would have something that wasn't the original !!!! Pffffttttt......

My box is like this -

Stylophone.jpg

I'd get a photo of the box, but I play the stylophone so I have it out on my desk and the box is in the loft (in a cool box to keep it safe, lol...) with all the original packaging.

Edited by Pashley26

Mine has to be my iphone, i love it when people with shitty samsung touchscreens or nokia ones, and are like " this is exactly the same rarararrr" like sod off you turd the iphone is the best phone there is. period.

its not that my phone is the same as an iphone, its that for ME its better. 1 major thing i abuse the hell out of myphone is turning it into an adhoc wireless router, to get on the net when in wales, or when i was in college in bristol. Iphone didnt support that, and it still doesnt for any other way than via cable/ or on the 3gs with bluetooth(and my laptop doesnt have bluetooth)

the second thing is using it as a sat nav, tomtom has just brought out a sat nav for the iphone, but ive been running garmin mobile xt on my phone for 5 months or so now. Im not sure how tom tom works but i know google maps on iphone, loads every map individually, meaning when we went to the south of france, it would of cost literally £100's of pounds in loading maps,whereas it cost me about £1.30 to use the assisted gps function on the whole trip(and a couple of them kb's may of been actually checking other stuff on the way down)I just selected exactly what maps to load on my phone beforehand (basically put all of western europe on there)and loaded them too it(i could of downloaded new ones on the go i i needed too). I simply have no need for a tip calculator in my life, as generally I just tip to the nearest £5/10 interval, if its a big bill (if the total bills £73/74 they get £80) or if the bills split down to say £15 a head, ill just tip £2) its basic maths. i can work out 10% of a bill fairly easily, and I can divide £85 into 4/6 so its within 50p or so easily as hell in less time that it takes to get your phone out your pocket).

Im not a fan of music etc on the go, really, so I dont particularly like the Ipod touch aspect of it, or at least not to the point I'd buy a phone for it over buying a still functional music player like on the 5800,the couple of times I have used it when I've flattened the battery on my mp3 player for using on my xc bike on a weekend away its worked fine. I like the fact I can use my web browser to find a rapidshare link, my phone is pre signed into rapidshare, so i follow the link, and the file downloads to my phone, I can then unzip it, and play the album, for free.

I use the camera on my 5800 a reasonable amount, not for snapshots, but more for knowing what stuff looks like at work, (when disconnecting wires, or quoting serial numbers off stuff, its easier to photo it, then draw/write it down) I didnt buy the phone thinking of it, but its come in handy, if it hadnt of had a flash, it wouldnt of got used at all.

Its not that I slag them off, its just for me, there was no need to spend the extra money on one over a nokia,which does the things I need of it, better. and it annoys me how people think of them as a major technical revolution, like the george foreman of phones, when in reality, the innovations in the iphone are more like adding the fact that you can get cold water out of your fridge,which you still need to fill up from your tap, which also produces cold water, and is 3 metres away.

One thing me and a few mates have found with Iphones is, people who do manual labourery/tradesman style jobs, dont really find the iphone as that brilliant an invention, however uni students/kids/people who spend a lot of time on public transport/people who tend to have a lot of time on their hands in their jobs tend to like them a lot more, purely because they value their ability as an entertainment device, much more than they do the ability of a phone to act as a phone with a couple of neat things tacked on the side of them. (Which correct me if im wrong, is something which has been proved here by the people who say Iphone, out of the people who I know what they do, Tomm - medical student: likes it cos it does music/games etc, Hendrix - music student:same as tomm, Nick Harding: works nights managing a hotel desk I think, which probably means hes got loadsa time to play around on his phone at 5am. and the people that dont think of it as that brilliant, me, and anzo, im a grease monkey,anzos a computer hacker)

I have an ipod touch 2g and a 5800 and played with lots of my friends iphones and trust me the iphone is a far better piece of technology. the nokia sucks for internet, email, music, video, photo gallery, menus, interface, touchscreen, messaging, navigating, games, applications and probably plenty more. sure the 5800 has a flash but the camera is appalling.

Also, the fact that any touch screen other than an Apple one is utter cod shit. My samsung pixon takes about 3 seconds to respond, have calibrated it god knows how many times. With the ipod/ iphone, you hardly have to press the screen and it just glides. Can scroll down a page pretty quick which is handy for internet browsing.

My gadget has to be my iPod touch.

Edited by Si-man

Hey, don't make me out to be some kind of layabout student bum! I work, and I still think the iPhone is streets ahead of anything else :P The revolution, I think, is that they made a phone do some very clever stuff, in a very sleek simple way that everyone can understand. My Mum can use my iPhone for the internet, and she can barely operate a TV remote control; give her a Winmob phone and it would be out the window in a matter of seconds. Yes, WindowsMobile/Nokia/Blackberry phones have had a web browser for years but it's rubbish - Pages are broken up/ horrible, and navigating around them is difficult even with the stylus (which makes you look like an idiot IMO).

For what it's worth, Tomtom on the iPhone works just the same way as on WinMob - all the maps are downloaded onto the device. As far as I know once you jailbreak you can acquire Tomtom semi-legally, but the full price is a lot of money. I still use my old Winmob phone for tomtom if I ever need it - Google maps isn't very good for in-car navigating, as soon as you lose phone signal it's useless!

This isn't particularly a pro-iPhone rant (actually it sounds exactly like that), I just think some people seem to have a kind of stigma around iPhones. Whether you think they're worth the money (they are very expensive), or whether you think the features are that much better than anything else is sort of besides the point - I don't think you can buy a nicer/more useful phone at the moment.

I have an ipod touch 2g and a 5800 and played with lots of my friends iphones and trust me the iphone is a far better piece of technology. the nokia sucks for internet, email, music, video, photo gallery, menus, interface, touchscreen, messaging, navigating, games, applications and probably plenty more. sure the 5800 has a flash but the camera is appalling.

Meh, Im unsure. Id say theres little in the cameras to be honest with you. but again, it comes down to what you use it for, and how much time you spend using it.or interacting with it whilst your using it for that matter.

Internet- I dont really use the internet on my phone, only thing it gets used for is checking emails, which is supposedly better on iphone, but i dont reply to them, its literally a case of I have hotmail as a shortcut on my home screen, I press the button, it loads up my inbox, I can see the last 15 or so messages, if any of them are important, I click on them, read them, job done. Its purely down to not really being sat around with my phone with nothing to do that much.

Video- I cant count on one hand the amount of times ive used youtube on my phone, the answers 0. see above, about my comment about not having time to play around with my phone that much, if im travelling im, generally driving, as opposed to sitting on the bus, if im at work, im generally busy, as opposed to sat waiting for a customer to come in. I dont have a gf, so its not like im sat outside her work for 40 minutes waiting for her to finish. If im in the pub, im there to get drunk, not update my facebook status. I can see how it would be great if I had a lot of time spare where I was out the house, and alone. but the truth is, I dont.

Photo gallery, again I dont use the camera on my phone really, other than for taking pictures of work stuff, so I dont spend hours flicking through the gallery showing people stuff. Interface/touchscreen, is a meh issue, I've never found with my 5800 that the touchscreen isnt responsive enough, and having had nokias for about 4 years, the menus/navigating are kinda second nature.

Messaging, I downloaded an app for my phone that showed everything in threads, meh, I found it useless and am now back to using regular messaging, because it what im used to, and i dont find the new way innovative or better, maybe its because I recieve no more than 5/10 texts a day,unless im trying to dose a bird, so things dont look like a huge mess in my inbox.

games,much like videos, I dont play them on my phone, Ive tried them on my phone when I first got it. Once again I just dont have the time to spend interacting with my phone other than when im at home,where I have a games console/pc.

apps, as I said before, the only apps that get used on my phone really are joikuspot(wireless adhoc network program).sat nav, and a weather application occasinally, the weather app is more a nice perk, I havent used it in over a month, it just saves 30 seconds checking the weather on the pc if im at work deciding whether to ride or not at the weekend. but at the time of purchase, the iphone had equivalents for neither joikuspot or g mobile xt.

the music thing, for me makes little difference, if im using my phone for music, its because my mp3 player is flat, I plug the headphones into the nokia remote, press the music button on my 5800, select either an album, or play all. chuck it in my camelbak and go riding, if i dont like a song, i may reach down to the remote and press skip, but generally i just let it play(as thats what id have to do if i was using my mp3 player) so its no more hassle than using an ipod/mp3 player, granted, it would annoy the hell out of me, if i was sat on a bus selecting songs, but im not. so it doesnt.

Its not that im anti Iphone, If they had the ability to run an ad hoc wireless network, Id probably have had one over my phone, and I do intend to get one at some point(partly because I want to try one for a month or 2, to see if everyone raving about them is actually right), They probably are the better all round personal entertainment device/phone. but as someone who has an mp3 player purely for the fact it makes sounds, its turned on, its thrown in a bag, thats it. who doesnt use his phone to write emails(in fact i dont really write emails, full stop), an iphone has little advantage over a 5800. Ill give you the fact that there nice to use, and sleek etc, but in pressing the contacts tab, typing F, selecting fish, pressing the green button and starting to talk dirty. The iphones interfact doesnt really get me any harder, to the point where Id want to get one over the wireless connectivity of my 5800. which by the way, runs G mobile XT, with no jail breaking, for free(albeit with the price of going to hell for software piracy)

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

Yes, WindowsMobile/Nokia/Blackberry phones have had a web browser for years but it's rubbish - Pages are broken up/ horrible, and navigating around them is difficult even with the stylus (which makes you look like an idiot IMO).

Hmmm, yes and no. I have Opera Mini on my blackberry, not the standard browser (which is shit). Its verrrry quick and easy to navigate - of course layout is limited to the screen size. I have the 8700 and gives me enough room to comfortably read emails, news, Trials Forum, other geek forums and also movies.

Sure the iphone will be better over all, its a phone based mostly on media function...music, videos, internet. The blackberry does all these too, however is primarily aimed at the business sector. Sure, they're complicated as hell to set up for the everyday user...but in business terms (in my experience with Blackberry Enterprise Server) they're veeeeeery easy to configure, maintain and they rarely go wrong (depending on the reliability of your server overall).

I'm get to see any company take on the iPhone as a business device - probably due to the price, which puts it out of the league compared to a blackberry.